Post-Game Talk: Panthers 2, Devils 1 OT - '16-17 Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can't just throw a bunch of new faces into the lineup and flip a switch.

Hall, Parenteau, Zacha, Wood, Speers, Fiddler, Lovejoy, Auvitu, Santini...nine guys among the nineteen who played yesterday that played at most one game for the team last year. It is actually a lot when you think about it.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
WOW! Im stunned by the reactions after 1 game for a team most think arent making the playoffs (outside of people who are NJD fans).

If we win tomorrow big im guessing Severson is a stud again, and we are going to win the CUP!

The bipolarness on this board is amazing at times.

It's not really bi polarism because last night was very similar to the 82 games that were watched last year. possession was bad, defense was running damage control etc... not saying its what this team is this year but there wasn't much to get excited about based on 1 game. nobody should be honestly judging the team on 1 game even though frustration was spewing last night. but i for one didn't like what i saw... hopefully they got the kinks out and can play a better game tomorrow... that being said they got a point against what is supposed to be a really good team on the their home opener so not all bad.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's nice, but haven't we seen this song and dance before? He'll have a couple nice games, look like he's turning a corner, and then nothing happens.

I don't think he's going to 'turn a corner', but is he going to outscore himself on a per 60 minute basis at ES? Yes. Will the Devils shoot 2% with him on the ice this year? No.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Geez, stop with the excuses. We played one decent period and spent 18 minutes of the third period in our end. If not for Cory, we lose by two or three goals. Cory gets an A and the rest get a D. It's a team sport and that was a team loss. I just know I've seen this team get pinned a lot last season and I'm already tired of it after one game.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We didn't make the playoffs because Cory and a good chunk of our defense got hurt down the stretch. Also we couldn't score goals at all.

A slow start while they gel isn't going to sink the season. This is sensational panic talk. Hell everyone should expect a slow start with the large amount of roster turnover we have.

We wouldn't have made it even if they were healthy. Our season died when Cammy got hurt

Severson is ahead of where Tyson Barrie was at the same age, people really really need to chill

That's just not true at all. Barrie had 38 points in 64 games at 22. Do you really expect Severson to even match that? At 21 Barrie had 13 points in 32 games with 2 goals, Severson last season at 21 had 21 in 72 with only 1 goal

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
lol by the sounds of it I did myself a favour by missing the 3rd.

Well from what I saw they played well so I'll forget that the rest of the game even happened after I left

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
lol by the sounds of it I did myself a favour by missing the 3rd.

Well from what I saw they played well so I'll forget that the rest of the game even happened after I left

To me they just looked like a team still getting used to each other. Half the defense is new and many of the forwards haven't played together before this season. Zacha and Wood each had 1 game of NHL experience before last night. Speers and Auvitu had none. We've been crying for a youth movement for years. Well, this is it. It's not going to be all sunshine and rainbows.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
It's not really bi polarism because last night was very similar to the 82 games that were watched last year. possession was bad, defense was running damage control etc... not saying its what this team is this year but there wasn't much to get excited about based on 1 game. nobody should be honestly judging the team on 1 game even though frustration was spewing last night. but i for one didn't like what i saw... hopefully they got the kinks out and can play a better game tomorrow... that being said they got a point against what is supposed to be a really good team on the their home opener so not all bad.

Expectations should take into account that this is a team where every line is different from last year. Absorbing a coach's system, forming chemistry with new players, and finding the best fit for each player is not going to happen quickly. It may be 30-40 games in before you see this team playing near it's best. Last night was not impressive, but they did what they'll need to keep doing during this early stretch. Get pts. All the while, keep improving the team game. Work towards building some great chemistry.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
We wouldn't have made it even if they were healthy. Our season died when Cammy got hurt

That's just not true at all. Barrie had 38 points in 64 games at 22. Do you really expect Severson to even match that? At 21 Barrie had 13 points in 32 games with 2 goals, Severson last season at 21 had 21 in 72 with only 1 goal

Zdeno Chara's first four seasons:

'97-'98, 25 GP, 0 G, 1A, 1P
'98-'99, 59 GP, 2G, 6A, 8P
'99-'00, 65 GP, 2G, 9A, 11P
'00-'01, 82 GP, 2G, 7A, 9P

Severson is in his third season, and his peripherals are strong. People need to chill.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To me they just looked like a team still getting used to each other. Half the defense is new and many of the forwards haven't played together before this season. Zacha and Wood each had 1 game of NHL experience before last night. Speers and Auvitu had none. We've been crying for a youth movement for years. Well, this is it. It's not going to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Anything less then 12 McDavids is unacceptable.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Zdeno Chara's first four seasons:

'97-'98, 25 GP, 0 G, 1A, 1P
'98-'99, 59 GP, 2G, 6A, 8P
'99-'00, 65 GP, 2G, 9A, 11P
'00-'01, 82 GP, 2G, 7A, 9P

Severson is in his third season, and his peripherals are strong. People need to chill.

When did I say he sucked? It's just the truth that Barrie was better at the same age

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think Severson is fine, but I don't necessarily think he is going to end up being a top pair guy. We don't have anyone in the system IMO that is capable of being a top pair type of player, think we need to get a guy like Shattenkirk. Our blue line is garbage. Moore and Lovejoy are both nothing more than bottom pair players. We are essentially missing an entire top pair.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Expectations should take into account that this is a team where every line is different from last year. Absorbing a coach's system, forming chemistry with new players, and finding the best fit for each player is not going to happen quickly. It may be 30-40 games in before you see this team playing near it's best. Last night was not impressive, but they did what they'll need to keep doing during this early stretch. Get pts. All the while, keep improving the team game. Work towards building some great chemistry.

Thing is I think some people are expecting to make the playoffs this year with all the positive offseason changes. Or at the very least many of us are expecting an improvement off last year and stay in the race till April. But it becomes harder with a slow start and if certain players don't break out. If they have a .500 start through the first twenty games that's not the worst thing in the world, but they can't afford 5-15 growing pains.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Severson is fine, but I don't necessarily think he is going to end up being a top pair guy. We don't have anyone in the system IMO that is capable of being a top pair type of player, think we need to get a guy like Shattenkirk. Our blue line is garbage. Moore and Lovejoy are both nothing more than bottom pair players. We are essentially missing an entire top pair.

Severson had 25 goals and 113 points in 135 games his last two years in juniors, I don't see why we can't hope for him to be a top-end defenseman here just because it hasn't happened 'yet'.

Thing is if Severson doesn't develop an offensive game at this level than we really have nobody that can do it from the blueline unless Auvitu is more than just a September wonder.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
How I'd do the lines for next game:

Hall - Henrique - Josefson
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - PAP
Wood - Fiddler - Speers

Extra: DSP, Bennett

Yes that is Josefson on the first line. I think he'd look good with H&H

Also, put Santini in for Quincey

This isn't a bad idea, the other team would focus more on hall/henrique which would give JJ more space, which, as seen on the powerplay, he works better with

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson had 25 goals and 113 points in 135 games his last two years in juniors, I don't see why we can't hope for him to be a top-end defenseman here just because it hasn't happened 'yet'.

Thing is if Severson doesn't develop an offensive game at this level than we really have nobody that can do it from the blueline unless Auvitu is more than just a September wonder.

Whenever I bring this up, it tends to make things awfully hot in here, but I know there's a few people that agree.

Maybe he shouldn't have been brought up to the NHL at age 20 and with no pro experience? Same goes for Merrill and some have questioned the same about Larsson. I think it's hurt Merrill more than any of them the most. I think with Larsson, it was logical to think that he could just jump in. Most 4th overall picks do play in the NHL right away.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Whenever I bring this up, it tends to make things awfully hot in here, but I know there's a few people that agree.

Maybe he shouldn't have been brought up to the NHL at age 20 and with no pro experience? Same goes for Merrill and some have questioned the same about Larsson. I think it's hurt Merrill more than any of them the most. I think with Larsson, it was logical to think that he could just jump in. Most 4th overall picks do play in the NHL right away.

Severson jumped directly into the NHL and began playing like a top-pairing defenseman. Putting him in the AHL would've been a disservice to him and the team. We can sit here and list off players who've bypassed the AHL or we can acknowledge that a player's development is not always linear.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Did we not just see Larsson take a few years to find himself in this league? And as for Severson's lack of production, is that surprising given the team as a whole has been really bad at scoring goals the last two years?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Did we not just see Larsson take a few years to find himself in this league? And as for Severson's lack of production, is that surprising given the team as a whole has been really bad at scoring goals the last two years?

D taker longer to develop then forwards. Almost always the case.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Severson has not shown progression since his rookie year. Too early to tell for this season, but based on pre-season and the first game, he hasn't looked great. If Severson doesn't show progression, we need to go out and get a top end Dman who can move the puck (Shattenkirk).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Severson 38 points in 124 games - turned 22 about 60 days ago or so.

Oliver Eckman-Larrson 43 points 130 games first two seasons splitting time in the AHL his rookie year turned 22 years old the summer of his second season.

Victor Hedman 46 points 153 games 19 and 20 year old season but didn't break 26 points his first 4 seasons.

Duncan Keith 52 points in 163 games(first two seasons) as a 22 and 23 year old after 2 full AHL years.

Ryan Suter 40 points in 153 games as a 20 and 21 year old after a full year in college and a full year in the AHL

Justin Faulk 37 points in 104 games over two years going up and down in the AHL Turned 23 in March of his 2nd season.

Kris Letang. 52 points over 3 seasons (only 7 games his 1st season) and 144 games. Turned 23 years old in April of his 3rd year(2nd real year).

John Carlson 43 points in 104 games. Turned 21 in January of his second season after he split time with AHL and NHL in his first season only playing 22 games.

Point is, I have no idea what people are expecting from Severson? He is right in-line with these players and none of those players played on team as inept as NJ at offense... except for maybe Faulk.

He is on pace to be an excellent 2 way defender. It is actually happening and It's pretty undeniable.

Last edited:

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Taylor Hall, Mike Cammalleri, Kyle Palmieri, Adam Henrique are all top end forwards - Zajac, Parenteau, Bennett should provide solid depth with Zacha not too far behind.

This team should be a playoff team.

The only big question mark is the defense. A lot of the Devils' success on the blueline will be determined by Severson. He needs to take a step forward this year and I think he will.

kiwidevil

The Severson hate seems to come from him taking chances and getting burned for it once in a while. We need someone to push the go button on this team. When all we have is Dmen who sit in their shell and dig a hole, we just sit back and wait for the attack to come at us.

Larsson was this way. "he is just so soild, so few mistakes". Yep, because the play is so passive and chance less. A big part of the reason we barely average 20 shots and about 3 genuine scoring chances a night.

I'm sick of "hanging on" from puck drop. Let's control the play for the first time in about 4 years.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Taylor Hall, Mike Cammalleri, Kyle Palmieri, Adam Henrique are all top end forwards - Zajac, Parenteau, Bennett should provide solid depth with Zacha not too far behind.

This team should be a playoff team.

The only big question mark is the defense. A lot of the Devils' success on the blueline will be determined by Severson. He needs to take a step forward this year and I think he will.

Top end? Hall is easily. The others are debatable. Henrique I don't think is top end at all. Cammalleri could decline at any season now, but he could be considered that I suppose depending on your definition. Palmeri I think is our 2nd best offensive forward and could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad