Panthers 2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
You missed the entire point i fear. Defining what BPA is impossible. There is more to hockey than raw puck skills/flash, and teams have different values formed through a variety of scouts with different opinions. Some scouts will believe in the type of prospects you list more than others. The idea that everyone shares this universal idea on somebody is your mistake ; prospects are valued differently by organisations.

Russian syndrome is a different thing altogether, and need not be discussed here. I generally agree that teams shouldn't avoid drafting Russians if they believe they project to be high calibre players.

Obviously some teams felt differently, though the board ran out in a strange way that year. In retrospect, yes, it seems he should have gone much higher, but you're using one prospect retrospectively to prove something, which isn't how the world works. I can list countless other prospects who fell in the draft and were thought of as BPA/"steal" at the time because of draft rankings.

Until you get out of the mindset that NHL teams think exactly as these independent draft rankings do, this argument will remain circular. NHL teams rank themselves, and the results are often very different to these generic rankings. NHL teams draft on any number of reasons and factors, which leads me back to the original point ; BPA doesn't just mean offensive player with fancy puck skills.

Teams have different BPA.

To a degree.

You're using BPA in such a simple fashion.

lol ok how many examples do you want me to give you?
like in the same draft where islanders ONLY drafted D. was it because there wasn't any more good forwards after 3rd overall? heck no. they filled a (future) need in the organization.

ok well let me use it in a complex way like you do: every player a team ever picks is BPA.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I know for a fact that the Panthers do in fact rank players in tiers (well at least in previous yrs for sure, dunno since last yr). Many other organizations do it too. They also obviously rank the players in order within those tiers in who they want to draft based on much of the criteria you gave in your list (H being one of the bigger factors). I was just pointing out why teams trade up/down and thats often because they have either just missed out on a player in a specific tier that they liked or there's a guy sitting there still that they like in a specific tier where they think he will not be available at their pick.

I'd like to see some evidence of Cats using tiers for drafting.

The derailment of EDM has been attributed to the lack of NHLers emerging from the later rounds, and at very the other end e.g. DET, STL, TBL, CHI base their continuance of success on finding gems outside of the 1st round. With the tier-thinking, finding a kid that finds success in the show, can be based only on luck (already in previous post explained the hindrance of tiers). The Cats might be going with the tier-thinking, but the previously mentioned teams definitely don't. I wouldn't think twice if there's an opportunity to switch STL's draft outcome in the later rounds in the past five years.

That being said, in an ideal situation, I'd just like to find the best possible method for drafting and not finding support from how other teams are conducting their business; stupid is as stupid does.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I think it's time we use a second or third rounder on a goalie if a good enough one is available. I really wanted Demko last year, Haweryluck is good though. We need a goalie for after Lou. First round get another right winger then after that get some D and a goalie

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is a nice goalie class, no real superstars but a lot of solid depth. We should be able to pick up a quality one, or hopefully two.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What? I can't believe people would compare Crouse to Giroux. Giroux was scoring at a 1.49ppg while Crouse is at 0.74ppg. Crouse is really overhype and overrated because of his size. It's just like Frederik Gauthier. Forward drafted in the first round should be 1ppg if they are coming from the CHL.

I wouldn't say he's overhyped, Gauthier and Crouse are different players. Gauthier is a two-way center with size, Crouse is a talented goal scoring winger who projects to score a lot of goals around the net. He has a freakish combination of size and speed, you just don't find guys like him who can skate like he does and are that big and physical. That's why he's ranked so highly. He'll be a 30 goal scorer in the OHL this season, very respectable for a PF. He's not a big assist guy, but with his game he doesn't have to be. He's going to be a guy who jams in a lot of garbage goals and is a force around the net. Plus he's good defensively.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I wouldn't say he's overhyped, Gauthier and Crouse are different players. Gauthier is a two-way center with size, Crouse is a talented goal scoring winger who projects to score a lot of goals around the net. He has a freakish combination of size and speed, you just don't find guys like him who can skate like he does and are that big and physical. That's why he's ranked so highly. He'll be a 30 goal scorer in the OHL this season, very respectable for a PF. He's not a big assist guy, but with his game he doesn't have to be. He's going to be a guy who jams in a lot of garbage goals and is a force around the net. Plus he's good defensively.

Fair enough, I just get angsty when one of the main characteristic of a guy is his body size and his production is so-so. My overhyped comment was that apparently some people compared him to Claude Giroux and ISS ranked him 3rd.

CoolburnIsGone

Fair enough, I just get angsty when one of the main characteristic of a guy is his body size and his production is so-so. My overhyped comment was that apparently some people compared him to Claude Giroux and ISS ranked him 3rd.
I have no idea who's comparing him to Giroux because that clearly isnt a good comparable at all and not even close to how he plays. That must be one of the weirdest comparisons I've ever heard actually for a draft prospect. :help:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

I don't doubt he will go high. He's a better prospect than Gauthier ever was/is (Gauthier is limited by average skating/lack of offensive skills), but relative to where he's being "ranked", he needs to show more offensive capabilities.

CoolburnIsGone

take a peek at Timo Meier.. Theres quality players on the backend 1st 2nd of this draft.
Meier probably will end up around the end of the 1st to the beginning of the 2nd. He's been climbing a lot of the scouting rankings lately. So basically unless we trade way back or way up, we won't end up getting him is my guess. The question with him is how much of his production is from being on a line with Ehlers right now.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Meier probably will end up around the end of the 1st to the beginning of the 2nd. He's been climbing a lot of the scouting rankings lately. So basically unless we trade way back or way up, we won't end up getting him is my guess. The question with him is how much of his production is from being on a line with Ehlers right now.

He did well at the World Juniors without Ehlers. I'd love it if Tallon would trade and get back into the late 1st or early 2nd and pick up a better prospect. This team has enough depth, it's time to go for some home runs.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I have no idea who's comparing him to Giroux because that clearly isnt a good comparable at all and not even close to how he plays. That must be one of the weirdest comparisons I've ever heard actually for a draft prospect. :help:

Haven't seen much of him but Krieder / Virtanen make more sense?

CoolburnIsGone

He did well at the World Juniors without Ehlers. I'd love it if Tallon would trade and get back into the late 1st or early 2nd and pick up a better prospect. This team has enough depth, it's time to go for some home runs.
Yes but several of his teammates also did well in the tournament (Fazzini, Malgin, and Rod all had more pts/goals). To get what you're talking about, it would basically cost us our 2nd, whatever 3rd rounder we have and most likely another pick. I think we'll have a hard time trying to move up to get him as he's looking more & more like a late 1st rounder (that is unless we decided to trade back with our 1st rounder and just take him).
Haven't seen much of him but Krieder / Virtanen make more sense?
Maybe but I dont know that either of those guys are good comparables either. He needs to work on defense so that would be a factor in how he compares to other players. He's a sniper type of player with size, not sure its a good comparison but maybe like James Neal, idk.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Yes but several of his teammates also did well in the tournament (Fazzini, Malgin, and Rod all had more pts/goals). To get what you're talking about, it would basically cost us our 2nd, whatever 3rd rounder we have and most likely another pick. I think we'll have a hard time trying to move up to get him as he's looking more & more like a late 1st rounder (that is unless we decided to trade back with our 1st rounder and just take him).

I'd be fine with that price. Rau, Hyman (maybe), Weegar, Matheson, McCoshen (maybe), Brittain, Hawryluk, and Lammikko (maybe) will be joining San Antonio next year (not to mention guys like Grimaldi, Knight, Wilson, Shaw, Petrovic, etc that will probably be there for another year) so there's not a huge need to draft more depth. Go for the home run here.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think it's time we use a second or third rounder on a goalie if a good enough one is available. I really wanted Demko last year, Haweryluck is good though. We need a goalie for after Lou. First round get another right winger then after that get some D and a goalie

I know id like to see a goalie somewhere along the lines. Dont really see any of our current prospects turning into #1 goalies.

:nod:

Hope Tallon uses the 2nd or one of the 3rds we have on a goalie as well, it's in our building and this could be the drafting of Lu' replacement. The 2nd may be risky but depends on who's still available. I will scratch my head if he doesn't draft a goalie with one of those picks. 1st rounder would be a RW if I was making the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad