Panarin to meet with Avs

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
But Tavares had no impact on their own core. Their cap problems are 100% tied to overpaying supporting pieces, not for paying their core what they're worth. Blaming Tavares for Toronto's cap problems is as silly as blaming McDavid & Drae for Edmonton's.

And obviously because I pretended to be a good boy long enough to sucker someone with power, as per uje
Pretty sure we had a similar discussion before. We will never see eye-to-eye when it comes to salaries and who deserves which contract.

My point is: You better take a good look at your own talent and what it might cost 2-3 years down the road before you bring in a star player like Tavares/Panarin and their salaries or it might come back and bite you in the ass.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah I'm gonna on put more faith in Portzline on this one. If the Avs even have a phone call with the Avs it's gonna be negotiation fodder for wherever he actually signs.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Must not get any hopes up...reminds me when our named popped up with Tavares last year. We were never in it, just merely a distraction.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pretty sure we had a similar discussion before. We will never see eye-to-eye when it comes to salaries and who deserves which contract.

My point is: You better take a good look at your own talent and what it might cost 2-3 years down the road before you bring in a star player like Tavares/Panarin and their salaries or it might come back and bite you in the ass.

That's very possible, as it does often irk me when people try to blame stars for cap problems created by FOs overpaying depth players.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't believe it for a second. This is Dater trying to get hits and Subs for his new site, nothing more.

I'd be shocked if the Avs meet with Panarin.

It would be a pretty big thing to be wrong about. All another reporter has to do is ask how the meeting went, the next time they have an avail and Dater would lose a ton more credibility if sakic says they never met.

Trade rumours are another thing, because GM’s want to deny reports, so they don’t offend the player.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
That's very possible, as it does often irk me when people try to blame stars for cap problems created by FOs overpaying depth players.
And it always irks me when ppl don't get that hockey is still a team sport, teams have to pay at least 20 players and the NHL has a (more or less) hard cap. And then i see Toronto and it feels like that EVERY DAMN PLAYER is trying to squeeze every last penny out of the organisation very well knowing that this will effect the depth of the team and their chances to actually win something. But hey, they got a million more so screw the team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m sure he’ll meet with the Avs. I bet they’ll be somewhere from 3-6 on his list of preferred destinations by the time it’s said and done. Doubt they sign him.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And it always irks me when ppl don't get that hockey is still a team sport, teams have to pay at least 20 players and the NHL has a (more or less) hard cap. And then i see Toronto and it feels like that EVERY DAMN PLAYER is trying to squeeze every last penny out of the organisation very well knowing that this will effect the depth of the team and their chances to actually win something. But hey, they got a million more so screw the team.

It's a team sport...where no team has won the cup without stars :dunno:

And then you remember the miniscule earning window that these guys have compared to most other professions, and it becomes truly shocking just how much more often they give their employers discounts than do the fans that gripe about the greed of professional athletes...especially when we remember that these guys are risking their brains for our amusement.

But hey, who cares whether these guys can remember their children's names when they stop entertaining us?

Reactions: Y3TI and Ivan13

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah I'm gonna on put more faith in Portzline on this one. If the Avs even have a phone call with the Avs it's gonna be negotiation fodder for wherever he actually signs.

In terms of the actual tweets. Dater is reporting a fact about the Avs setting up a meeting with a player, while Portzline is reporting speculation and his opinion that he doesn’t think he will sign with Colorado.

Which is probably true, but here’s hoping he’s wrong haha

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
It's a team sport...where no team has won the cup without stars :dunno:

And then you remember the miniscule earning window that these guys have compared to most other professions, and it becomes truly shocking just how much more often they give their employers discounts than do the fans that gripe about the greed of professional athletes...especially when we remember that these guys are risking their brains for our amusement.

But hey, who cares whether these guys can remember their children's names when they stop entertaining us?
Npbody is forcing those guys to play hockey. And they usually get paid very well "to entertain" us. And no, they are not stuntmen who actually risk their lives when they entertain us, they just play hockey.

Again, we are not seeing eye-to-eye - so i stop now. In both threads.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Npbody is forcing those guys to play hockey. And they usually get paid very well "to entertain" us. And no, they are not stuntmen who actually risk their lives when they entertain us, they just play hockey.

Again, we are not seeing eye-to-eye - so i stop now. In both threads.

They get paid well because their skills are valuable & their profession is dangerous. ECHLers are professional entertainers too, but they make less than the median accountant because their skills don't warrant NHL salaries.

Instead of just backing out of the discussion can you make an argument that is more than a naked appeal to jealousy?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I fall somewhere in the middle in this argument. I'm all for "pay the player what he is worth" but if you try to get every cents you can get out of me then don't come to me later on if I have major problems putting together a SC contender. If your prerogative is money then fine it is your right. There is nothing wrong to wanting to be paid what you deserve but you also must realize that it might affect your chance to win a SC as well.

And let's not forget that the smaller guys also deserve to be paid what they are worth. I know that if I would be a bottom-6 player I would not be very happy with guys like Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and especially Marner. They would not only be taking money away from me but they also would be taking away a shot at the SC away from me as well.

We all have different values. As a top player my priority would be winning the SC and I would try to do my part towards that but let me tell you that in the process I would be keeping the team accountable when handing out stupid contracts like Zaitsev's. The little money I would leave on the table to help building a "winner" better be use smartly.

Reactions: cgf

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Signing Tavares was a dumb move by Dumbas. Overpaid and forced the over pay of Matthews and Nylsnder and now Marner

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Panarin’s starting with the Panthers to see what they’ll pay him, then go around FA circuit to drive his price up, then eventually go back to Panthers and get close to his highest offer before signing with them.

The sooner we realize and accept that’s reality, the better off we’ll be. I want to move on the other big 4 (Pavs, Zucc, Lee and Nyquist), and hopefully we can get 2 of those guys at a decent price while others are still getting dicked around by Panarin.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know this is a pipe dream. We don't get nice things here in Colorado anymore, unless they get drafted or traded here and are forced to be here.

I don't understand why it's so hard for the Avs to get the attention of big names these days. I mean they have one of the best selling points in the league. All they need to say is we can match pretty much any offer plus you can play with MacK for the next 7 years and look really good doing it.

Anyways go enjoy Florida where you'll never win and you only have like 10 fans show up every night.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Lol Dater reporting “Avs to meet with Panarin, literally any time during the FA negotiating window (who knows when?! Click here to not find out!)”.

Other fanbases treating it like it was anything more than a complete stab in the dark and then laughing about it when it’s a complete stab in the dark.

:facepalm:

Dater making us all look like idiots by association.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Stone got $9.5M a few months ago. What does Panarin want? I think Stone is better, but I can see why some prefer Panarin.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
One game away from the western finals... and this guy could be the spark we need to jump start a second line.

I know it's not going to happen, but please make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad