Post-Game Talk: Panthers 2, Devils 1 OT - '16-17 Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the game Jim spoke of in the last thread about Larsson on the OT winner was back in 14-15 against the Islanders.

I vaguely remember Tavares stripping him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Whatever. I'm over it. We got a point against a team that's supposed to be better than us, while we were still trying to gel.

I actually liked Josefson tonight, but... still think he should be on the 4th line.

It thought Auvitu had some serious defensive problems. He seems to be beat with speed. However, he adds a dimension we don't really have. He's still going to be the next Rafalski due to me using my jedi mind tricks and force of will.

I really felt nervous every time Moore was out there. I don't know if it was force of habit, or that he was shaky. Someone else here thought he played well, so maybe it's just me.

The 1st line was definitely dissapointing. I really feel like Bennett slots in their RW better than DSP.

I felt Zajac wasn't nearly as bad as people here were making him out to be. At least later in the game he set up a few chances.

I was surprised to see Speers on the PK with the game on the line at the end there. They must really have a lot of faith in him.

I know it's only one game, but I'm beginning to wonder if Hall would actually be better next to Zajac. There were a couple times where the line change was incomplete and they ended up on the ice together, and actually seemed to play well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think the game Jim spoke of in the last thread about Larsson on the OT winner was back in 14-15 against the Islanders.

I vaguely remember Tavares stripping him.

I figured you'd remember :)

But I'm not sure that was the one, I think there was another one with bobbled puck? I want to say it was against Ottawa but I'm not 100% sure.

But I remember saying that wasn't a fundamental error like a poor gap, getting beat wide or a poor decision on pinch... that was more bad luck.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

And I saw on TV where Severson took the blame for the OT play.

I don't know...

Seems like a bit of political correctness and not wanting to offend refs this early?

Were they asked directly about interference? Cory was pissed at the end of that play and looked like he was barking at the ref.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I was willing to say that play was interference too, but given both Severson and Hynes gave it a pass I gotta back off.

It's Game 1. Hynes is a smart guy and isn't going to start ****** about the refs on Opening night. I wouldnt either.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hated the lines. Dont know why Bennett was scratched, thought he played well in the preseason. Also do not want to see DSP in the top 6, he is not a fast enough skater.

Hall Henrique Bennett
Cammalleri Zacha Palmieri
Wood/Boucher Zajac Parenteau
Josefson/Kalinin Fiddler DSP

Also think Santini provides a better transition game which Quincey cannot.

Greene Severson
Moore Lovejoy
Auvitu Santini

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No politics (especially partisan) here...go to the politics board for that or get infracted.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Hated the lines. Dont know why Bennett was scratched, thought he played well in the preseason. Also do not want to see DSP in the top 6, he is not a fast enough skater.

Hall Henrique Bennett
Cammalleri Zacha Palmieri
Wood/Boucher Zajac Parenteau
Josefson/Kalinin Fiddler DSP

Also think Santini provides a better transition game which Quincey cannot.

Greene Severson
Moore Lovejoy
Auvitu Santini

Why kill two good wingers at once?

I'd like to see:

Hall-Rico-Speers/Bennett
Boucher/Wood-Stone Hands-Palms
Cammy-Zacha-Parenteau
Kalinin-Fiddler-Josefson

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It looked like Severson was stopping to go back to the puck and the Florida player just kept going and shoved him down.

I'd also like to know where the hell the support was defensively. Barkov could have stopped for a cup of coffee and still had time to get a shot off.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That was pathetic by Severson.
Can't turn it over there.
Have to value the puck better.

I didn't like what Hynes put on the ice after the start in OT.

Overall bad game by NJD.
Weak play carried over from the preseason.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Overall I thought we played well, considering the opponent. The Panthers are a really, really good team. I think it's them, the Pens and the Bolts in the east. Unfortunately we play the Lightning next.

Very happy to get a point against them, especially on the road.

Individuals who stood out to me, obviously Auvitu. Hall I though played really well, generated a lot of scoring chances. Got stronger as the game went on too, even as we got weaker in the third.

I loved Blake Speers. I honestly wouldn't mind giving him a shot with Henrique and Hall. They seem to want a high battle level from the player in that spot, and Speers was fantastic at that all night. Impressive debut for a 19 year old. Wood was good, too.

Zacha was great all night. I love his defensive zone play, especially on Jagr in the overtime. I wonder what was going through his head playing against him, he must have been one of his idols growing up. Really wish Jags was still on the team, for that and other reasons. I fully believe he's going to play into his 50s, he's just not slowing down at all.

I love how hard Palmieri goes on every shift. You wouldn't think he's just 5'11 the way he's not afraid to go at people.

I don't know what kind of a chance we stand against the Bolts, but the Ducks and the Bruins are completely beatable. Hopefully more goals start going in for us.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sloppy and they mostly got outworked for loose pucks.
Hynes can't be happy.

Very fortunate to get a point.
Winnable, yes.
But they didn't deserve 2 points.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
For some reason, every time I saw Paranteau, I was thinking he was Dean McAmmond. Maybe it's his size... I dunno.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
DSP doesn't belong anywhere near the first line, a hot streak of garbage goals when we first acquired him doesn't make him a first line winger.

Hall - Henrique - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - Bennett
Wood - Zajac - Parenteau
Kalinin - Fiddler - Smith-Pelly
Boucher, JJ

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Definitely agree on DSP not really fitting with Hall/Henrique. I just don't think he thinks or moves quick enough to hang with them. Bennett would be a better fit for how they play.

Wood and Speers both look like they need work at a lower level. I love Wood's bull in a china shop mentality, but he needs to control himself better. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to actually slow things down a little. Speers I think is going to be a really nice bottom 6 guy in the future, but at this point I think he'd benefit from playing more in the OHL.

Group Chat Legend*

Definitely agree on DSP not really fitting with Hall/Henrique. I just don't think he thinks or moves quick enough to hang with them. Bennett would be a better fit for how they play.

Wood and Speers both look like they need work at a lower level. I love Wood's bull in a china shop mentality, but he needs to control himself better. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to actually slow things down a little. Speers I think is going to be a really nice bottom 6 guy in the future, but at this point I think he'd benefit from playing more in the OHL.

I think Wood can stay up. Speers looks way too raw. Bennett or PAP on the top line is much better than DSP who I think would excel on the 3rd line. Josefson needs to be on the 4th and special teams thats it.

Otherwise I think the defense overall is NJ's biggest worry. They need another top 4, preferably a top 3 dman, badly. And there are definitely some available in somewhat interesting situations in terms of not having to pay full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad