Proposal: Pageau and Duclair to the Oilers

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
I might be of on this but I still think that it would make sence for both teams. Pageau will probably get a conditional 1st and the Oilers will not deal this years 1st but next year could be in play. The proposal is:
Pageau and Duclair for 2nd in 2020, conditional 2021 2nd that turns in to first if Pageau resigns, Pulju, Russell and Khaira for cap.

Far off or fairish?

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I might be of on this but I still think that it would make sence for both teams. Pageau will probably get a conditional 1st and the Oilers will not deal this years 1st but next year could be in play. The proposal is:
Pageau and Duclair for 2nd in 2020, conditional 2021 2nd that turns in to first if Pageau resigns, Pulju, Russell and Khaira for cap.

Far off or fairish?
Terrible for Ottawa.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Far off or fairish?

Wow that is bad for Sens on so many fronts. Russel has another year and at 4 million for a third pairing guy. Nobody and I mean nobody is taking on that contract, plus it’s not like Eugene likes paying to get a pick. Kharia again has another year and has fall off a cliff. I know he is paid like a third or forth line scrub but he is pretty much useless.

Pageau is one of the most effective 3C available or on most teams. Duclair while he has cooled down considerably, playing on the wing or McJesus, Drai or RNH would do wonders. Sure they are both up for new contracts but a first is the min plus likely a second and Poolparty.

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Far off or fairish?

damn. Robbery. Sens can get way more then that I’d say.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Wow that is bad for Sens on so many fronts. Russel has another year and at 4 million for a third pairing nobody and mean nobody is taking on that contract, plus it’s not like Eugene likes paying to get a pick. Kharia again has another year and has fall off a cliff. I know he is paid like a third or forty line scrub but he is pretty much useless.

Pageau is one of the most effective 3C available or on most teams. Duclair while he has cooled down considerably playing on the wing or McJesus Drai or RNH would do wonders. Sure they are both up for new contracts but a first is the min plus likely a second and Poolparty.
Russell is owned 2.5 total amount of money next year, his cap is 4 mil. Typical Eugene contract for reaching the floor. Second first you say that it is bad and then you say that you would have to pay almost the same but for one player who in your mind would cost more than Hall or Stone. Unless you mean both and then you are proposing the exact same offer.
If you had read what I wrote I said that Pageau would not get a first clean. Therefore conditional 2nd that turns in to a 1st in 2021. Could be 1st in 2021, 2nd in 2020 and Puljujärvi. Then Russell and Khaira for cap. Russells contract is prefect for Eugene and Khaira he could later trade for a pick.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
damn. Robbery. Sens can get way more then that I’d say.
What could they get then? Just curious what you think. Another Oilersfan thinks this is overpay from Oilers point of view. Ottawa will get cap back in any trade.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wow that is bad for Sens on so many fronts. Russel has another year and at 4 million for a third pairing guy. Nobody and I mean nobody is taking on that contract, plus it’s not like Eugene likes paying to get a pick. Kharia again has another year and has fall off a cliff. I know he is paid like a third or forty line scrub but he is pretty much useless.

Pageau is one of the most effective 3C available or on most teams. Duclair while he has cooled down considerably playing on the wing or McJesus Drai or RNH would do wonders. Sure they are both up for new contracts but a first is the min plus likely a second and Poolparty.

Pageau is a rental who is 27 and will be looking for a big payday based on his first 40 games this year where he had 29 points in those 40 games playing as the team's #1C. Over his last 4 years prior to this his 82 game pace would be 14 goals and 20 assists for 34 points. Tack on 5 points since January and you have a UFA that would typically get you a second at best.

Duclair is a guy who we all know has talent. But he is on his 5th team and is notorious for disappearing for long stretches. So which Duclair is a team getting. The guy that had his best streak in his career between Dec 4 and Dec 21 where he scored 11 goals, or the guy who does not have a goal since. It's at least 50-50 that it is the latter and that guy does not get you a second.

Kris Russell is a solid bottom pairing defenseman who can play both sides and if necessary can be serviceable in the second pairing. His fancy stats are lousy but he gets the job done. Next year he could easily be the Sens third or fourth best defenseman and is only at $2.5M in real dollars for one more year. As cap dumps go he actually has positive value to a team like the Sens who collect contracts like his.

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
What could they get then? Just curious what you think. Another Oilersfan thinks this is overpay from Oilers point of view. Ottawa will get cap back in any trade.

Oilers fan would be mad at this? Ha!!! That’s fans for u. I’m not a fan of either team so I have no steak in this.

Duclair Is only 24 and an rfa. There is almost no reason for the sens to trade him. Especially not for a second round draft pick. He is still under their control. He also already scored 20+ goals this year. It just makes no sense. For a rebuilding team to move a player like this for a second

Pageau is a ufa. So a pure rental for another team. But if I’m the sens I want to resign him. If he isn’t interested then I’d move him. I really do think he will get a first from a contender. He is a very good 200 foot player. A little small. But makes up for it with his giant heart. He is also starting to show a lot of offensive upside with netting 20+ so far this season.

Pulju, Russell and Khaira These three are salary dumps. Why would the Ottawa senators want these three guys? Ottawa would probably get more draft picks just taking their money back. But I doubt sens have money to waste at this point in time.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Russell is owned 2.5 total amount of money next year, his cap is 4 mil. Typical Eugene contract for reaching the floor. Second first you say that it is bad and then you say that you would have to pay almost the same but for one player who in your mind would cost more than Hall or Stone. Unless you mean both and then you are proposing the exact same offer.
If you had read what I wrote I said that Pageau would not get a first clean. Therefore conditional 2nd that turns in to a 1st in 2021. Could be 1st in 2021, 2nd in 2020 and Puljujärvi. Then Russell and Khaira for cap. Russells contract is prefect for Eugene and Khaira he could later trade for a pick.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Why would they take Cap back in any trade? You are almost never required to when trading rentals and certainly not cap for next year without something coming just for taking that Cap. if Pageau gets traded this deadline it will be for something like a second that becomes a first if the team makes the conference finals plus a third.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Not really. If Pageau re-signs, a 1st + 2nd + Pulju is a solid return. I highly doubt Pageau will return a 1st by himself.

I wouldn't pay that price from the Oilers POV.
Just out of curiousity did you miss that Duclair was in the proposal aswell?
I belive that Eugene sees Russells contract as a positive in this deal, not a negative because of the salary that is remaining and the caphit for next year. Khaira is a throwin for the cap to work but Ottawa could trade him for a pick I belive. So in my mind it is conditional 2nd + Pulju for Pageau and 2nd+Russell+Khaira for Duclair.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Oilers fan would be mad at this? Ha!!! That’s fans for u. I’m not a fan of either team so I have no steak in this.

Duclair Is only 24 and an rfa. There is almost no reason for the sens to trade him. Especially not for a second round draft pick. He is still under their control. He also already scored 20+ goals this year. It just makes no sense. For a rebuilding team to move a player like this for a second

Pageau is a ufa. So a pure rental for another team. But if I’m the sens I want to resign him. If he isn’t interested then I’d move him. I really do think he will get a first from a contender. He is a very good 200 foot player. A little small. But makes up for it with his giant heart. He is also starting to show a lot of offensive upside with netting 20+ so far this season.

Pulju, Russell and Khaira These three are salary dumps. Why would the Ottawa senators want these three guys? Ottawa would probably get more draft picks just taking their money back. But I doubt sens have money to waste at this point in time.
To be fair I'm not sure if he missed Duclair in the proposal. Puljujärvi isn't a capdump since he doesn't even count against the cap. Russells contract feels like a Eugene contract to me. Higher caphit than salary.
On the capfront the only contenders that can take on rentals without some cap going the other way is Colorado. The rest need to send some salary back.

Reactions: Kegs

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Just out of curiousity did you miss that Duclair was in the proposal aswell?
I belive that Eugene sees Russells contract as a positive in this deal, not a negative because of the salary that is remaining and the caphit for next year. Khaira is a throwin for the cap to work but Ottawa could trade him for a pick I belive. So in my mind it is conditional 2nd + Pulju for Pageau and 2nd+Russell+Khaira for Duclair.
You would be wrong about Russells contract then. Sens wont have any trouble reaching the floor on their own next year and even if they do there will be an opportunity to trade for someone who it LTIRetired rather then have Russell take a spot.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
To be fair I'm not sure if he missed Duclair in the proposal. Puljujärvi isn't a capdump since he doesn't even count against the cap. Russells contract feels like a Eugene contract to me. Higher caphit than salary.
On the capfront the only contenders that can take on rentals without some cap going the other way is Colorado. The rest need to send some salary back.
Over half in the teams in the playoffs can fit Pageau for this year according to Cap Friendly

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
You would be wrong about Russells contract then. Sens wont have any trouble reaching the floor on their own next year and even if they do there will be an opportunity to trade for someone who it LTIRetired rather then have Russell take a spot.
You might be right but in my mind it is better to get a player that plays and that I can trade at the deadline for a pick or two next deadline. More value in that then just have a player on LTIR.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
You might be right but in my mind it is better to get a player that plays and that I can trade at the deadline for a pick or two next deadline. More value in that then just have a player on LTIR.
That thinking is also how you get Boedkers on your roster. Ottawa isnt going to help anyone with their cap issues without being properly compensated.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why will they get cap back? Melnyk is cheap. What if they only want picks and prospects?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Just because Shero is an idiot and traded Hall for next to nothing or what is perceived as not much doesn’t mean Dorian will. Shero was also fires shortly after.

We all know Pageau ain’t signing so making it a conditional 1st means nothing to Sens. He is still a hot commodity and if Ottawa eats half his salary he will get close to a first.

Duclair is worth a second IMO.

Regarding Russell, you have been trying to justify somebody taking him for three seasons now. Nobody wants him regardless of how much real money he is paid.

We all know what I think about Kharia and Poolparty is Magic beans right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Duclair
Pageau (50%)
Hainsey
Conditional 2nd (given if Puljuarvi hits 20 goals 0r 40 pts next year in the NHL)

for

Puljuarvi
Russell
Khaira
2nd (turns into 1st if Pageau is re-signed)
3rd (turns into 2nd if Duclair is qualified)
3rd (turns into 2nd if Hainsey is re-signed)

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Duclair
Pageau (50%)
Hainsey
Conditional 2nd (given if Puljuarvi hits 20 goals 0r 40 pts next year in the NHL)

for

Puljuarvi
Russell
Khaira
2nd (turns into 1st if Pageau is re-signed)
3rd (turns into 1st if Duclair is qualified)
3rd (turns into 2nd if Hainsey is re-signed)

Um, this is terrible for the Oilers, to be sure. I already disagree with OP about giving up a 1st for Pageau if he re-signs. And a 1st for Duclair? On what planet? I also wouldn’t give up a 3rd for Hainsey.

If the Oilers are giving up all these picks and Puljujarvi, I’m sure they could do a lot better elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad