Extra: DSP, Bennett

Yes that is Josefson on the first line. I think he'd look good with H&H

Also, put Santini in for Quincey
Ha, now you've crossed a line.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Josefson is completely out of place on a good team. It's fine to argue him getting ice time over plugs like Gionta and Farnham but now that we have an actual team with some talent he's exposed as being a huge black hole.

He doesn't have the speed, physicality, poise, or skill to keep up with competent players. He only shines when being compared to fringe AHLers and career journeymen.

As for his special teams, again, who else did we have last year? It's not like Kalinin/Fiddler aren't upgrades at PK and Hall/PAP aren't upgrades on PP. Joe doesn't have a role on this team anymore IMO.

he has both of those things....

its not just that he was upgrades over other players on the PP last year. its that he helped the PP become good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are we now in love with PAP because a puck went in off his skate?

JJ did his half wall thing again last night, not sure who it was on the side of the net,(I think Zajac) but JJ put that guy in a great position to hit the fwd cutting into the slot(I think Rico).

PAP is a better offensive player than Josefson, it ain't even close. Last night's goal has nothing to do with it.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He did play well. He just got owned on the final play, interference or not and looked like kid who got his lunch stolen. He needs to play with more fire in his belly. Hopefully, he will.

I'm really not going to blame him when the Devils were lucky the game went to OT at all. Most of the team played like they didn't want a point, nonetheless two.

Overall, if I see Severson play at the level he did last night throughout the season, I'm not going to be complaining about him.

There were so many other issues with the team last game that complaining about Severson seems agenda-driven to me.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Are we now in love with PAP because a puck went in off his skate?

JJ did his half wall thing again last night, not sure who it was on the side of the net,(I think Zajac) but JJ put that guy in a great position to hit the fwd cutting into the slot(I think Rico).

PAP has produced everywhere he's been and is a legitimate scoring forward. There's no reason to put a career journeyman on the PP when we now have much more qualified forwards available.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
It was like there was no offseason at all. Sure, new faces. Same old crappy team. But...it was one game only.

But at the same time it's remarkable how our once so promising D has totally become a major bust and a huge weakness now.

We were once raving about having Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini.

Sure, we turned Larsson into a Taylor Hall. But the rest have become major busts and disappointments. Santini will maybe become something. But we'll see.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
That's the question I was going to ask.

I think he could be a solid 2nd pair guy with some 1st pairing potential.

We all know he is on the 1st pair more because of lack of rhd options.

But also remember the expectations are not only because of that hot streak to start his NHL career. He had a very impressive juniors career.

That's probably pretty align with my own. Anyway, I'm hoping for a good season from Severson, and when he makes mistakes, I'll keep my fingers crossed that he'll learn from them. He's definitely still young enough to do so.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Sevs was fine except for a few incidents.

Josefson was fine.

Zacha was fine, but his individual possession #s were really bad.

The D in general was a shambles.

Cory carried the team yet again.

Hall was good.

DSP was not good.

Rest of the forwards were average.

These are the facts of the case and may god have mercy on our souls.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
It was like there was no offseason at all. Sure, new faces. Same old crappy team. But...it was one game only.

But at the same time it's remarkable how our once so promising D has totally become a major bust and a huge weakness now.

We were once raving about having Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini.

Sure, we turned Larsson into a Taylor Hall. But the rest have become major busts and disappointments. Santini will maybe become something. But we'll see.

We held a team that won it's division last year, who are even better now, to 1 goal in regulation.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'm really not going to blame him when the Devils were lucky the game went to OT at all. Most of the team played like they didn't want a point, nonetheless two.

Overall, if I see Severson play at the level he did last night throughout the season, I'm not going to be complaining about him.

There were so many other issues with the team last game that complaining about Severson seems agenda-driven to me.

Not blaming him. We're lucky to have gotten a point. And I don't care about winning or losing the opener. It's more about how we played.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But PAP has been a lousy PP player, which was the point I think.
Which is probably why he wasn't used on the PP at all.
We held a team that won it's division last year, who are even better now, to 1 goal in regulation.

We did, but I mostly just saw Cory making saves. We didn't play all that well at even strength. It wasn't the worst game we've played defensively in the last year, but it was worse than our average standard of play in that time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Not blaming him. We're lucky to have gotten a point. And I don't care about winning or losing the opener. It's more about how we played.

The team as a whole played pretty bad, but then again, Florida has been a rough match-up for us. If we could come out of the Florida road trip with at least another point, it may not be a horrible start to the season, although the team has to improve.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Sevs was fine except for a few incidents.

Josefson was fine.

Zacha was fine, but his individual possession #s were really bad.

The D in general was a shambles.

Cory carried the team yet again.

Hall was good.

DSP was not good.

Rest of the forwards were average.

These are the facts of the case and may god have mercy on our souls.

Hall was not particularly good at all in my opinion. Had some flashes, but played well below his capabilities.

He's still settling in though. Just don't think he had a good game.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Below Hall's capabilities is still better than most people in the NHL, and certainly was one of the few forwards doing anything.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That seems fair.

I'm in a spot where I'm still waiting with Severson, seeing what he develops into, but I'm confident he'll slot into the top four somewhere. I'd like to see more of what he can do with Greene because that's where he's looked most confident and effective in his career, and that could be good for him this year.

I just think a lot of the ripping on Severson has less to do with his actual play and more to do with the opinions of other posters, and I think that's a bit unfair to Severson. I don't think a young top four defenseman deserves some of the hate he gets around here is all.
It really doesn't seem fair at all. The 25 point nonsense.

He just produced 21 points shooting at 1% on the lowest scoring team in the nhl as sophomore....it's almost ludicrous to suggest he's only going to be a 25 point defenseman. Seriously, like beyond silly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Hall was fine, he was good on the PK too.

But I would rather not use him on the PK, just so he can play more at even strength and on the power play.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I thought Hall was fine, he was good on the PK too.

But I would rather not use him on the PK, just so he can play more at even strength and on the power play.

They want the Kovy factor wherein if there's any bobbling of the puck he's down the ice in no time for a breakaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad