Post-Game Talk: Panthers 2, Devils 1 OT - '16-17 Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Yeah, this unit should be fine. You're absolutely right. Auvitu doesn't have to be good. Severson doesn't have to be a top-pairing guy. They will just lug around Moore, who was a drag last year, easily. Greene turns 34 this month, he'll be fine, 34 year old defensemen with Greene's profile are usually great. Lovejoy and Quincey, D men over the age of 30 are just humming along in this league especially with their profiles.

The defense has problems. They didn't score goals 5 on 5 last year, so that's one issue. The Devils defense scored 10 goals last year 5 on 5 and 5 were by Schlemko. That's got to be improved upon.

The Devils may not give up more than an average number of goals this season, but their defensemen are not a strong point of the team, not yet.

i don't disagree with you, so far. this league demands smooth skating puck moving defenseman . i think the devils defense has not proven they fit that mold yet... i do think when santini avituu greene severson etc. eventually get going they will have guys that can do this.. didn't look good against florida in this respect but was probably more of a function of their forwards allowing florida to coast through neutral zone at will... fyi hall's defensive game was a little shaky just saying something to keep an eye on

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I still think Santini is going to become our minutes sponge on the right side.

Doesn't help us this year, but long term I got faith in him.

We need a guy who can move the puck, that is what this D needs. Only guy in our bottom 4 that can is Auvitu. Santini might be a fine bottom pair guy or a 2nd pair guy down the line, but we need some puck movers desperately. I would be open to a Fowler type addition for the 2nd pair. Send Quincy or Merrill the other way as a throw in.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Once guys like Santini and Severson reach their potential, Greene will be declined further. We have nobody in the pipeline. Ray needs to do something IMO.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Once guys like Santini and Severson reach their potential, Greene will be declined further. We have nobody in the pipeline. Ray needs to do something IMO.

Pretty much use every single pick we have the next two years on D and hope one of our current prospects steps up in a big way...and spend some money this offseason on a FA

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Pretty much use every single pick we have the next two years on D and hope one of our current prospects steps up in a big way...and spend some money this offseason on a FA

They will most likely not be ready for 5 or so years. We don't have that much time to wait. Hall, Rico and Palms are in their primes, same with Schneider. We need to be able to compete within 3 seasons IMO, have to look outside the org.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I'm all for making our team better, but I don't think we sell the whole future for this roster. I love Henrique, Palmieri, and Greene but they're not the type of guys you rush a cup for. Schneider and Hall, I would agree with, but this team isn't close to a cup contender yet. Maybe once we see whether Zacha is going to be a top line talent, then we may have the core pieces to try and build something, but until we know that for sure, I like the speed and direction that Shero is going with this team.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Colton White is very Greene-esque and way more encouraging than Jacobs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Moore has quietly been strong so far.

He definitely has the toolbox to be a good 2LD so here's to hoping he puts it together this year.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Yeah, this unit should be fine. You're absolutely right. Auvitu doesn't have to be good. Severson doesn't have to be a top-pairing guy. They will just lug around Moore, who was a drag last year, easily. Greene turns 34 this month, he'll be fine, 34 year old defensemen with Greene's profile are usually great. Lovejoy and Quincey, D men over the age of 30 are just humming along in this league especially with their profiles.

The defense has problems. They didn't score goals 5 on 5 last year, so that's one issue. The Devils defense scored 10 goals last year 5 on 5 and 5 were by Schlemko. That's got to be improved upon.

The Devils may not give up more than an average number of goals this season, but their defensemen are not a strong point of the team, not yet.

When HF is rational >>>>>>>>>>

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I never said he ruined him... He's obviously not ruined considering he's a top pairing dman.

And all data support that he was held back. Might as well say "ah the Thalidomide causes flipper babies excuse" TIL reasons for things are fantastical excuses

But hey, time to talk about Larsson again because, you know, big diversion from the topic of our own team.

Camille the Eel

We need a guy who can move the puck, that is what this D needs. Only guy in our bottom 4 that can is Auvitu. Santini might be a fine bottom pair guy or a 2nd pair guy down the line, but we need some puck movers desperately. I would be open to a Fowler type addition for the 2nd pair. Send Quincy or Merrill the other way as a throw in.

Actually I think we need guys who can possess the puck and dominate ice down the middle. Center Ice and Defensemen with size strength and skill. Guys who can match up against, for example, Barkov of Florida as to center ice or Shea Webber on D. It's both D men and Center. Look how Gostisbere transformed Philly - one piece that was all.

Zacha can potentially be such a piece at center if he develops. (Henrique unfortunately is not a natural center in that skill set although he can play there). Severson, Santini, Merrill can develop we'll see.

And it's a process, it's not going to be done in a second, there's no magic bullet.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Actually I think we need guys who can possess the puck and dominate ice down the middle. Center Ice and Defensemen with size strength and skill. Guys who can match up against, for example, Barkov of Florida as to center ice or Shea Webber on D. It's both D men and Center. Look how Gostisbere transformed Philly - one piece that was all.

Zacha can potentially be such a piece at center if he develops. (Henrique unfortunately is not a natural center in that skill set although he can play there). Severson, Santini, Merrill can develop we'll see.

And it's a process, it's not going to be done in a second, there's no magic bullet.

Much rather have a Keith or Karlsson type player than a Weber

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Much rather have a Keith or Karlsson type player than a Weber

I would take any elite defender at this point.

Weber, Subban, Josi, Karlsson, Doughty, Keith.

Teams are rarely contenders without a top tier defender and center that can take over games. Just think about how much impact Doughty had when the Devils played the Kings in the SCF. Prior to that, the best defender the Devils faced was probably McDonagh.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would take any elite defender at this point.

Weber, Subban, Josi, Karlsson, Doughty, Keith.

Teams are rarely contenders without a top tier defender and center that can take over games. Just think about how much impact Doughty had when the Devils played the Kings in the SCF. Prior to that, the best defender the Devils faced was probably McDonagh.

Weber is not elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad