Panthers 2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes but several of his teammates also did well in the tournament (Fazzini, Malgin, and Rod all had more pts/goals). To get what you're talking about, it would basically cost us our 2nd, whatever 3rd rounder we have and most likely another pick. I think we'll have a hard time trying to move up to get him as he's looking more & more like a late 1st rounder (that is unless we decided to trade back with our 1st rounder and just take him).
Maybe but I dont know that either of those guys are good comparables either. He needs to work on defense so that would be a factor in how he compares to other players. He's a sniper type of player with size, not sure its a good comparison but maybe like James Neal, idk.

Kreider and Neal make sense as comparables. At least much more so than Giroux.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
brock boeser seems like a capable dynamic winger also. he should definitely be considered imo.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
brock boeser seems like a capable dynamic winger also. he should definitely be considered imo.

Conner mcdavid line with timo Meier and Travis konecny was awesome.

I would take either of the latter two guys.. Timo looked like bergy pestyness with bossa skills. Konecny was quite physical fast and snipey good. Sprong and svechnikov looked a few grades..

Cherry vs Orr game

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Conner mcdavid line with timo Meier and Travis konecny was awesome.

I would take either of the latter two guys.. Timo looked like bergy pestyness with bossa skills. Konecny was quite physical fast and snipey good. Sprong and svechnikov looked a few grades..

Cherry vs Orr game

dude, i'd be happy with drafting a guy with bossa skills. that's rare af :laugh:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Now people can see why I was so interested in Konecny earlier on. Guy can put up points, just has to work on his consistency, and he's got a nice shot too. Looks like he'll transition well to the wing too which is perfect for us.

He should still be around when we pick in all likelihood as well.

CoolburnIsGone

Between him Meier bittner I think we can get a stud. I think

Konecny
Meier
Bittner
Svechnikov

Would be my order.
I think Svechnikov is ahead of Bittner at this point by a good margin. Meier seems to continue to climb in the rankings that I think he'll be a top 15 pick most likely. Konency was dropped down on a lot of scouting lists just before the CHL Prospects game and I'm sure he'll climb back up now after that performance.

I was doing some research the last week or so and it was funny to read certain trends in terms of guys in their draft yr. I was kinda surprised to see the results as it was not expected at all. The 2 trends I was looking at were PPG pace and height.

Particularly guys who produce well in terms of PPG pace are often guys who translate well to the NHL (the reverse is also true). So a guy like Lawson Crouse who's a favorite right now of many scouting services & rankings would be a guy who has a higher probability of not translating as well as being projected (same could be said of Zacha and Bittner). The led me to a few names for the 2nd round that I'm interested in like Blake Speers, Dmytro Timashov, & Glenn Gawdin.

The other trend was the height one that teams always seem to be trying to grab bigger guys, thinking they will translate better to the NHL. In reality, so long as the guy isnt under 5'10", its not as big of an advantage in terms of probability as its made out to be. A guy who's 5'11" is just as likely as a guy 6'1" to make an impact at the NHL level. Plus that goes back to the above and just focusing on size in the case of Crouse or Zacha could be a bad plan.

There was also an interesting trend when you combine the 2 of those together. Guys who are able to produce over a 1.3 PPG pace often give you the best chance at an NHL player. The guys who are 5'11" or 6'0" who produce at that rate are basically the same and actually better probability than a guy 6'1". The magic spot is guys who are over 6'2" and put up 1.3 PPG pace which are pretty rare (think Thornton, Spezza, Lecavalier, etc). That should bode well for Strome and Svechnikov so those could be among the top 5 guys selected in this draft. But a guy that I'm starting to warm up to in the 2nd round would be Filip Ahl...he's 6'4" and producing just over that 1.3 PPG pace in Sweden. We possibly would have to move up in the 2nd round to draft him but that sounds like an package worth taking the chance on.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I think Svechnikov is ahead of Bittner at this point by a good margin. Meier seems to continue to climb in the rankings that I think he'll be a top 15 pick most likely. Konency was dropped down on a lot of scouting lists just before the CHL Prospects game and I'm sure he'll climb back up now after that performance.

I was doing some research the last week or so and it was funny to read certain trends in terms of guys in their draft yr. I was kinda surprised to see the results as it was not expected at all. The 2 trends I was looking at were PPG pace and height.

Particularly guys who produce well in terms of PPG pace are often guys who translate well to the NHL (the reverse is also true). So a guy like Lawson Crouse who's a favorite right now of many scouting services & rankings would be a guy who has a higher probability of not translating as well as being projected (same could be said of Zacha and Bittner). The led me to a few names for the 2nd round that I'm interested in like Blake Speers, Dmytro Timashov, & Glenn Gawdin.

The other trend was the height one that teams always seem to be trying to grab bigger guys, thinking they will translate better to the NHL. In reality, so long as the guy isnt under 5'10", its not as big of an advantage in terms of probability as its made out to be. A guy who's 5'11" is just as likely as a guy 6'1" to make an impact at the NHL level. Plus that goes back to the above and just focusing on size in the case of Crouse or Zacha could be a bad plan.

There was also an interesting trend when you combine the 2 of those together. Guys who are able to produce over a 1.3 PPG pace often give you the best chance at an NHL player. The guys who are 5'11" or 6'0" who produce at that rate are basically the same and actually better probability than a guy 6'1". The magic spot is guys who are over 6'2" and put up 1.3 PPG pace which are pretty rare (think Thornton, Spezza, Lecavalier, etc). That should bode well for Strome and Svechnikov so those could be among the top 5 guys selected in this draft. But a guy that I'm starting to warm up to in the 2nd round would be Filip Ahl...he's 6'4" and producing just over that 1.3 PPG pace in Sweden. We possibly would have to move up in the 2nd round to draft him but that sounds like an package worth taking the chance on.

very intersting read. thx for the info! :handclap:
svechnikov is acually the guy i'm mostly hoping for us to grab in the first round right now.

CoolburnIsGone

very intersting read. thx for the info! :handclap:
svechnikov is acually the guy i'm mostly hoping for us to grab in the first round right now.
Np but if I had to choose between Meier and Svechnikov, I would take Meier easily. For his skillset, I would actually expect even higher production out of Svechnikov than he has so far and then he's not exactly a guy who plays defense much.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Np but if I had to choose between Meier and Svechnikov, I would take Meier easily. For his skillset, I would actually expect even higher production out of Svechnikov than he has so far and then he's not exactly a guy who plays defense much.

don't really care if we draft a floater, just as long as he scores. our whole team is made up by character and guys like barkov has no one to pass who can acually put the puck in the net.
this is why i don't give a damn if he plays awesome d or not.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut

very cool thanks for this.

I agree and i was basing my latest list on the allstar game... i was impressed with bittne.. seems like the type of player that gets drafted by anaheim and we all are like wtf.... Ahl is super interesting and i have had issues finding video of him. That said I have very little viewing of the american prospects outside bracco, werenski, eichel, hanifin, and greenway... these other guys i see in the mid rounds kind of scare me for that reason... Svech looked good but a little too cerebral to me... meier and konecny were both physical and showed scoring and play making... Unless meier drops off huge i am hoping he is there for us.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
don't really care if we draft a floater, just as long as he scores. our whole team is made up by character and guys like barkov has no one to pass who can acually put the puck in the net.
this is why i don't give a damn if he plays awesome d or not.

if we get of the three we should be excited. but i have seen it before... other teams can startdrafting wings instead of centers and dmen...

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
if we get of the three we should be excited. but i have seen it before... other teams can startdrafting wings instead of centers and dmen...

yepp i agree 100%. all of them looks like they have bossa skills more or less ;)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't say all Crouse has is size though. He has a better chance of doing what he is extremely effective at, being a force around the crease and causing havoc in front, than a 5'10"-5'11" guy does in the NHL. It's just reality. That aspect of his game has a high probability of translating. A guy like Huberdeau for example who did some of that in the Q, who is still very weak, has not been able to translate that style of play over to the NHL. While I agree that sometimes team focus TOO much on size, for example drafting guys who don't put up very good stats in junior at all or are not very skilled at all, just because they are big, in some cases like Crouse's, that is a common sense pick because of certain things he brings to the table.

Zacha is a different story. He is very talented but has battled with consistency. I agree, that if he was 5'11" and 20 lbs. lighter, he wouldn't even be a thought in the first 3 rounds in this draft. On the other hand, if he were to put it all together, it's tantalizing to think what he could become. Perhaps something like Hossa, and one scouting service whose name escapes me compared his style to Ovechkin. It might be faulty to draft too much based on size, but we are all tantalized by that player who has it all....size, skill, speed, smarts, grit, work ethic. And you have to swing for a home run once in awhile. There were safer picks at #19 in 2010 than Bjugstad, but I'm glad we swung for the fences on him.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

Here is the link to the article for those interested:

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/1/22/the-nhl-draft-maybe-size-does-matter

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

There is 0 chance that all three of those guys are gone by the time we pick, especially now that we've started falling off. There are too many good d-men in this draft also. I have to think that at least 3 of Hanifin, Kylington, Provorov, and Werenski will be drafted by the time Tallon steps up to the podium. And then you know that McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Crouse, Marner, Barzal, and likely Merkley will all be drafted ahead of us too. Actually if Merkley was still there he's definitely my #1 choice. But my #1 realistic choice is Konecny. I've always viewed him as a top 10-12 pick. He had a rough start to the season, but he has elite talent and he was dominant at the Ivan Hlinka last summer. There was no way he was going to fall into the late teens/20's. This prospect game just solidified it for everyone early. But NHL teams are too smart. Plus he's a very hard worker and a gritty kid. He's got everything it takes to be a 1st line forward in the NHL.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
If we draft 12-14th I'm willing to gamble on Barzal. Injuries have ruined his season, but his talent level is so high..

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If we draft 12-14th I'm willing to gamble on Barzal. Injuries have ruined his season, but his talent level is so high..

If he is still there, definitely. But he is just too good. I can't see more than 10 teams passing on him.

Where would you fit Rantanen in your ranking?

I knew I forgot somebody. We are good. We're gonna get a good prospect. Kyle Connor and Colin White are very talented U.S. kids also.

CoolburnIsGone

I wouldn't say all Crouse has is size though. He has a better chance of doing what he is extremely effective at, being a force around the crease and causing havoc in front, than a 5'10"-5'11" guy does in the NHL. It's just reality. That aspect of his game has a high probability of translating. A guy like Huberdeau for example who did some of that in the Q, who is still very weak, has not been able to translate that style of play over to the NHL. While I agree that sometimes team focus TOO much on size, for example drafting guys who don't put up very good stats in junior at all or are not very skilled at all, just because they are big, in some cases like Crouse's, that is a common sense pick because of certain things he brings to the table.

Zacha is a different story. He is very talented but has battled with consistency. I agree, that if he was 5'11" and 20 lbs. lighter, he wouldn't even be a thought in the first 3 rounds in this draft. On the other hand, if he were to put it all together, it's tantalizing to think what he could become. Perhaps something like Hossa, and one scouting service whose name escapes me compared his style to Ovechkin. It might be faulty to draft too much based on size, but we are all tantalized by that player who has it all....size, skill, speed, smarts, grit, work ethic. And you have to swing for a home run once in awhile. There were safer picks at #19 in 2010 than Bjugstad, but I'm glad we swung for the fences on him.
Yeah but I guess what I'm saying is what a lot of pundits are saying on the negative side of Crouse. He's not producing elite numbers while having all that size. Is he just going to be another Holmstrom type of player, which isnt a slight but probably not a guy you take top 10, possibly top 5.

Yeah the idea of just drafting based on size seems to plague a lot of teams. Every team is hoping to find that next Lucic but he's so rare, that it will be awhile before that comes around again. With Zacha and being compared to Hossa, thats fair but look at where Hossa was drafted too...late 1st rounder. I wouldnt take Zacha with a pick any earlier than that area too. And same thing with Bjugstad, he wouldnt be drafted any earlier than that spot where he was taken. Thats the range that you swing for the fences, not the top 10 area or even the 10-15 area IMO. Zacha in the 15-20 range seems like a smart risk but he's been projected as a top 10 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad