Panther Parkway Radio: Jeff Marek Talks Weegar, Ekblad, Free Agency, Draft Day

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The annoying part is that I have seen Ekblad play extensively. Here in Canada we have a ton of television coverage of the CHL, and the Barrie Colts are one of the most popular teams in the OHL. It's unfair of her to make snap judgments like that.

Ekblad is the real deal. I cannot believe how many people around here are open to trading the pick. You really wanna draft ANOTHER forward? We have a complete log jam up front. Our defense is ****ing atrocious. Our offense stinks because our defense stinks. I'm sorry. You can't have much of an attack if none of your d-man can complete an outlet pass. Ekblad has a strong first pass, is a good skater, hits, plays tough, has an absolute bomb for a shot and is a big, BIG kid.

Bringing up Kulikov or Ellerby is so asinine. None of them were ever touted to be what Ekblad is touted to be. Jay Bouwmeester was drafted top-3 and he's a great NHL defenseman. Bouwmeester on this team would make us a lot better, no?

Trading this pick would be a mistake. We're not just going to get Eberle as a throw in. If we want one of Edmonton's best scorers, we're going to need to give up something significant. Howden, Shore, Trocheck, none of them are "significant". They haven't proven anything yet. Eberle is a proven goal scorer in this league at the old age of 24. To get him, Bjugstad or Huberdeau will most likely have to be included. Edmonton won't give up Eberle for an AHL prospect just to move up 2 spots. Some of you are flat out insane for thinking this is even a realistic possibility. Eberle is better than ANY forward on this team right now. Sure Barkov, Bjugstad and Hubs are important to the long-term success of the team, but right now, none of them are better than Jordan Eberle.

Nothing we get with the moved pick will be a return that any of us will be happy with. Thankfully Tallon isn't a nuts and a guy like Ekblad is right up his alley. I really do not see him passing up an opportunity to draft a future #1 defenseman, especially when there is not a single forward who is the clear cut number 1, and the future of our defense is still very much up in the air.

Also, the fact that "he helps us next year/doesn't help us next year" is such a pointless argument. How about we stop rushing kids and just let them play another year in junior? Whether or not the prospect can play on the big club following the draft SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NEVER DETERMINE WHO YOU PICK.

Would you say that Ekblad is a man playing against boys? Meaning he's more physically mature than the majority of the players in the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: