Panthers 2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah but I guess what I'm saying is what a lot of pundits are saying on the negative side of Crouse. He's not producing elite numbers while having all that size. Is he just going to be another Holmstrom type of player, which isnt a slight but probably not a guy you take top 10, possibly top 5.

Yeah the idea of just drafting based on size seems to plague a lot of teams. Every team is hoping to find that next Lucic but he's so rare, that it will be awhile before that comes around again. With Zacha and being compared to Hossa, thats fair but look at where Hossa was drafted too...late 1st rounder. I wouldnt take Zacha with a pick any earlier than that area too. And same thing with Bjugstad, he wouldnt be drafted any earlier than that spot where he was taken. Thats the range that you swing for the fences, not the top 10 area or even the 10-15 area IMO. Zacha in the 15-20 range seems like a smart risk but he's been projected as a top 10 pick.

With Crouse, I would say a cross between Holmsyrom and a poor man's Kreider. He's not a big producer in terms of overall points, but he's a productive goal scorer. Abit one dimensional, but that's ok because he's a perfect compliment type player with two other highly skilled linemates.

I would love it if we grabbed Zacha if Merkley and Konecny are off the board. I agree he should not be ranked in the top 10 right now.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
With Crouse, I would say a cross between Holmsyrom and a poor man's Kreider. He's not a big producer in terms of overall points, but he's a productive goal scorer. Abit one dimensional, but that's ok because he's a perfect compliment type player with two other highly skilled linemates.

I would love it if we grabbed Zacha if Merkley and Konecny are off the board. I agree he should not be ranked in the top 10 right now.

Crouse sounds like Jimmy Hayes.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i really like meier, if he's somehow there where we are id take him. I'd still rather trade the pick though.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
The player I have my eyes on is Evgeni Svechnikov. Big, lanky forward, absolute rocket for a shot. Really the type of player we haven't had.

I also think we need to find a pair of wingers with extremely high hockey sense to eventually flank Barkov down the line. The guy who sticks out is Nick Merkley. Very smart player, having a phenomenal year in the WHL. Only problem is he is likely to be a guy scouts love, so he could be gone before our selection.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
The player I have my eyes on is Evgeni Svechnikov. Big, lanky forward, absolute rocket for a shot. Really the type of player we haven't had.

I also think we need to find a pair of wingers with extremely high hockey sense to eventually flank Barkov down the line. The guy who sticks out is Nick Merkley. Very smart player, having a phenomenal year in the WHL. Only problem is he is likely to be a guy scouts love, so he could be gone before our selection.

Does Huberdeau not count? I think the two have looked excellent together this season. Just need a scorer with speed on the other side. Svechnikov fits the bill.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

And if he ends up a bust, at least he'll match our assortment of redheaded prospects. :sarcasm:

CoolburnIsGone

I admit i don't know alot about Merkley but from what i do know he seems like a playmaker first. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=162310
really nice one at that...

But the eye test points to my big three as the pick in the teens
Konecny, Svech, Meier
But also notice that Merkley had 25 goals last season as a rookie in the OHL. So I dont think its a matter that he's primarily a playmaker, maybe just ends up that way being that he's a center and his passing skills are top notch. Saw this about him too that says "...has an effective shot that is quick off his stick." http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nick-Merkley

Also here's a pretty in-depth report about him from Nov from Redline: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Nick-Merkley-draft-spotlight.pdf

I think Merkley could be there with our pick too and he'd be a good choice as well (I think we're looking a pick in the 10-15 range but could be in the 8-10 range too with how we're playing now). Colin White is a guy who also should be available with our pick and could be a great option as well. Here's an excellent report on him from Redline: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Colin-White-draft-spotlight.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
But also notice that Merkley had 25 goals last season as a rookie in the OHL. So I dont think its a matter that he's primarily a playmaker, maybe just ends up that way being that he's a center and his passing skills are top notch. Saw this about him too that says "...has an effective shot that is quick off his stick." http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nick-Merkley

Also here's a pretty in-depth report about him from Nov from Redline: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Nick-Merkley-draft-spotlight.pdf

I think Merkley could be there with our pick too and he'd be a good choice as well (I think we're looking a pick in the 10-15 range but could be in the 8-10 range too with how we're playing now). Colin White is a guy who also should be available with our pick and could be a great option as well. Here's an excellent report on him from Redline: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Colin-White-draft-spotlight.

Yeah, I wouldn't write a guy off just because he's a 'playmaker'. If he's a better goal scorer than the 'goal scorers', but is still a better playmaker, then I'd love to have him. Merkley might just be the most talented player in the WHL right now(it's definitely between him and Barzal). He can definitely score goals, there's no doubt about that. I've also noticed a lot of scouts and people who follow the WHL think he's going to end up a RW in the NHL. This is a great year to get a RW. There's so many RWs and Cs who project to switch to RW in the top 15-20.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
7 points out of a top 5 pick. Whats gonna be available then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad