Rumor: Pacioretty on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
And not getting any closer to some form of agreement.

Seller is selling a team-captain perennial 30 goals scorer on a sweet deal who simply is a victim of the Galchenyuk-Drouin failed experiment at C.

Buyer is seeing a 25 goals lw which they cant afford to sign long term at 7 mil + after next year and who does not particularly shines at clutch time.

And a whole lot of Matt Duchene talk.

Trades are hard i guess.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I said this in the Nash thread, and I'll say it again here: I think GMs are going to be very hesitant to give up 2018 1sts or top prospects at the TDL and they are going to wait and wait and wait until finally one of the many veteran wingers on the market is traded and sets the price for the others. I also think that price will end up being a lot lower than the initial asks for these guys.

Lol @ an asking price of value equivalient to 3 1sts. The market just isn't there this year IMO. Now more than ever GMs are seeing the value of youth and cheap ELCs...

Your chances of getting a guy in the draft who's scored as much as pacioretty the last five years (i.e. top 5) is close to nill.

He's on a ridiculous contract, the habs can retain both cap and salary, he's a lock for 35+ and close to 70 points on any semi competent team, he's great defensively, plays the PK, gets breakaways...

He's available for 2 playoff runs on top of having a salary structure of some 3rd liners, especially if the Habs retain. He makes every other winger better by taking pressure off, he himself would have less pressure on a team with offense.

So yes, he's worth a lot, more than the rest. Two late firsts at least is not a high asking price, it's a start.

Last edited:
Reactions: loadie

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It depends on the prospect.

You are not getting a Robert Thomas or a Sam Steel.

If not for the lockout, Pacioretty would have had 6 straight 30+ goal, 60 point seasons.

He is basically a veteran Filip Forsberg, who you could get at 2M. Yes, he's worth those two.

Reactions: Pierre Lebrun

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
If not for the lockout, Pacioretty would have had 6 straight 30+ goal, 60 point seasons.

He is basically a veteran Filip Forsberg, who you could get at 2M. Yes, he's worth those two.
Agreed. That is just typical overvalue of the unproven on HFboards. Sam Steel and Robert Thomas are not god like prospects... they are good prospects that will get you a good current player.

Reactions: Andrei79

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Too bad you are not offering 2012 Max. 2018 or maybe even 2019 if MB cant strike a deal is far less appealing. Past performances are nice but if teams do not see him at a decent level in 7 years on a 7 mil they could easily look elsewhere for lw help.

Reactions: Blueston

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

No one said he wasn't worth them. They just said that their organization is not in a position to give up those pieces for a piece that doesn t necessarily get them any closer to the Stanley Cup.

Reading comprehension.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
No one said he wasn't worth them. They just said that their organization is not in a position to give up those pieces for a piece that doesn t necessarily get them any closer to the Stanley Cup.

Reading comprehension.

Spare me the arrogance. A player's worth is what he can garner in a trade. If, for whatever reason including the wanted prospecrs worth to his current club, he can't get the estimated return, he's not worth those prospects.

As for adding a 30 goal scoring 60-70 point player not getting you closer to a cup... LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pierre Lebrun

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Too bad you are not offering 2012 Max. 2018 or maybe even 2019 if MB cant strike a deal is far less appealing. Past performances are nice but if teams do not see him at a decent level in 7 years on a 7 mil they could easily look elsewhere for lw help.

What ?

Who cares what he'll sign for.

You trade for him for the 2 playoff runs you feel you will contend for.

A team like Nashville or Pittsburgh adding another high end player for a bunch of non-roster player, none of which are blue chippers in the sense of a Sergachev or Juolevi or Dubois is not a high Price.

You might think a contending window is not worth pushing to the limit, but to management and ownership with real cup aspirations, a potential 2nd line center in 3-4 years when the team might not contend just doesn't hold up the process.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

0 teams in the NHL will give up equal prospects to those 2 for Pacioretty.

Maybe Sam steel straight up, but you wouldn’t get a 1st on top of him.

And no chance in hell you get a Robert Thomas for him.

Reactions: Colt55 and Blueston

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Spare me the arrogance. A player's worth is what he can garner in a trade. If, for whatever reason including the wanted prospecrs worth to his current club, he can't get the estimated return, he's not worth those prospects.

As for adding a 30 goal scoring 60-70 point player not getting you closer to a cup... LOL.

So by your own logic, he isnt worth them. Thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard. No one would argue that open market Pacioretty is more valuable than Steel or Thomas. But they are key pieces to the Ducks and Blues not sucking once their current core flames out. Contrary to Habs' fans belief - not every team wants to nbe in a position like Montreal with aging players and no prospects to take their place.

Pacioretty and his 70 points during the season (Where is this 70 point pacioretty? he'll be lucky to hit 50 this season, but i digress), don't do much for teams who can make the playoffs without him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Radulov took the deal with the Stars because it was the best offer and they have less taxes than most. Habs would of had to give Radulov well north of $7M to match the take home clear pay he would of got in Montreal.

At the end of the day, the rate for a #3 or #4 guy in your top 6 is somewhere between $5-$7M and I would give Patch no more than $6.5M. JVR is asking for 6x6.

I know this is a popular take, but it’s flawed. There are tax laws European athletes can take advantage of in Canada that can greatly reduce their taxes.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Your chances of getting a guy in the draft who's scored as much as pacioretty the last five years (i.e. top 5) is close to nill.

He's on a ridiculous contract, the habs can retain both cap and salary, he's a lock for 35+ and close to 70 points on any semi competent team, he's great defensively, plays the PK, gets breakaways...

He's available for 2 playoff runs on top of having a salary structure of some 3rd liners, especially if the Habs retain. He makes every other winger better by taking pressure off, he himself would have less pressure on a team with offense.

So yes, he's worth a lot, more than the rest. Two late firsts at least is not a high asking price, it's a start.
Why did you even quote me? Nothing you said has anything to do with the post you quoted...?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Oh really? Because 3 years ago Crosby was all but done.

I remember everyone saying Ovechkin was done as well before Trotz came in.

Two years ago, Getzlaf was done after s mediocre first half of the season.

Last year, Bergeron was awful for the first three months. Giroux was all but done and had an anchor contract.

After winning his first Vezina, Bobrovski was trash and the year before was pure luck.

Pacioretty is just like the guys above. Very bad in the first quarter of the season but he’s been producing at his normal pace 35G/65pts for the past 25 games.

Check the facts before making a fool out of yourself

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Is patches a core piece of any team going forward?

He seams like an elite secondary guy. Like Phil Kessel or similar.

Mtl asking price is for a core pieces, not great help like patches.

Just trade him already, this is getting old.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It has been at least 10 pages since an STL offer was proposed, so that will be good for at least another 10 once that occurs!

Please no more St-Louis offers. We've already seen the arguments from both sides. Let's have new teams enter the mix.

Reactions: Colt55

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
The opener thread is saying that Pacioretty's agent was told his client will be moved, what is false, Lavoie is only saying that Pacioretty's clan expect a trade but thats only speculation at this point.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Is patches a core piece of any team going forward?

He seams like an elite secondary guy. Like Phil Kessel or similar.

Mtl asking price is for a core pieces, not great help like patches.

Just trade him already, this is getting old.

We only just started...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad