Panarin to meet with Avs

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Can't imagine the "meeting" will last long after Sakic offers him $4M - $5M less aav than Florida does.

And a hotplate!

George_Plimpton_Hotplate.png

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I fall somewhere in the middle in this argument. I'm all for "pay the player what he is worth" but if you try to get every cents you can get out of me then don't come to me later on if I have major problems putting together a SC contender. If your prerogative is money then fine it is your right. There is nothing wrong to wanting to be paid what you deserve but you also must realize that it might affect your chance to win a SC as well.

And let's not forget that the smaller guys also deserve to be paid what they are worth. I know that if I would be a bottom-6 player I would not be very happy with guys like Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and especially Marner. They would not only be taking money away from me but they also would be taking away a shot at the SC away from me as well.

We all have different values. As a top player my priority would be winning the SC and I would try to do my part towards that but let me tell you that in the process I would be keeping the team accountable when handing out stupid contracts like Zaitsev's. The little money I would leave on the table to help building a "winner" better be use smartly.

With the cap rising faster than star salaries & the huge amounts of unused capspace around the league each season; the lessers stars and the good complementary guys also benefit from the elite raising the upper limit in this situation. Bottom 6ers may see less growth than they've enjoyed since the cap's introduction, but they've been booming for a decade now & they may not actually end up getting squeezed. The pie is growing and there's already unclaimed pie to be distributed.

Like I said in the other thread, personally, I completely get why a player would take less than the absolute max they can get...but I can't get the vitriol spewed at guys who don't make that decision. Not with how ruthless NHL teams are, how short these guys' earning-windows are, how often NHLers already take less than they could possibly get, and not with the figures that we're talking about.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If there is a meeting, I don’t think Sakic would have the meeting just to lowball him. Sakic knows are aware that salaries are increasing.

That said, I think the meeting would be to get more money out of the Panthers and he’ll sign there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Signing Tavares was a dumb move by Dumbas. Overpaid and forced the over pay of Matthews and Nylsnder and now Marner

This, if that jackass hadn't pulled that off, we could've signed JT and then we'd be the ones with a cup not smelly STL :scared:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Stone got $9.5M a few months ago. What does Panarin want? I think Stone is better, but I can see why some prefer Panarin.

I might be way off but I’d expect hardly anyone actually preferred Panarin over Stone 6 months ago. The reality is, Panarin at 12+ is the only (maybe) option now.

Not so much a consolation prize but not the first choice either.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
The question is, what is the number that gets Florida to back out of the race? They want both him and Bob, but I think they want Bob more.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The question is, what is the number that gets Florida to back out of the race? They want both him and Bob, but I think they want Bob more.

Correct. I think they’ll top out around $11m for Panarin, which means we’ll have to be in the $12.5-13m range to get a serious look.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

They have 20 million in cap space with, if I remember correctly, 12 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. They’re trying to drop Rimers contract at 3+ million.

If Bob cost them 9/10 million I think we might be able to outbid Florida even with their no state income tax. But I still think Panarin just flat out wants to be in Florida.

Reactions: AvsWraith

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
They have 20 million in cap space with, if I remember correctly, 12 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. They’re trying to drop Rimers contract at 3+ million.

If Bob cost them 9/10 million I think we might be able to outbid Florida even with their no state income tax. But I still think Panarin just flat out wants to be in Florida.

Probably. That sucks though, because they have like 4 fans, and are no where near the kind of window we have open right now. He could make a real difference for us.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It would be a pretty big thing to be wrong about. All another reporter has to do is ask how the meeting went, the next time they have an avail and Dater would lose a ton more credibility if sakic says they never met.

Trade rumours are another thing, because GM’s want to deny reports, so they don’t offend the player.

Dater has his flaws, but he's not gonna make something like this up. He likely heard they were meeting from someone credible in the Avs organization. Doesn't mean he'll sign but it's a positive sign they're meeting.

Dater also told us that Barrie to Vancouver was as good as done.

Take anything he says as nonsense until a legit insider or Bobby Mac backs his claim.

Everyone including Bobby Mac was claiming the Avs will make a big trade (Barrie) on draft day too.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
One game away from the western finals... and this guy could be the spark we need to jump start a second line.

I know it's not going to happen, but please make it happen.

They were one game away from missing the playoffs two years ago.

And a dogfight with the Coyotes until the last few days.

One bad injury and they could easily be fighting down the wire for the 8th spot again.

Reactions: Y3TI and cgf

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Yes, Sakic should offer a maximum term contract for 12m. Maybe also pay him sooner similar to when John Tavares signed with Toronto. Maybe work around bonuses.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Florida has the beaches, shorter flights back to Russia and the Q factor. We have no shot but I would love to be wrong on this one.

Only way I see any reason for him to sign here is if he thinks we are a legitimate contender and he wants to win. And of course if he has some kind of burning desire to play with Mackinnon. Other than that, I am skeptical of our chances but it'll be fun to hear when we we're one of the 2 runner ups!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
did Panarin already signed with Florida? appeared in a Cats uniform greeting their fans and all? no? then I can still dream. we will soon discover he was a big Kamensky fan so he will sign with Avs. under the Mackinnon cap even! next cup is ours already. :dd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad