Panthers 2015 Draft Talk | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I am sure jesus cares about barbashev so your right on there...

Its funny... Ehlers goes off in the playoffs 31 points in 14 games... they lose...
Meier meanwhile only gets 21 points in 14 games... What does this say about Meier...

Lol its weird to feel like he didn't have his best playoffs when clearly he is tied for 4th in the Q in playoff scoring...

Danny Moynihan stepped up huge and played well. Not sure how much these guys effected meiers play and vice versa... I didn't watch just listened to a few games.

I am interested in hearing how people saw his play in the end and how it will effect his draft position

Cant compair their stats. One year difference in the CHL is huge. Not a big difference if you compair to Ehlers stats from last season.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Seriously...

It's so annoying to hear every single day on here about who we didn't pick in the draft... We didn't pick tarasenko, we didn't pick barbashev, didn't pick Johansen, didn't pick somebody. Hindsight is 20/20. Barbashev is not even in the NHL yet, he could just as easily bust. The team is starting to look up, we are building a big body team and we now need to get speed on it to make it a fusion of those two assets. When that happens then we're going to start not complaining about the stupid draft in hindsight and not being happy. Rant over.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It's so annoying to hear every single day on here about who we didn't pick in the draft... We didn't pick tarasenko, we didn't pick barbashev, didn't pick Johansen, didn't pick somebody. Hindsight is 20/20. Barbashev is not even in the NHL yet, he could just as easily bust. The team is starting to look up, we are building a big body team and we now need to get speed on it to make it a fusion of those two assets. When that happens then we're going to start not complaining about the stupid draft in hindsight and not being happy. Rant over.

I guess some people just know more than others, especially pro scouts and general managers :help:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hindsight is not 20/20 when you have a guy like Barbashev available that was ranked 30 or so spots above Hawryluk. Hawryluk may eventually turn out as the better of two, but it sure doesn't look like it today or for that matter at the last draft. You have the right to rant but so do I and quite a few other posters who feel that way. Not only was it the Russian factor that dropped him that gave us the opportunity, it was Tallon talking to Hawryluk a few days before the draft and guarantying him that he will draft him with our first choice in the second round, when the guy was clearly not ranked even close to that high.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Hindsight is not 20/20 when you have a guy like Barbashev available that was ranked 30 or so spots above Hawryluk. Hawryluk may eventually turn out as the better of two, but it sure doesn't look like it today or for that matter at the last draft. You have the right to rant but so do I and quite a few other posters who feel that way. Not only was it the Russian factor that dropped him that gave us the opportunity, it was Tallon talking to Hawryluk a few days before the draft and guarantying him that he will draft him with our first choice in the second round, when the guy was clearly not ranked even close to that high.

Huuuummmm...

Maybe Tallon guaranteed that, because Hawryluk was ranked that high on OUR board ?

:help:

Clearly not ranked there by some of your sources... But for all I care, the important list is the Panthers one...

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If every high scoring junior player was guaranteed to reach that same dominant offensive status in the NHL, the scoring wouldn't be this low.

Who knows, maybe Barbashev has a tough time cracking an already stacked Blues line-up, that's coached by someone with a defense first attitude, and he ends up bolting back to the KHL after a year or two in the AHL.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The thing is, yes he was ranked thathigh. His status only fell late in the season because of concerns with his injury. For most of the season, he was considered to be in the same tier as Barbashev. Its not like Hawryluk was ranked as a 3rd-4th rounder. Some services had him as a mid-2nd rounder. There's nothing wrong with where we picked him.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
The thing is, yes he was ranked thathigh. His status only fell late in the season because of concerns with his injury. For most of the season, he was considered to be in the same tier as Barbashev. Its not like Hawryluk was ranked as a 3rd-4th rounder. Some services had him as a mid-2nd rounder. There's nothing wrong with where we picked him.

Other than Barbashev was still on the board and while Hawryluk may have been ranked as a mid-2nd on occasion Barbashev was ranked anywhere from 15-35.

Not that everything should be done based on scouting services but I think it shocked people to see us reach with some really strong talent still on the board. St.Louis was pretty shocked when they nabbed him too.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The thing with the Hawryluk pick was his scouting report said was projected as a third or fourth line forward that is a very good skater, pest, forechecker, who has some offensive upside. It also said he patterns his game after Marchand and can take undisciplined penalties. You and I also talked in the past about his lack of durability at the junior level and how he would need to scale back the physicality a tad once he reached the pro level to become viable.

My objection to not drafting Barbashev was the fact he had more upside to his offensive game and that includes scoring goals. Tallon knew we were in desperate need of goal scoring for the future, and yet he leaves this guy on the board because he's a Russian. All the scouting services had him ranked 14-18 in the first round at the end of the year. I don't think Hawrychuk ever made it as a first round projection.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The thing with the Hawryluk pick was his scouting report said was projected as a third or fourth line forward that is a very good skater, pest, forechecker, who has some offensive upside. It also said he patterns his game after Marchand and can take undisciplined penalties. You and I also talked in the past about his lack of durability at the junior level and how he would need to scale back the physicality a tad once he reached the pro level to become viable.

My objection to not drafting Barbashev was the fact he had more upside to his offensive game and that includes scoring goals. Tallon knew we were in desperate need of goal scoring for the future, and yet he leaves this guy on the board because he's a Russian. All the scouting services had him ranked 14-18 in the first round at the end of the year. I don't think Hawrychuk ever made it as a first round projection.

Well all your scouting reports and scouting services I found is useless...nhl teams have their own draft boards that vary tremendously... and saying he didn't take barb cause he is Russian is pure speculation... well see who is the better pro is a few years and I won't be surprised one bit if it's hawryluk...

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i was pissed we didn't take barb but u cant argue with a hockey name like jayce hawrlyuk... thats hockey!

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Well all your scouting reports and scouting services I found is useless...nhl teams have their own draft boards that vary tremendously... and saying he didn't take barb cause he is Russian is pure speculation... well see who is the better pro is a few years and I won't be surprised one bit if it's hawryluk...

I've come to like Jayce since we drafted him but Barbashev is the real deal. I think we have to hope that Jayce can be his equal.

The way I see it we reached for a guy who was worth the reach and maybe should have gone as high as we took him but we passed on a guy that fell hard and may go much higher on a re-draft.

As far as I can tell Dale performed a minor miracle (hopefully) based on a single interview and the only reason it may not look genius is because he and half the rest of the league had the Red Scare.

Eerily similar to Horvat and Nuke.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Sure the scouting services make a few mistakes, but by in large progressively the risk reward from 10-30 is much better than 31 thru 51. Sometimes you get a player like Skinner who was ranked I believe 42 at the end of the season make it to the top 10 based on their playoff performance. That's still a head scratcher, as I think the guy had 50 goals during the season and 20 in 20 playoff games.

We'll see on Hawryluk, but I'm gonna go with Barbashev when all is said and done.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
did tallon get his hand forced by telling hawryluk he'll draft him if he's avaible, expecting other players to go before him?

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
did tallon get his hand forced by telling hawryluk he'll draft him if he's avaible, expecting other players to go before him?

I guess only Dale knows but I get the feeling after this legendary interview they were taking him and that was that. How could some Russian named Barbie possibly compete with Jayce 'the 'stash' Hawryluk and his top-10 interview of all time?

I've only watched him play a handful of times this year but he's gotten stronger, meaner and better defensively while still putting up a PPG.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
I guess only Dale knows but I get the feeling after this legendary interview they were taking him and that was that. How could some Russian named Barbie possibly compete with Jayce 'the 'stash' Hawryluk and his top-10 interview of all time?

I've only watched him play a handful of times this year but he's gotten stronger, meaner and better defensively while still putting up a PPG.

well, we dont know how barbashev did in the interview, maybe he said he won't come here because its too hot and its a ****** market? wouldnt surprise me if people have that attitude about florida

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The thing that I have trouble understanding is why we picked Hawrlyuk.

At the time we picked Hawrlyuk, we already had depth in the part of the cupboard labeled "potential third or fourth line forward, a very good skater, pest, forechecker, who has some offensive upside". Fortunately Kyle Rau kind of grew into that role. You could argue Rocco might be destined for that role. Sounds like Quinton Howden a little bit too right? Vinny Trocheck is pretty much all those things right now. That being said, I don't see any "potential top-six snipers with a high offensive ceiling" in the cupboard. Like a lot of GMs and scouts, I think Dale and his staff just get scared away when they see or hear about the Russian factor. Oh well, hopefully we can try our luck with Timo Meier and/or Travis Konecny. No Russian factor there, so we're good.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
We could moan all day about guys we should have taken instead.

Alexander Ovechkin instead of Tanner Glass

Patrice Bergeron instead of Kamil Kreps
Shea Weber instead of Kamil Kreps
David Backes instead of Kamil Kreps

Based on the above our team would be:

Ovechkin-Bergeron-Jagr
Huberdeau-Barkov-Bjugstad
Jokinen-Backes-Boyes
Thorton-Bolland-Hayes

Weber-Ekblad
Campbell-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Petrovic

Luongo
Montoya

That is the most unrealistic insane hypothetical team possible. No point in freaking out about it. Just enjoy that the Panthers finally have functional ownership, coach, and GM who seem to be on the same page. Even beyond the level of talent the team has now, the organization has never the above three parties pulling in the same direction at the same time.

So what if Tallon misses out a draft pick here or signs an FA to an expensive contract. He is still light years ahead of any GM the Panthers have had since 1999.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Ovechkin-Bergeron-Jagr
Jokinen-Backes-Boyes
Thorton-Bolland-Hayes

Weber-Ekblad
Campbell-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Petrovic

Luongo
Montoya

That is the most unrealistic insane hypothetical team possible. No point in freaking out about it. Just enjoy that the Panthers finally have functional ownership, coach, and GM who seem to be on the same page. Even beyond the level of talent the team has now, the organization has never the above three parties pulling in the same direction at the same time.

So what if Tallon misses out a draft pick here or signs an FA to an expensive contract. He is still light years ahead of any GM the Panthers have had since 1999.

Any GM we have EVER had!

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014

Ovechkin-Bergeron-Jagr
Jokinen-Backes-Boyes
Thorton-Bolland-Hayes

Weber-Ekblad
Campbell-Kulikov
Gudbranson-Petrovic

Luongo
Montoya

This. Agreed 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad