No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I'd trade for Muzzin from LA if at all possible

Muzzin-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher

And no, not trading our 1st.
Posts like this are on par with "we should have drafted player X in the draft Y". Contenders trade for 1.5 years of soon to be 30 year old DMen. The Kings know they have a 1st round pick in the 20's plus a good player/prospect at the deadline. How and why would the Devils want to top that while we are battling teams like Ottawa and Florida for "seeding".

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I love Bratt but I have been reading a lot of complaints about how small the Devils are. I would rather have big, skilled, fast players as opposed to smaller ones.

I don't really care about size

this isn't the 90s where you need to have 6'3'' players up and down the lineup

you are acting as if these "big skilled fast" players are so easy to find

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Posts like this are on par with "we should have drafted player X in the draft Y". Contenders trade for 1.5 years of soon to be 30 year old DMen. The Kings know they have a 1st round pick in the 20's plus a good player/prospect at the deadline. How and why would the Devils want to top that while we are battling teams like Ottawa and Florida for "seeding".

hence why I said "if at all possible"...did you just stop reading?

As you stated, Muzzin is signed for another year which might be a detriment to some teams come trade deadline time.

You can't have every player in your lineup be 20-25 years old. It doesn't work that way. Greene is in the final year or two of his career and past that we don't have NHL ready DMen. You can't just completely dismiss that or you turn into the Oilers.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
hence why I said "if at all possible"...did you just stop reading?

As you stated, Muzzin is signed for another year which might be a detriment to some teams come trade deadline time.

You can't have every player in your lineup be 20-25 years old. It doesn't work that way. Greene is in the final year or two of his career and past that we don't have NHL ready DMen. You can't just completely dismiss that or you turn into the Oilers.
I wish you could read your own posts. One post is draft and develop is the way to go and the next is trade young assets for soon to be 30 year old DMen with 1.5 years left on their contract. That is a well thought out strategy.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't really care about size

this isn't the 90s where you need to have 6'3'' players up and down the lineup

you are acting as if these "big skilled fast" players are so easy to find

You should care about size, we don't have a Crosby and Malkin(although he's a big guy) down the middle to offset that.

We are way too easy to play against because our top 6 might be the smallest in the NHL.

Our defensemen are also soft and we're also pretty small there. It's not a coincidence that we struggle a loy more against physical teams.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Jets have 7 of their own first round draft picks since 2008 on their roster and 3 they acquired. Ten first round picks 28 and younger. That is why they look like a bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled than the Devils. They did not take shortcuts.

Wpg has hit on their last 6 first rounders.
We have not.

Granted they were fortunate to have the 2nd overall the year where there were superstars Top 2 and got Laine, while we got a good solid forward in Nico.

But Schiefle, Connor, Ehlers were great picks in those spots and they are all making huge impacts.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Bc I'm optimistic they win turn this around (with outside help), the small positives are bratt, coleman played well, kk played well, and we got a point..

If I get blasted on here for that idc

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Somehow last year, we were considered a pain in the ass to play against. What's changed in our lineup from last year to this year that we now aren't? Were John Moore, Brian Gibbons and Drew Stafford that influential?

Is it adjustments made around the league that we have no answer for, specifically on the road?

I wish I had these answers.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I wish you could read your own posts. One post is draft and develop is the way to go and the next is trade young assets for soon to be 30 year old DMen with 1.5 years left on their contract. That is a well thought out strategy.

But Muzzin fills a glaring need and it's not like he's a year or two away from retiring. He could still play for another 5+ years. I don't see a way to get him though but I'd love to have him on this team.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Somehow last year, we were considered a pain in the ass to play against. What's changed in our lineup from last year to this year that we now aren't? Were John Moore, Brian Gibbons and Drew Stafford that influential?

Is it adjustments made around the league that we have no answer for, specifically on the road?

I wish I had these answers.
job security happened for players, methinks. some of these guys are coasting and think that their spot is secure

they're right though

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

IN GENERAL, you have to draft and develop to become successful...of course. This doesn't mean that you build a team completely on 25 and under players. That is not a legitimate strategy and no team in the NHL employs that strategy. You need to employ some vets/older players or else you turn into Edmonton.

I know this is like blasphemy to you, but it is OK to trade picks SOMETIMES if the trade is right and makes sense. Shero has shown that for the most part, he wins trades when they occur. This is why I said if its at all possible to acquire Muzzin without giving up our 1st round pick this year, I would absolutely be in for that.

Yes, Muzzin is 29 years old. That doesn't mean that he all of the sudden is going to die next year when he hits 30. His game is exactly what this D core needs right now, especially with Greene on his last legs. While I like Mueller and think he should be playing, we don't have any other realistic LHD options right now.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
job security happened for players, methinks. some of these guys are coasting and think that their spot is secure

they're right though

Who besides Miles Wood can you really accuse of that, though? Butcher and MoJo may have jobs but are still playing for contracts, Noesen only got a one-year deal, Coleman has been one of the best Devils and he did get long term security.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I don't remember seeing a goalie being so pissed off at their team as kk was after the OT goal. After every goal when they showed kk he seemed to be annoyed (most likely at the lack d), and his reactions got more noticeable with each goal.

Cory and kk are doomed to fail if the defense isnt addressed

Reactions: Maine Fan

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't remember seeing a goalie being so pissed off at their team as kk was after the OT goal. After every goal when they showed kk he seemed to be annoyed (most likely at the lack d), and his reactions got more noticeable with each goal.

Lundqvist does what Kinkaid did last night at least once every game

Reactions: New Jersey

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Who besides Miles Wood can you really accuse of that, though? Butcher and MoJo may have jobs but are still playing for contracts, Noesen only got a one-year deal, Coleman has been one of the best Devils and he did get long term security.

Basically what I was going to say.

For what it's worth, I don't think they're coasting at all. I think they're all playing disjointed, defeated and deflated. There isn't a simple answer to any of this in my eyes. You can fire Hynes, but I don't think that provides any solution to what's going on.

I don't know what it is, truthfully. It kind of does feel again like the Lemaire press conference where they forgot how to play the game. I can't recall watching a team get so defeated the minute they give up a goal. We've seen how many multi goal leads vanish this season already?

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
IN GENERAL, you have to draft and develop to become successful...of course. This doesn't mean that you build a team completely on 25 and under players. That is not a legitimate strategy and no team in the NHL employs that strategy. You need to employ some vets/older players or else you turn into Edmonton.

I know this is like blasphemy to you, but it is OK to trade picks SOMETIMES if the trade is right and makes sense. Shero has shown that for the most part, he wins trades when they occur. This is why I said if its at all possible to acquire Muzzin without giving up our 1st round pick this year, I would absolutely be in for that.

Yes, Muzzin is 29 years old. That doesn't mean that he all of the sudden is going to die next year when he hits 30. His game is exactly what this D core needs right now, especially with Greene on his last legs. While I like Mueller and think he should be playing, we don't have any other realistic LHD options right now.
If you care to know my views on trades I will leave a link to them (post 528). Why do you keep making comments about my views that are not true?
Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part V - OP warning

Reactions: Devils Dominion

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
You should care about size, we don't have a Crosby and Malkin(although he's a big guy) down the middle to offset that.

We are way too easy to play against because our top 6 might be the smallest in the NHL.

Our defensemen are also soft and we're also pretty small there. It's not a coincidence that we struggle a loy more against physical teams.
This. When we were playing well early last year, what team did we struggle with? The Washington Capitals. It looked like men vs boys when we played them last year.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

I didn’t see the goal, but I did see a bunch of tweets about an obvious pick on Bratt. Maybe he was pissed at that?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
But Muzzin fills a glaring need and it's not like he's a year or two away from retiring. He could still play for another 5+ years. I don't see a way to get him though but I'd love to have him on this team.

He could, but he’s going to be a FA after next year. I’d question whether or not the organization is going to hand out a $7M/yr contract to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->