Panthers 2015 Draft Talk | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
maybe so its one persons opinion. But for those who want information its there..

You could also say they are realistic.

It's definitely good information, just seemed a bit curious that Meier and Rantanen are listed as top 9 forwards rather than top 6. But you'll have a tough time finding a more thorough description of these prospects than what's listed in the thread.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
just such a deep draft. meier will always have a hard time losing the fact that he is a "late bloomer" start of this season he was a 2nd-3rd round pick.. then boom explosion all year... moving up slowly... he just isn't going to supplant the guys ahead of him.
As for Rantanen he has a small rep as well but overall he doesn't get seen as much so he drops a bit... Again Meier is my fav guy in this draft but Konecny is such a tallon guy with scoring touch and shot... I will be surprised if he isn't the guy called...

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If we draft Konecny we might have the smallest RW in the league in a few years. 5'10, 5'10, 5'6 :laugh:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
just such a deep draft. meier will always have a hard time losing the fact that he is a "late bloomer" start of this season he was a 2nd-3rd round pick.. then boom explosion all year... moving up slowly... he just isn't going to supplant the guys ahead of him.
As for Rantanen he has a small rep as well but overall he doesn't get seen as much so he drops a bit... Again Meier is my fav guy in this draft but Konecny is such a tallon guy with scoring touch and shot... I will be surprised if he isn't the guy called...

Not sure if I got this right. Meier is a late bloomer but Rantanen drops rankings coming down to this season? None of the Finns thought he could get as good as he is. At best he was projected to go somewhere around 15-20. When he put on the skates the first time this year he was really skating for the first time I've ever seen him do that before. Suddenly he was able to use his size against men, control the game and do the flashy stuff I never thought he was capable of. He's definately a riser in that sense. I'm really curious where he ends up. Think he's so close to being NHL ready that it's not taking more than another year before stepping into the big league.

Seen a bit of Meier too. He has some of that what Rantanen brings to the table, but not as much. Still lots of potential and possibly a good to great first line winger in the future. If you want to play save, that's who you go with.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone else watching Fin V. Sui at the U18?

Some very good prospects on both sides for 2015 and 2016.

And Fin with a 3 on 5...

Edit: the usual suspects for Finland, all 2016 eligible, but two underrated Swiss 2015 guys that stand out are:

13 - Malgin - love to see us take a chance on this kid, skating and puck skills like crazy
11 - Impose - fierce competitor, very good hockey sense and two-way game

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
After seeing that Emerson Etem goal versus the Jets the other night. It came out of nowhere and it was a turning point in that game for the Ducks. I imagine it gave them confidence up the wazoo. Huge difference having skill and speed on the wings.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Anyone else watching Fin V. Sui at the U18?

Some very good prospects on both sides for 2015 and 2016.

And Fin with a 3 on 5...

Edit: the usual suspects for Finland, all 2016 eligible, but two underrated Swiss 2015 guys that stand out are:

13 - Malgin - love to see us take a chance on this kid, skating and puck skills like crazy
11 - Impose - fierce competitor, very good hockey sense and two-way game

I have no problem taking Malgin in the 3rd/4th round. But we'd better be taking a goalie with a 3rd.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I have no problem taking Malgin in the 3rd/4th round. But we'd better be taking a goalie with a 3rd.

I like our goalies right now and hate using anything in the first three rounds on a goaltender, but in Dale I trust. I don't know goaltending well enough to argue with him if he likes a guy in round 3.

Malgin and some of these other Swiss guys might be great value. The 4th round would be a solid pickup for a guy with that sort of upside.

Malgin is a Drouin and/or Grimaldi Light guy to me. Dangerous with the puck, super frustrating to defend thanks to a shifty skating style and slick hands, although not as flat out fast as Rocco or as shifty/skilled as either. Very good hockey IQ and passer but can snipe too. Feisty for his size, like all our small-ish prospects. Looks durable and is strong on his skates.

Impose had a great shift and set-up the tying goal from behind the net with his home crowd breathing down his neck and no time on the clock. Had a really nice takeaway before that which drew a penalty and put a top Finland player in the box. Short/average height but stout and protects the puck well. Doesn't come as far back in his own zone as I'd like but could be coaching, just looked a little lazy sometimes and could have done more without the puck. Great skater and plays a style that looks NHL-suited with lots of #character.

Siegenthaler has the tools. Not impressed with his defensive game or decision making but that's true of lots of young D who are known for offence. Probably goes too high to be a pick I'd want to make.

Thurkauf was noticable. Don't like his skating for the NHL. Looked bigger than everyone else on the ice. I'll be watching him in the bronze game. If he had some jump in his step he'd be an interesting prospect.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I like our goalies right now and hate using anything in the first three rounds on a goaltender, but in Dale I trust. I don't know goaltending well enough to argue with him if he likes a guy in round 3.

Malgin and some of these other Swiss guys might be great value. The 4th round would be a solid pickup for a guy with that sort of upside.

Malgin is a Drouin and/or Grimaldi Light guy to me. Dangerous with the puck, super frustrating to defend thanks to a shifty skating style and slick hands, although not as flat out fast as Rocco or as shifty/skilled as either. Very good hockey IQ and passer but can snipe too. Feisty for his size, like all our small-ish prospects. Looks durable and is strong on his skates.

Impose had a great shift and set-up the tying goal from behind the net with his home crowd breathing down his neck and no time on the clock. Had a really nice takeaway before that which drew a penalty and put a top Finland player in the box. Short/average height but stout and protects the puck well. Doesn't come as far back in his own zone as I'd like but could be coaching, just looked a little lazy sometimes and could have done more without the puck. Great skater and plays a style that looks NHL-suited with lots of #character.

Siegenthaler has the tools. Not impressed with his defensive game or decision making but that's true of lots of young D who are known for offence. Probably goes too high to be a pick I'd want to make.

Thurkauf was noticable. Don't like his skating for the NHL. Looked bigger than everyone else on the ice. I'll be watching him in the bronze game. If he had some jump in his step he'd be an interesting prospect.

I think our goalies are ok, bit we're still in the bottom half of the league in organizational depth. We don't have any blue chip prospects. I don't think a team is going to produce many NHL goalies without drafting some in the first three rounds. I'm not saying do it every year, but its been 6 years since we took a goalie in the first three rounds. There's something wrong with that. This is a good draft for goalies, lots of solid tendys. We really should nab one in the top 90 IMO.

Malgin is fine, although like you said he is like a poor man's Grimaldi. Considering I give Grimaldi about a 50/50 chance to make it as a big leaguer, to me Malgin doesn't have that great of a chance of being an NHLer IMO. To me he's a classic mid-round pick, you're not investing much so you're not expecting much. But he could really pay off big if he maxes out. I just wouldn't take him too high. I'd almost rather take Impose.

Seigenthaler is fine in the 4th. He shows flashes, but is generally strong and smart, and is physically developed.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I think our goalies are ok, bit we're still in the bottom half of the league in organizational depth. We don't have any blue chip prospects. I don't think a team is going to produce many NHL goalies without drafting some in the first three rounds. I'm not saying do it every year, but its been 6 years since we took a goalie in the first three rounds. There's something wrong with that. This is a good draft for goalies, lots of solid tendys. We really should nab one in the top 90 IMO.

Malgin is fine, although like you said he is like a poor man's Grimaldi. Considering I give Grimaldi about a 50/50 chance to make it as a big leaguer, to me Malgin doesn't have that great of a chance of being an NHLer IMO. To me he's a classic mid-round pick, you're not investing much so you're not expecting much. But he could really pay off big if he maxes out. I just wouldn't take him too high. I'd almost rather take Impose.

Seigenthaler is fine in the 4th. He shows flashes, but is generally strong and smart, and is physically developed.

Sounds about right to me. I'll take any of them in the 4th but I think someone takes Seigenthaler before that. He's got that size/speed/shot combo that teams fall all over and Crawford talking him up doesn't hurt either.

Impose is really interesting. I agree, we could probably use him more than a Grimaldi clone. Sort of a Swiss Bergy and likely to be available after the 4th round.

Take Seigenthaler late 3rd, Malgin 4th, Impose 6th. Hire Crawford as assistant coach in charge of yelling and open a Panthers Gear store in Zurich :naughty:

We just have to get Dale a map of Europe that has allll the countries on it...

Edit: who are your picks for goalies in the third round? I should probably get to know a bit about the position.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Sounds about right to me. I'll take any of them in the 4th but I think someone takes Seigenthaler before that. He's got that size/speed/shot combo that teams fall all over and Crawford talking him up doesn't hurt either.

Impose is really interesting. I agree, we could probably use him more than a Grimaldi clone. Sort of a Swiss Bergy and likely to be available after the 4th round.

Take Seigenthaler late 3rd, Malgin 4th, Impose 6th. Hire Crawford as assistant coach in charge of yelling and open a Panthers Gear store in Zurich :naughty:

We just have to get Dale a map of Europe that has allll the countries on it...

Edit: who are your picks for goalies in the third round? I should probably get to know a bit about the position.

Yeah, Seigenthaler probably goes before that. There are a lot of defensemen I like for this draft though, and I probably wouldn't take him with any of our picks in the first 3 rounds.

Mackenzie Blackwood will probably be the first goalie taken and gone by the 3rd round. He's the favorite to be chosen first, has the size, pedigree, and stats. He's been a standout since his first game in the OHL and this season proved that he could still be a dominant goalie without Ekblad in front of him in Barrie. The best of the rest IMO I have listed below. I like all of them and would happy with all of them.

Daniel Vladar- A massive goalie with an ideal frame at 6'5" 185", has big game presence, moves very well for a big goalie. Awesome potential. Nickname is Darth Vladar. One of his drawbacks is he plays deep in net. But hey, so does King Henrik.

Veini Vehvilainen- pretty good numbers in Finland. Decent size, calm in the nets, very mobile, great glove hand. Technically sound goalie.

Liam Herbst- Hasn't played many OHL games due to injuries, but when he has he's been very good. Was one of the best goalies at the CHL top prospects game. Big, composed, moves well, great technique. Just looks like a future NHL goalie.

Matej Tomek- 6'3" athletic goalie yet technically sound. He completely dominated the NAHL this year for Topeka.

Felix Sandstrom- A bit raw and was hampered by injury this season, but has great potential. Nice frame at 6'2" 192.

Callum Booth- Big goalie who takes up a lot of the net, yet is very quick and tough to beat down low. Has been consistently good in the Q for two seasons.

Ilya Samsonov- Exceptional athleticism, confident goalie with a thick skin.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Veini Vehvilainen- pretty good numbers in Finland. Decent size, calm in the nets, very mobile, great glove hand. Technically sound goalie.

Just take the Finnish goalie whoever he is
Vehvilainen could be a good gamble for later rounds, he's also already played against men this season in the 2nd tier Mestis (kind of like a farm league to Liiga when it comes to young players). Though it's going to be tough for him to get minutes with JYP, since they have a workhorse number 1 (played 47 out of 60 this season) already signed through next season. I'd assume he'll spend next season still in Mestis and then gets a crack with JYP or they loan him to some other Liiga team.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, Seigenthaler probably goes before that. There are a lot of defensemen I like for this draft though, and I probably wouldn't take him with any of our picks in the first 3 rounds.

Mackenzie Blackwood will probably be the first goalie taken and gone by the 3rd round. He's the favorite to be chosen first, has the size, pedigree, and stats. He's been a standout since his first game in the OHL and this season proved that he could still be a dominant goalie without Ekblad in front of him in Barrie. The best of the rest IMO I have listed below. I like all of them and would happy with all of them.

Daniel Vladar- A massive goalie with an ideal frame at 6'5" 185", has big game presence, moves very well for a big goalie. Awesome potential. Nickname is Darth Vladar. One of his drawbacks is he plays deep in net. But hey, so does King Henrik.

Liam Herbst- Hasn't played many OHL games due to injuries, but when he has he's been very good. Was one of the best goalies at the CHL top prospects game. Big, composed, moves well, great technique. Just looks like a future NHL goalie.

Matej Tomek- 6'3" athletic goalie yet technically sound. He completely dominated the NAHL this year for Topeka.

Felix Sandstrom- A bit raw and was hampered by injury this season, but has great potential. Nice frame at 6'2" 192.

Callum Booth- Big goalie who takes up a lot of the net, yet is very quick and tough to beat down low. Has been consistently good in the Q for two seasons.

Ilya Samsonov- Exceptional athleticism, confident goalie with a thick skin.

I've seen Booth and like his game. Sold on Darth Vladar based on nickname alone.

VV looking good in the gold medal game so far. Made a sick glove save that impressed my amateur goalie scout eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad