Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Devils 3 (OT) - another Florida meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you care to know my views on trades I will leave a link to them (post 528). Why do you keep making comments about my views that are not true?
Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part V - OP warning

so to summarize what you said, you are for making trades, in the right context, which take advantage of strapped teams and not giving up 1st round picks.

....which is exactly what I said. I have not recently talked about trading our 1st round pick this year.

I am not concerned whatsoever about the salary cap. We have so much salary cap space right now that it isn't even worth getting worried about if a contract will hamper us in 5 years.

Jake Muzzin would help this team right now and probably for the next ~4 years. I think his skillset is exactly what we are missing on the backend. You brought up needing bigger players. Muzzin is 6'3''. As I stated, you cannot simply build your entire roster of 20-25 year old players. That is not realistic. Andy Greene will be gone AT THE LATEST in about 1.5 years. Ty Smith looks like he will be a great player but beyond that the Devils really don't have much in the way of "surefire" NHLers on D.

Reactions: Billdo

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This. When we were playing well early last year, what team did we struggle with? The Washington Capitals. It looked like men vs boys when we played them last year.

Tampa has a ton of smaller players and we've struggled with them this year. Whats your point?

also, why do I care about who we struggled with last year?

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
so to summarize what you said, you are for making trades, in the right context, which take advantage of strapped teams and not giving up 1st round picks.

....which is exactly what I said. I have not recently talked about trading our 1st round pick this year.

I am not concerned whatsoever about the salary cap. We have so much salary cap space right now that it isn't even worth getting worried about if a contract will hamper us in 5 years.

Jake Muzzin would help this team right now and probably for the next ~4 years. I think his skillset is exactly what we are missing on the backend. You brought up needing bigger players. Muzzin is 6'3''. As I stated, you cannot simply build your entire roster of 20-25 year old players. That is not realistic. Andy Greene will be gone AT THE LATEST in about 1.5 years. Ty Smith looks like he will be a great player but beyond that the Devils really don't have much in the way of "surefire" NHLers on D.
You forgot the part about getting back RFA contracts and that it is fine for a cup contender to trade a first round pick.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
what did I say that was wrong?

Is Tampa a top 3-5 team in the league? I think we can agree on that.

Are the majority of Tampa's best players small? I think that is a pretty indisputable fact
You have to be able to beat both types of teams if you want to win a cup. The Jets can because they are big, strong, fast and skilled. The reason I mention Washington is in the future when the Devils are a cup contender there will likely be a team built like Washington. I think big picture.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Why would a Cup champion coach go to NYb?
Salary that his prior employer was not willing to pay him.

If Quenneville wanted to come here and deal with a team in transition, do you think the New Jersey Devils - who I would bet spend among the least on their coach - would suddenly want to pay a top-three coach salary?

Edit: my point is, why would he come here when he can get money AND a chance to win somewhere else?

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t think paying JQ would be the issue per se...I do think paying the coach more than a veteran GM makes would create a weird dynamic though.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
what did I say that was wrong?

Is Tampa a top 3-5 team in the league? I think we can agree on that.

Are the majority of Tampa's best players small? I think that is a pretty indisputable fact

I mean their forwards are fast and skilled and they managed to bully us.

And they have a very big physical defense. Your view on size is totally wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->