Panther Parkway Radio: Jeff Marek Talks Weegar, Ekblad, Free Agency, Draft Day

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
All right, lets get this thread exciting.

Who would trade our #1 for Ovi straight up??? and lets not argue whether they would make the deal.

And we assume his contract as is.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate. We'd increase our goals score by 50% , the power play would transform immediately, season ticket sales would skyrocket.
I don't care about all the gossipy crap team player etc nor the meaningless +-. That's just me.

Interesting thought. I'm sure Ovi wouldn't mind the beaches here.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Who would trade our #1 for Ovi straight up??? and lets not argue whether they would make the deal.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate. We'd increase our goals score by 50% , the power play would transform immediately, season ticket sales would skyrocket.
I don't care about all the gossipy crap team player etc nor the meaningless +-. That's just me.

Hah, good one.

I don't think you could pass on that deal, even though the guy doesn't know where the defensive zone is. Just the superstar status and attention the organization would get would be a big boost. On top off all the offensive talent.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Hah, good one.

I don't think you could pass on that deal, even though the guy doesn't know where the defensive zone is. Just the superstar status and attention the organization would get would be a big boost. On top off all the offensive talent.

barkov+ovechkin

make it happend

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The moment after the papers get signed by both parties, Ovechkin will trip, fall and break his femur or something.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

My most dear poster…the question is who the **** would trade OV for our #1?????

Yeah, I'll give Barkov or Huber and Kuli and our number 1 for a best player in the world.

Jan 19, 2006
I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel that acquiring Pavel Bure was a huge mistake that put this franchise into a downward spiral.

It signaled a change in philosophy : less focus on winning, more focus on marketing.

Please don't make the same mistake again.

I love Ovechkin's talent, but like Bure adding him means you make him the focal point of your team.

A team with Ovechkin as it's focal point will always break your heart.

It would make for an exciting regular season, AG, but we've been patient this long... why screw it up now?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel that acquiring Pavel Bure was a huge mistake that put this franchise into a downward spiral.

It signaled a change in philosophy : less focus on winning, more focus on marketing.

Please don't make the same mistake again.

I love Ovechkin's talent, but like Bure adding him means you make him the focal point of your team.

A team with Ovechkin as it's focal point will always break your heart.

It would make for an exciting regular season, AG, but we've been patient this long... why screw it up now?

What did trading Bure give us though ATF? 10 years of no reason to attend.

I completely respect your opinion of anti O, and your not alone.

I just have to believe he would be the one player that IMMEDIATELY makes us a playoff team; curing our power play cancer, lack of scoring in one fell swoop.

Id take the risk in a heartbeat.

And if Im wrong won't be the first time...

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Pavel Bure made a lot of young Florida natives learn to love the game of hockey. If that means anything. Growing up, most of my hockey friends from here remember two things about hockey in Florida; the 96 Panthers and Pavel Bure.

Jan 19, 2006
What did trading Bure give us though ATF? 10 years of no reason to attend.

I completely respect your opinion of anti O, and your not alone.

I just have to believe he would be the one player that IMMEDIATELY makes us a playoff team; curing our power play cancer, lack of scoring in one fell swoop.

Id take the risk in a heartbeat.

And if Im wrong won't be the first time...

Trading Bure wasn't the problem - it was WHY they traded Bure.

It wasn't a hockey move - it was a cost cutting one.

Acquiring Bure would have been fine if it was a hockey move and they had built a proper team around him, but I would say with little doubt that it was a PR one.

Listen, I'm the same guy who gave up on the Rangers when they acquired Gretzky so I have a history of not liking those kind of moves.

Don't get me wrong - I would be excited to see a Barkov-Ovechkin pairing, but I think what it would cost would make the Panthers a worse team in the long run.

I also thing it's important to set a team identity - something the Panthers have sorely lacked in the past (unless you consider "crappy" as a team identity). I just don't want the team identity to be based on one guy. This isn't the NBA - that model doesn't work in hockey.

I'm with you on one thing - it is a lot more fun to think about that than reminisce on this past season... :help:

Jan 19, 2006
Pavel Bure made a lot of young Florida natives learn to love the game of hockey. If that means anything. Growing up, most of my hockey friends from here remember two things about hockey in Florida; the 96 Panthers and Pavel Bure.

There really isn't anything else to remember... what else is there - the glorious Sean Hill era?

Bure was fun to watch, but he masked the fact that there was no effort being made to build a hockey organization behind his facade. Were the Panthers focusing on drafting and developing players - spending money on scouting and coaching? Were they acquiring high quality free agents to surround Bure?

Or were they just promoting Bure and hoping the rocket would be enough to fill seats?

The moment it became clear that Pavel Bure and the 19 dwarfs could not turn a profit, they dumped him. Once he was gone and the facade lifted, what else was there?

Nada.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
We've come to expect the unexpected from Tallon.

In a way, I would be surprised if he kept the pick and drafted Ekblad simply because that's what we expect him to do.

He also said in his last presser that he is more willing to trade the pick than before because there are a lot of prospects in the pipeline already.

Anything is possible really, pretty fun actually to see how things unfold.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Personally I have the start of the "dark ages" with trading Mellanby. Never should've happened. Mellanby should've retired a Panther.

On an unrelated note I'm gonna spam everyone in the org's email accounts to make Mellanby AGM. #BRINGHIMHOME

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Haven't seen anyone comment on Marek's idea to bring Ray Whitney back for a year ... sounds crazy, but he was really into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad