Panther Parkway Radio: Jeff Marek Talks Weegar, Ekblad, Free Agency, Draft Day

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
It's very risky taking a defenseman first overall, especially when this the weakest draft class in 10 years or so. Ekblad doesn't make us better, tomorrow. He makes us better in 2 years (IF, and that's a big IF, if he pans out the way we hope)... Depending on the trade, if Tallon can get a legit 30 goal scoring winger from a team like Edmonton, who needs Ekblad way more than us? He won't give up that opportunity, nor should he.

If we take Ekblad, there is no harm in it at all. But he will most likely need to go back to juniors for a year, also nothing wrong with that. It's going to be interesting.

This draft is weak on depth not weak on high end talent.

Since you have watched him play "so much more than HF Posters" why is it that most scouts have him as a number 1. Should I be trusting your PROFESSIONAL "trained eye" since most of us have "never watched him play" and you clearly have:laugh:? If a 30 goal scorer is so important why do the Oilers only have 1 more win then we do despite having 3 players within a goal or two of the 30 mark?

So Tallon wont give up the opportunity to draft a franchise defenseman despite having a number center a number one winger and multiple scoring prospects in order to get a thirty goal scorer that can be had through free agency... Makes sense, so glad the media "experts" can guide HF posters with their hockey wisdom :laugh:

CoolburnIsGone

Paige Lewis @PaigeLewisFL
I love all the people on HF boards, who have NEVER seen Ekblad play, are all like "Can't believe u want to trade the pick for a goal scorer"
Reply · Retweet · Favorite
:laugh:
Wow, talk about a condescending attitude just because people dont agree with you. :shakehead :madfire:
Yup.

She has a point though.
She MAY have a point but I'd love to hear how many times she's seen Ekblad, IN-PERSON. Cause as we know, watching hockey in-person is a completely different experience then watching at home (either via TV or feed). Plus I'd love to hear how many times she's actually seen all of these prospects play in the OHL/WHL to make a judgement that her opinion is so much better than the rest of us. I'm betting you she's seen little more than what most of us have (mostly highlights).
You heard the radio-feed ? I like her host skills and what she says most of the time, but when talking about prospects it seems like she was reading stats-sheet...

I find her to be quiet arrogant poking fun at Florida fans who may not have the chance to watch junior hockey but can still have their opinions, no ?
Honestly, I didnt listen to the radio podcast. But based on your comments, I'm guessing it's not really worth it. Anyone can read a stat sheet, having actual analysis is much harder & shows more knowledge.

Even if she's seen these kids in juniors, its not like she's some scout or so much better than any of us. Her arrogance is honestly why I dont read anything she writes over on Panther Parkway (mostly based on her profile on the About Us section). There's better ways to get the message across without insulting the fan base with a "holier than thou" attitude.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I didnt listen to the radio podcast. But based on your comments, I'm guessing it's not really worth it. Anyone can read a stat sheet, having actual analysis is much harder & shows more knowledge.

It's worth a listen for Marek's insight who I would definitely consider a "hockey expert" based on his experience and role w/ Sportsnet. He lives and breathes junior hockey and he has some great insight on all of the guys projected to go early.

After hearing him talk about Ekblad I am definitley higher on him than I was before. I have only seen him play about 2 games this season, so it was nice to hear more about him outside of articles and rankings.

PeejLewis

Aug 23, 2013
Hey guys,

Just wanted to apologize if my tweet the other night came off the wrong way. I'm just always dealing with a lot of people sending me tweets about how I'm crazy for thinking about trading the #1 pick and that Ekblad is the only guy worth taking because of his ranking and report. I do watch a lot of junior hockey and guys like Marek keep me very well updated on all of these guys and I'm sorry that I unfairly labeled a group of people just because a handful of guys on twitter that were giving me a hard time.

Thanks to everyone who listened to the podcast.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Hey guys,

Just wanted to apologize if my tweet the other night came off the wrong way. I'm just always dealing with a lot of people sending me tweets about how I'm crazy for thinking about trading the #1 pick and that Ekblad is the only guy worth taking because of his ranking and report. I do watch a lot of junior hockey and guys like Marek keep me very well updated on all of these guys and I'm sorry that I unfairly labeled a group of people just because a handful of guys on twitter that were giving me a hard time.

Thanks to everyone who listened to the podcast.

It was a good show imo. You have to entertain all scenarios. Trading the pick is one. I don't see the problem with it.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Great podcast, but it won't change my mind that Sam Bennett is the best player in this draft.

Also interesting to hear Mareks opinion about the Panthers as a destination.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Speaking about potential snipers available in FAs, I don't get how nobody mention Cammalleri !

He would be one of my picks... Purest sniper available with Vanek IMO.

Don't know about the character and what he brings to the locker-room though.

Still kind of young, scoring his goals, great hands, deadly wrister, and he will go to the best situation with the best paycheck which we can both offer to a sniper like Cammy !

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Speaking about potential snipers available in FAs, I don't get how nobody mention Cammalleri !

He would be one of my picks... Purest sniper available with Vanek IMO.

Don't know about the character and what he brings to the locker-room though.

Still kind of young, scoring his goals, great hands, deadly wrister, and he will go to the best situation with the best paycheck which we can both offer to a sniper like Cammy !

He's bee mentioned the odd time here and there.

gauseka15

Apr 21, 2014
Isle of Man
Am i the only panthers fan in Virginia? Haha probably, anyways i know how to watch every game (and CHL, AHL, etc) online for free, if anyone is interested.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Yup.

She has a point though.

The annoying part is that I have seen Ekblad play extensively. Here in Canada we have a ton of television coverage of the CHL, and the Barrie Colts are one of the most popular teams in the OHL. It's unfair of her to make snap judgments like that.

Ekblad is the real deal. I cannot believe how many people around here are open to trading the pick. You really wanna draft ANOTHER forward? We have a complete log jam up front. Our defense is ****ing atrocious. Our offense stinks because our defense stinks. I'm sorry. You can't have much of an attack if none of your d-man can complete an outlet pass. Ekblad has a strong first pass, is a good skater, hits, plays tough, has an absolute bomb for a shot and is a big, BIG kid.

Bringing up Kulikov or Ellerby is so asinine. None of them were ever touted to be what Ekblad is touted to be. Jay Bouwmeester was drafted top-3 and he's a great NHL defenseman. Bouwmeester on this team would make us a lot better, no?

Trading this pick would be a mistake. We're not just going to get Eberle as a throw in. If we want one of Edmonton's best scorers, we're going to need to give up something significant. Howden, Shore, Trocheck, none of them are "significant". They haven't proven anything yet. Eberle is a proven goal scorer in this league at the old age of 24. To get him, Bjugstad or Huberdeau will most likely have to be included. Edmonton won't give up Eberle for an AHL prospect just to move up 2 spots. Some of you are flat out insane for thinking this is even a realistic possibility. Eberle is better than ANY forward on this team right now. Sure Barkov, Bjugstad and Hubs are important to the long-term success of the team, but right now, none of them are better than Jordan Eberle.

Nothing we get with the moved pick will be a return that any of us will be happy with. Thankfully Tallon isn't a nuts and a guy like Ekblad is right up his alley. I really do not see him passing up an opportunity to draft a future #1 defenseman, especially when there is not a single forward who is the clear cut number 1, and the future of our defense is still very much up in the air.

Also, the fact that "he helps us next year/doesn't help us next year" is such a pointless argument. How about we stop rushing kids and just let them play another year in junior? Whether or not the prospect can play on the big club following the draft SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NEVER DETERMINE WHO YOU PICK.

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Finally got to listen, based on Marek's comments on Ekblad expanding his game more offensively this season I'm more inclined to let him take 1 more year in jrs. Let him experiment with his game and see how far he push the offensive role. Would be best for him to do that in jrs.

I'd also like to add that Canadian sunburn stories are the best.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Bringing up Kulikov or Ellerby is so asinine. None of them were ever touted to be what Ekblad is touted to be. Jay Bouwmeester was drafted top-3 and he's a great NHL defenseman. Bouwmeester on this team would make us a lot better, no?

[/B]

Jaybo is a "great" defenseman? Strongly disagree. He was solid with us but not great. He was a complete bust at Calgary. Now he's back to solid. This is not the resume of "great". Most would agree for a top 3 pick he's a bust.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Jaybo is a "great" defenseman? Strongly disagree. He was solid with us but not great. He was a complete bust at Calgary. Now he's back to solid. This is not the resume of "great". Most would agree for a top 3 pick he's a bust.

Sounds like someone's still bitter that JBlo quit the second he found out he wasn't getting traded. His falloff, coupled with a handful of ref-blown games kept us out his last season here...

Is Ekblad a monotone personality type that quits?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The annoying part is that I have seen Ekblad play extensively. Here in Canada we have a ton of television coverage of the CHL, and the Barrie Colts are one of the most popular teams in the OHL. It's unfair of her to make snap judgments like that.

Ekblad is the real deal. I cannot believe how many people around here are open to trading the pick. You really wanna draft ANOTHER forward? We have a complete log jam up front. Our defense is ****ing atrocious. Our offense stinks because our defense stinks. I'm sorry. You can't have much of an attack if none of your d-man can complete an outlet pass. Ekblad has a strong first pass, is a good skater, hits, plays tough, has an absolute bomb for a shot and is a big, BIG kid.

Trading this pick would be a mistake. We're not just going to get Eberle as a throw in. If we want one of Edmonton's best scorers, we're going to need to give up something significant. Howden, Shore, Trocheck, none of them are "significant". They haven't proven anything yet. Eberle is a proven goal scorer in this league at the old age of 24. To get him, Bjugstad or Huberdeau will most likely have to be included. Edmonton won't give up Eberle for an AHL prospect just to move up 2 spots. Some of you are flat out insane for thinking this is even a realistic possibility. Eberle is better than ANY forward on this team right now. Sure Barkov, Bjugstad and Hubs are important to the long-term success of the team, but right now, none of them are better than Jordan Eberle.

Nothing we get with the moved pick will be a return that any of us will be happy with. Thankfully Tallon isn't a nuts and a guy like Ekblad is right up his alley. I really do not see him passing up an opportunity to draft a future #1 defenseman, especially when there is not a single forward who is the clear cut number 1, and the future of our defense is still very much up in the air.

Also, the fact that "he helps us next year/doesn't help us next year" is such a pointless argument. How about we stop rushing kids and just let them play another year in junior? Whether or not the prospect can play on the big club following the draft SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NEVER DETERMINE WHO YOU PICK.

Great post, Henrik Lundqvist-drafted like 200th overall in 2000...made his debut in 2005, best goalie ever lived ever since.

We need the strongest defense possible, especially since #72 is taking awhile to progress. #44 will be fine when his injuries subside. #7 will be fine when he moves to forward. #51 needs someone to feed. Olsen is something to not complain about. Gilbert isn't as bad as he started off to be. We'll see on Robak. Racine might improve up someday soon..

Jovocabe...can we get Brennan back?

What kind of Dman is Weegar? I'll be honest to say I know nothing more than what's typed here about him.

Last edited:

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
For all the VA fans, I'm in Alexandria, VA.

As far as what we do with the pick, I haven't seen any of the players play...so I don't really know what to think. I believe that Tallon and Luce will take the player that brings us closer to the Cup in the long term, rather than the playoffs in the short term.

They will likely explore options to trade the pick (who wouldn't ?), but I doubt any team would trade a bona fide star player for the first overall pick. Trading the first overall for Ovechkin is tempting, I think I would do that trade in a heartbeat...but ultimately I feel it will be a fruitless endeavor. Ovechkin does not play a 200 foot game like Stamkos or Crosby.

The basic question(s) when trading the 1st overall pick is:

"Do I want a prospect who has a Z probability to be 1st pairing/1st line player for X amount of years ?" "How does he fit into my long term plan for the franchise ?"

vs.

"Do I want an established NHL player who is already a 1st pairing/1st line player for Y amount of years ?" "How does he fit into my short AND long term plan for the franchise ?"

Frankly, if the between the 1st and 3rd picks was Jordan Eberle...we would just take whatever prospect that would at 1. I just can't see Edmonton doing something as stupid as trading Yakupov or Eberle to move up two spots in the draft. Personally, I would probably evaluate the prospects and take the one that has the highest chance to be a game breaker, and be patient if he needs more development time. That's just my opinion. In no way is it right.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Great post, Henrik Lundqvist-drafted like 200th overall in 2000...made his debut in 2005, best goalie ever lived ever since.

We need the strongest defense possible, especially since #72 is taking awhile to progress. #44 will be fine when his injuries subside. #7 will be fine when he moves to forward. #51 needs someone to feed. Olsen is something to not complain about. Gilbert isn't as bad as he started off to be. We'll see on Robak. Racine might improve up someday soon..

Jovocabe...can we get Brennan back?

What kind of Dman is Weegar? I'll be honest to say I know nothing more than what's typed here about him.

I know he player in the AHL this year, but in his time here I thought he was pretty good...

Didn't understand Dale when he didn't gave him a chance during the off-season then signed Whitney and Gilbert in training camp !

Hope Brennan can find a spot on an NHL team next year ! He deserves it !

Edit: Oh and you're right about our defensemen not developing quickly ! We have a glut of forwards and we may even be forced to trade someone with potential like Shore because there isn't enough spots on this team going forward...

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ekblad is the real deal. I cannot believe how many people around here are open to trading the pick.

The expectations taking a player at #1 overall are that he is a franchise player. Will he be? Some here say he is a surefire #1 / franchise D or whatever when they have absolutely no way of knowing how he will turn out in the end.

Ekblad is getting drafted in a mediocre draft year and hasn't separated himself in any way. And this is a draft where the top end is considered mediocre. Sure, he will be a top 4 D man and has probably a good chance of being top 2 in some timeframe (that we don't know).

And I have nothing against drafting him, I just think this "surefire" thing is bs and DT weighing other options, even if people don't like it, is certainly a possibility.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Sounds like someone's still bitter that JBlo quit the second he found out he wasn't getting traded. His falloff, coupled with a handful of ref-blown games kept us out his last season here...

Is Ekblad a monotone personality type that quits?

Couldn't tell he "felloff", he was never impressive before that :)

My point is top 3 picks ar expected to be franchise players, and he's far from that on his 3rd franchise.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Well, it depends on your standards for great. He's a top pairing defenseman, can log heavy minutes and play in all situations. I'd say he's a great defenseman. Being a top 50 defenseman in the world, I'd say that's great. Is he a future HOFer or anything, no absolutely not. Has he lived up to his maximum potential? No. But if we can get a top pairing defenseman in the top 3 then I'll make that pick every time.

Franchise players are very rare so you can't expect every top 3 pick to become a franchise player.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Couldn't tell he "felloff", he was never impressive before that :)

My point is top 3 picks ar expected to be franchise players, and he's far from that on his 3rd franchise.
Yeah? Well, that year (again-his contract year) he was living up to his potential, was doing everything right, we were in the playoff mix at that point mostly because of his solidarity that year.

..and then he found out he wasn't going anywhere, back to lax Ben Stein style hockey!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I know he player in the AHL this year, but in his time here I thought he was pretty good...

Didn't understand Dale when he didn't gave him a chance during the off-season then signed Whitney and Gilbert in training camp !

Hope Brennan can find a spot on an NHL team next year ! He deserves it !

Edit: Oh and you're right about our defensemen not developing quickly ! We have a glut of forwards and we may even be forced to trade someone with potential like Shore because there isn't enough spots on this team going forward...

I would seriously like Brennan back, forget best NHL d-man, are any of our other Dmen (NHL or AHL) capable of being the best AHL Dman?

Ekblad sounds like he would end up a Norris winner.

I'm so ****ing sick of the word "potential". We've had potential for 20 years. And Pavel Bure.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

Offensive D-man. Nothing special defensively, works hard, Jumps into the play, perhaps a bit to the detriment of the defense (though thats not all on him). Suspect he might need a bit of AHL time before he is NHL-ready but I am not a coach/trainer.

Decent numbers this season:

Reg Season: 12G/47A
Playoffs (3rd round, 15 GP): 5G/22A
+/- 56/3(Reg Season/Playoffs)

CHL, Halifax Mooseheads actually. Which is how I know him. Watched pretty much every home game this year and quite a few last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: