WWE: Paige suspended for second wellness violation

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, just not a WWE approved doctor.

:laugh: Is this a serious thing? I understand for concussions if WWE wants to go ahead and get their doctor to finally clear them, but ALL MED?! That's insane. These guys are independent contractors. WWE isn't even paying their health insurance, are they? If they want to go to their doctor, who they feel comfortable with, and be prescribed medicine, then it should be allowed.

That is quite shocking if you couldn't do that. But before I have a say in it one way or another, I'd love to have both arguments and what is/isn't allowed.

But man WWE just sucks. Their culture is the freaking worst. It's so old school. Fayol's principles of management type garbage from back in the day. Thou must obey!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
:laugh: Is this a serious thing? I understand for concussions if WWE wants to go ahead and get their doctor to finally clear them, but ALL MED?! That's insane. These guys are independent contractors. WWE isn't even paying their health insurance, are they? If they want to go to their doctor, who they feel comfortable with, and be prescribed medicine, then it should be allowed.

That is quite shocking if you couldn't do that. But before I have a say in it one way or another, I'd love to have both arguments and what is/isn't allowed.

But man WWE just sucks. Their culture is the freaking worst. It's so old school. Fayol's principles of management type garbage from back in the day. Thou must obey!

I actually get it from WWE's view in this regard.

I can go to my doctor and ask for a prescription for painkillers because I have back pain and I'll get it without any further testing. My doctor won't know if I actually need it, they'll rely on me to tell the truth about what I feel, the pain I feel, etc. and give me what I want/need based off what I tell them while also prescribing physical therapy. It's the same thing with wrestlers.

This is all because of that 2007 steroid scandal where wrestlers were having outside doctors write ******** prescriptions so they can get steroids and other drugs. Now, there is no loophole and no ******** way to get prescriptions. You have to go to the WWE's doctor, and they'll decide if you have a legitimate use for the drugs you seek a prescription for. They'll write it out, it'll be sent to the WWE, and the company will know that you NEED this prescription.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Is my interpretation wrong stating that she has pain killers but was not prescribed them? That's how I interpret that. If so, then you get what you deserve. :laugh:

I read this as she went home to the UK at some point and saw a doctor (her parents FB posts) and was prescribed some type of painkiller. I say prescribed because of this . . .

My guess is that to be in compliance with WWE wellness policy, any prescription must be issued by a WWE approved physician and the WWE must be advised when said prescription is made.

In this case, my guess is the doctor isn't WWE approved and the prescription was never revealed.

When she failed the test, she showed the prescription (the referenced note in her tweet).

Technically, it's a violation. One which the WWE will enforce or not enforce depending upon current status in the company (the other tweet).

Didn't see that someone noted what I just wrote earlier. :laugh:

To answer this 'is it serious question', it is depending upon your current status as noted above. My guess is that if this were two years ago, she doesn't get the second suspension, just a really stern warning.

IMO, she wrestles her next match for Billy Corgan, not Vince McMahon. A shame really. Partially on her but more so on WWE for wasting the talent. Won't be the first time or the last.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) MCG - you can get a basic pain killer that way. You cannot get pain killers that easy. Doctors don't just pass 'em out like they are candy. Maybe they'll prescribe lower dosages, but nothing that we are probably talking here to show up on a test.

That takes exams/referrals/etc. in regards to why it is being prescribed. If a doctor can supply a reason for it, it should be valid to a WWE doctor.

2) Personally I don't like the idea that WWE's doctor has the final say. Second opinions, 3rd party providers, something of that nature has to be allowed eventually. Sure, we want to protect the talent from overdosing and what not, but the WWE doctor is not the holy grail of doctors. There are so many specialties anymore, I can't imagine this guy having his head wrapped around every single thing.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
1) MCG - you can get a basic pain killer that way. You cannot get pain killers that easy. Doctors don't just pass 'em out like they are candy. Maybe they'll prescribe lower dosages, but nothing that we are probably talking here to show up on a test.

That takes exams/referrals/etc. in regards to why it is being prescribed. If a doctor can supply a reason for it, it should be valid to a WWE doctor.

2) Personally I don't like the idea that WWE's doctor has the final say. Second opinions, 3rd party providers, something of that nature has to be allowed eventually. Sure, we want to protect the talent from overdosing and what not, but the WWE doctor is not the holy grail of doctors. There are so many specialties anymore, I can't imagine this guy having his head wrapped around every single thing.

This isn't like WWE sending their talents to one doctor for surgery and whatnot, I'm pretty confident they would have more than one physician approve prescriptions.

Like I said, this is done so you can't go get a ******** prescription. Sure, it's not THAT easy to just say "I need this", but when you're paid a lot of money, and if you find a doctor willing to do it, you can pay money to that doctor to get a prescription of stuff you don't need.

Again, this is all because of that 2007 steroid scandal where talents were getting prescriptions from outside physicians to get steroids.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I dunno...this seems kinda....witch hunty, no?

Two (failed) tests in a matter of months when she's not even active seems odd.

(granted I don't know how often they test usually)

Apparently her first wellness suspension was because she failed to produce a sample within 24 hours of being notified.

WWE calls you out of the blue and says "time for your drug test", and you have a day to get your test completed, but they only allow you to do it at specific labs. She claims she was far away from the nearest available lab when they called her and wasn't able to get there in time for whatever reason, so she was unable to produce a sample for them to test.

IIRC Hornswoggle said something similar happened to him with his wellness violation.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Considering the multitude of past issues with wrestlers self medicating and the bad results. I think it can be understood if the company wants more control over what is going into their performers bodies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Without getting into the 'are they right' debate, it's clear that WWE wants her gone. If they fire her, then they have to pay her. Three violations of the wellness policy, and she's gone for cause. Methinks if she asked again to be released from her contract, they'd say 'yes' this time.

The stuff with ADR has made things a mess, but I'm also guessing her injury and how the WWE dealt with it (having her wrestle and make her ****** up spine progressively worse before the 'oops') has undermined in her eyes how much WWE is looking out for her (it affects her 'buy in' when they preach her on ADR and other things).

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Sounds like they made a second surprise inspection while she was taking meds for her neck and obviously they gave no ****s and immediately suspended her again just to be vendictive.

Just leave and go the Indys paige. Spoiler brat or not WWE is a ****ing joke with the health of their superstars.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sounds like they made a second surprise inspection while she was taking meds for her neck and obviously they gave no ****s and immediately suspended her again just to be vendictive.

Just leave and go the Indys paige. Spoiler brat or not WWE is a ****ing joke with the health of their superstars.

She wanted to leave. She quit at one point but rescinded because she wouldn't be able to work until 2019. The only way she can get what she wants and continue to work in wrestling is if she's released. Only a 90-day no compete clause stands then and even in that case, she can still work on non-televised shows in most cases.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This is on both parties, but moreso WWE. She has a legitimate reason to be pissed off.
She's a talent, employed by them, and it's their job to make sure she is healthy and She could have had this neck issue for months and months and the WWE didn't do anything about it(OR simply didn't care enough to check)
Sure we still need more details, but WWE has a very very poor way about handling this kind of thing.

I really think that, if Paige had been brought up with the "Diva's Revolution"....she woulda been MUCH better off.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
She wanted to leave. She quit at one point but rescinded because she wouldn't be able to work until 2019. The only way she can get what she wants and continue to work in wrestling is if she's released. Only a 90-day no compete clause stands then and even in that case, she can still work on non-televised shows in most cases.

She has enough ammo where she could put up a case against WWE for what they tried to do to her, i'm sure her no-compete clause wasn't the only factor. Her girlfriends probably talked her down the ledge too.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Considering the multitude of past issues with wrestlers self medicating and the bad results. I think it can be understood if the company wants more control over what is going into their performers bodies.

Are they going to begin assigning dieticians to their independent contractors next?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Paige should have just went to the WWE doctors. They would have given her a z-pack for her pain and she would have been on her way.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Are they going to begin assigning dieticians to their independent contractors next?

I think they've done it a few times in the past, especially with some of the more rotund wrestlers.

IIRC they went to serious lengths to try to get Yokozuna to lose weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad