Panarin and Radulov dominating the NHL

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Looking at 5v5: Natural Stattrick has him at 83.93 offensive zone start % (highest amongst all players with more than 100 mins). Source: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...score=all&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=100

Puckalytics has Panarin at 9.57% defensive zone starts at 5v5 (lowest % in amongst players with more than 50 mins ice time). Source: https://puckalytics.com/#/skaters?T...alse&dzs=true&orderby=DZFOPct&sortorder=false

I can't open the second link, but checked that first one and it's completly wrong.It looks like there are incomplete stats.Just look at TOI, Natural Statrick has 203 minutes, StatsHockeyAnalysis has 276 minutes and NHL.com has 276 minutes too.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=7&type=corsi&sort=OZPCT&sortdir=DESC

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I can't open the second link, but checked that first one and it's completly wrong.It looks like there are incomplete stats.Just look at TOI, Natural Statrick has 203 minutes, StatsHockeyAnalysis has 276 minutes and NHL.com has 276 minutes too.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=7&type=corsi&sort=OZPCT&sortdir=DESC

5v5, Panarin's had 93 offensive zone starts and 18 defensive zone starts. He has 42.47% of his team's offensive zone starts and 9.18% of his team's defensive zone starts.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Even still, if we limit it to stat.hockeyanalyis, they have Panarin at 7.5% defensive zone start, that's the lowest across the entire NHL by a large margin (next closest is Ladd at 13.2%).

Doesn't help the argument, reality is Panarin the most sheltered player in the NHL.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Radulov is absolutely dominating. Forsberg was statistically inferior to players like Turgeon and Oates but no one will argue that he was less dominant then them when on his game. Lindros too. You can be playing a dominant game and not be rewarded with insane numbers or you can coast to 60 points on Tavares's wing. You can put up 10 high quality shots in a game while being impossible to strip of the puck and end up scoreless or you can have every shot go in like in the Montreal-Columbus game. Radulov is ridiculous at hounding the puck, opening up space and creating stuff out of nothing right now that his linemates weren't converting for ****.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
"Panarin is only the 3rd best forward on his own team"

"Panarin is stitched to Kane's hip"

Just a few examples from this thread of the continued lack of recognition/credit Panarin deserves for being a truly elite player like he is. He's a 75-85ish pt per season caliber winger, if not better. Doesn't need to play with Kane(as seen early so far this season), and he's not going to slow down any time soon either.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
You are a funny guy. You haven't picked apart anything. He is not THE guy on your team, nor will he be one on any other team. He wasnt't one for you last year, he will not be one this year (you write he is 2nd best offensively, nice straw man argument, lets forget Toews and that this thread is not about pure offensive output) so he is a very good complimentary player. We are talking about being dominant. Panarin is not dominant in any sense of the word.

Be honest, how many Hawks games have you watched since Panarin's arrival? Doesn't sound like many. "Very good complimentary player" my ass. Guy definitely has dominant/allstar/elite caliber talent. Trying to define it as the ability to be "the guy" is silly. Who knows, maybe on any given team he just might. Not his fault his current team also happens to have 3 future HOFs playing with him at forward.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Panarin was overlooked by scouts probably because his size, Radulov was nothing new to the NHL Hawks were lucky to find that rare gem but it doesn't mean that KHL is full of Panarins, it's more like rare exception, that they didn't notice him earlier.I am pretty sure that especially top teams like Chicago with low draft picks and cap room problems have enough scouts in Europe and in Russia watching carefully.

Gusev is another Panarin. Barabanov isn't as flashy (still flashy enough), but way more gritty. Tkachev (Ak Bars one) great hands and two-way play. Shumakov is a magician with the puck. Kaprizov is 19 year old and is already one of the best, but he's a Wilds' top prospect, so doesn't probably count. There are some younger guys, who'll be very good in a while.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I didn't realize Anisimov was THAT great. Or maybe you are referring to Hossa, I don't know.

C'mon man, didn't you know? Panarin wouldn't be top 20 in scoring if not for Kane......

....even though they haven't been on the same line aside from maybe a game or 2....

But yeah, obviously we can't go that route because there goes their entire argument. :shakehead

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Radulov is a good playmaker and ****ing hard to knock off the puck

But he has 1 goal in 13 games... 2 empty net..

He has yet to show some scoring abilities

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Radulov is an atypical case. He was always considered to be NHL quality. He simply chose to play in the KHL.

There will always be interest to find talent from the KHL. It wasn't new with panarin, and it doesnt seem it will stop with guys like shipachev on some team's radar.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't really think it's news to anyone that Radulov's pretty good. Everyone always knew that. Problem with him was that his financial demands were always outlandish and his behavior unpredictable.

I mean, in the event that Ilya Kovalchuk was reinstated and he wanted to sign the same deal as Radulov, he'd find a taker, instantly.

With Panarin, teams have long been happy to take fliers on question mark KHL scorers looking to cross the Atlantic. Panarin just happens to be the guy who was really, really good. But for every 1 of him, there's 25 or 30 of Sergei Plotnikov or Steve Moses.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't really think it's news to anyone that Radulov's pretty good. Everyone always knew that. Problem with him was that his financial demands were always outlandish and his behavior unpredictable.

I mean, in the event that Ilya Kovalchuk was reinstated and he wanted to sign the same deal as Radulov, he'd find a taker, instantly.

With Panarin, teams have long been happy to take fliers on question mark KHL scorers looking to cross the Atlantic. Panarin just happens to be the guy who was really, really good. But for every 1 of him, there's 25 or 30 of Sergei Plotnikov or Steve Moses.

Yeah, for every Kane there is a couple of dozens Abdelkaders.

member 256847

Radulov is a good playmaker and ****ing hard to knock off the puck

But he has 1 goal in 13 games... 2 empty net..

He has yet to show some scoring abilities

He's an amazing playmaker however, which is a great match to his goalscoring type center Galchenyuk.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Will it make teams re-think into signing KHL stars? Basically, the top KHL stars have proven that they can become top NHL stars with no "adjustment phase" whatsoever. I think teams were hesitant to sign Radulov in question of how good the KHL is and now regret their decision. You see guys earning the same amount of money as Radulov with much longer terms who are playing poorly right now.

I think the top teams of the future are those that are going to poach the top stars from the KHL. Yearly, KHL Free agents must be analyzed by fans just as importantly as NHL free agents. It's a different time compared to when the NHL was the only professional league that had all of the star talent.

You're completely right sir, since the changes of the play in NHL has been so drastic into a soft league, why not sign the top technical players from Europe (who plays in the KHL because that is where the money is at).

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Radulov was a great solid player back in Nashville and he was good enough to make a difference, now he has mature a lot more and he is stronger than ever. let's hope he keeps it up and keeps being a great leader for this team ( did not expect him to have such impact on the players)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, he is not. He is on a line with someone who is dominating the league. A star player whose point totals are on career highs as he is playing with one of, if not the best offensive forward in the league who he coincidentally has great chemistry with as well.

Kane would be challenging for the league lead without Panarin. Panarin would be struggling to put up top 20 point totals without Kane. That is the difference. Kind of like when Backstrom's point totals tailed off a little when OV's did.

Do you even watch games? Considering the Hawks played your Blues just two nights ago, and one night before you made this post, I would imagine you would have realized that Panarin is NOT playing on a line with Kane, and hasn't other than the first couple games of the season. He's playing on a line with Anisimov and Hossa. And guess what? He's putting up top 20 points totals(top 10 actually :laugh:).

You might want to have some sort of clue what you're talking about before you go spouting off incorrect information... :shakehead

You know what's even funnier? Anisimov is on a career high points pace. He's 3rd in the league. Playing with Panarin on a line pretty much exclusively. Who is 10th in the league in points, himself. But I bet you believe Panarin was a product of Kane last year, right?? Or do I have that stupid narrative wrong? Don't think I do. Some(all) might argue that Panarin is elevating Anisimov's game, would they not?

Go watch a game once in a while instead of posting on here. It might help.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russian and CHI fans can raise whatever argument they want, but old man Panarin faces the most sheltered minutes and lowest defensive zone start % out of every player in the NHL.

Fact: Panarin is the most sheltered player in the NHL, travesty he won the Calder.

Akhurite

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto,ON
All I see when I read most of these posts are "I haven't watched Radulov play yet"

If you really wanna rely on stats here, all 9 of his assists have been primary. Thats ridiculous, also he played with Plekanec and Lekhonen for most of the season so far. Watch his statline now that he's with Galchenyuk

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
All I see when I read most of these posts are "I haven't watched Radulov play yet"

If you really wanna rely on stats here, all 9 of his assists have been primary. Thats ridiculous, also he played with Plekanec and Lekhonen for most of the season so far. Watch his statline now that he's with Galchenyuk

It's true. Any opinion that is even somewhat contrary to the standard line from a habs fan means we haven't watched any habs games.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Russian and CHI fans can raise whatever argument they want, but old man Panarin faces the most sheltered minutes and lowest defensive zone start % out of every player in the NHL.

Fact: Panarin is the most sheltered player in the NHL, travesty he won the Calder.

What's your point?

He's not asked to be a defensive player, despite being pretty damn good defensively. He's asked to score points, which is why he has a high 5v5 ZS%. He plays on a line with Anisimov and Hossa, two guys who carry the load defensively. So... I'm failing to see why it matters that he has a high 5v5 ZS%. I do believe the whole point of teams playing games is to win, right? And... I do believe you win by scoring points, right? So doesn't it make sense to start one of your highest point producing players in the offensive zone as much as possible? You know... the place where he can score points? :shakehead

And not to burst your bubble... but he was the best rookie in the NHL, by the NHL's definition of a rookie. How is this still even a thing? Mad your boy Connor didn't get it for half a season on the ice? I think so... :cry:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What's your point?

He's not asked to be a defensive player, despite being pretty damn good defensively. He's asked to score points, which is why he has a high 5v5 ZS%. He plays on a line with Anisimov and Hossa, two guys who carry the load defensively. So... I'm failing to see why it matters that he has a high 5v5 ZS%. I do believe the whole point of teams playing games is to win, right? And... I do believe you win by scoring points, right? So doesn't it make sense to start one of your highest point producing players in the offensive zone as much as possible? You know... the place where he can score points? :shakehead

And not to burst your bubble... but he was the best rookie in the NHL, by the NHL's definition of a rookie. How is this still even a thing? Mad your boy Connor didn't get it for half a season on the ice? I think so... :cry:

Funny you say that, I actually had Ghost for the Calder. Check my posts on the record.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Funny you say that, I actually had Ghost for the Calder. Check my posts on the record.

That's fine. I assumed because of your avatar that you were an Oilers fan, and angry that McDavid didn't win it, which was incorrect. I think all 3 of them could have won it. I'm not a total homer that won't admit that McDavid, if he plays even just 10 or 15 more games, likely wins it. And Ghost could have won it as well. It was a damn close race, IMO.

The rest of my previous post still stands, though.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

How's that a problem? The 2nd best case was a player just a year and a half younger who played defense with a strongly high up offensive zone % up in the high 60s as well in Gostisbehere.

Not like he was some 18-19 year old equally preforming up and down the ice.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That's fine. I assumed because of your avatar that you were an Oilers fan, and angry that McDavid didn't win it, which was incorrect. I think all 3 of them could have won it. I'm not a total homer that won't admit that McDavid, if he plays even just 10 or 15 more games, likely wins it. And Ghost could have won it as well. It was a damn close race, IMO.

The rest of my previous post still stands, though.

I am an Oilers fan. McDavid is by far the best player I've seen live (not a child, seen Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby and Ovi live). Ghost had my vote because of the time McDavid missed.

McDavid should have won, but I'll take his humble lead and not make a scene. I don't care, he's the most talented player I've ever seen with my own eyes, he's that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad