Rumor: Pacioretty on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Accountant? No.
- Do the Europeans have this same advantage in the US? To my knowledge No, or much less so. It relies on getting a large portion of your income tax deferred.
- Up to the player
- Players are paid in USD, so CAD/USD only comes into play for cost of living.

You can read more about it here:
RCA and professional athletes - GBL

The short cliff notes version is professional athletes can have a large portion of their salaries placed into a tax deferred Retirement Compensation Agreement. Then after the player retires any money withdrawn from the RCA is taxed based on player residence. If they stay in Canada then full Canadian taxes hit. If they retire to a country that has a tax treaty with Canada then they're taxed either at their own county's income tax rate or 15-25% if that country doesn't tax pension payments. For Russian players that's a pretty big potential tax savings with Russia's income tax rate of 13%.

Thanks for the in depth reply. It's interesting to put together and draw your own conclusions from it based on where that player is from and where they may retire. I guess that if it was a huge disadvantage or advantage by some cities vs the other, it would be a topic of discussion in the next CBA?

I just find it funny that Tampa was able to get Stamkos at $8.5M and Hedman at $7.875M when most feel they would of gotten way more in the open market. It's possible they took a pay cut to stay on a team to remain competitive but can do make this also happen with Kucherov very soon? We will see.

Look at Subban and Price with the Habs who have a large tax hit for example. Two players that signed massive deals to remain with the Habs but neither took a pay cut when they were close to being UFA's. If the goal was to remain competitive, don't you think they leave some money on table like Stamkos and Hedman did?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
When we're at page 63 of a "Rumor" thread that was started about two weeks ago, it might be a sign that it's time to change the prefix?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Pacioretty, Mccarron

For

Vilardi, Gaborik, 2018 1st, 3rd/4th

Warm body is Gaborik, who is signed for 4 more years, top prospect, 1st and conditional 3rd/4th depending on playoff run.

I understand that Vilardi is seen as untouchable by some fans. And I understand your responses will state this.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Pacioretty, Mccarron

For

Warm body is Gaborik, who is signed for 4 more years, top prospect, 1st and conditional 3rd/4th depending on playoff run.

I understand that Vilardi is seen as untouchable by some fans. And I understand your responses will state this.

I really like Vilardi but there’s no way we take that anchor of a contract that Gaborik is. Never.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
When we're at page 63 of a "Rumor" thread that was started about two weeks ago, it might be a sign that it's time to change the prefix?
There's a new rumor out of MTL every few days.

At this point I don't see the utility of shutting down and creating a new thread on the subject every time some new talking head chimes in. We tried that, and it's not like the conversation evolved with each new rumor. The same junk just keeps getting regurgitated time and again. It just ends up being a waste of moderator time.

Still, it's a topic that's too big to ignore completely, so here's the thread for it. Those who feel the need are free to wallow in it to their hearts' content, as long as they can find it in themselves to keep things at least somewhat civil and on topic.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Pacioretty, Mccarron

For

Missing several big pieces if we're taking on Gaborik.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Pacioretty, Mccarron

For

No to any deal that involves Vilardi leaving LA for Pacioretty.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He included Gaborik which is a big cap dump; but yea don't see LA trading away Vilardi.

Doesn't matter how you structure the deal, "value" is inconsequential here.

The Kings need to keep their youth after trading it away for years for cup runs. VIllardI is the heir apparent to LAs 1C role, and won't be moved for that reason alone, unless it's for a young C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our top 2 prospects and a 1st. Don't think poile will do that. Guess nashville will look someone else if thats the price

Keep Fabbro. I would take Tolvanen, 2019 1st, and 2020 2nd. 2020 turns into a 1st if the Preds win a cup this year or next. If the Preds are happy with that, we wait till last moment at trade deadline before we sign. Habs will see if we can get more.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I just don't see the Habs trading Max unless they're getting a true C with true top line potential as the starting point. There aren't a lot out there, which is why people come back to St Louis (Thomas or Kyrou) and LA (Vilardi). I don't really see the upside in trading for an elite winger. Habs are well stocked with good young wingers with scoring potential and are poised to draft another in June, (if they don't draft a D man).

One thing they are unlikely to get in this year's draft is a C with top line potential. So if you can't get Kyrou, Thomas, or Vilardi then I would just keep Max.

Reactions: Runner77

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I just don't see the Habs trading Max unless they're getting a true C with true top line potential as the starting point. There aren't a lot out there, which is why people come back to St Louis (Thomas or Kyrou) and LA (Vilardi). I don't really see the upside in trading for an elite winger. Habs are well stocked with good young wingers with scoring potential and are poised to draft another in June, (if they don't draft a D man).

One thing they are unlikely to get in this year's draft is a C with top line potential. So if you can't get Kyrou, Thomas, or Vilardi then I would just keep Max.

Kyrou doesn’t project as a C. He’s not playing C right now and hasn’t all year. He’s pretty much purely a winger at this point and projects as such.

Reactions: Colt55

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only way I move those three pieces in one deal is for a younger Pacioretty who would be a part of the core for years.

A younger Patch? He's age 29 this year and 30 next year. What do you want, Patch at age 25 where you can create this situation to buy even lower because he has not scored multiple seasons of 30 goals yet? :laugh:

It don't add up. If Patch was younger and with more term, you have no chance in hell to acquire him based on the low ball offers I am seeing for Patch this playoffs and a whole year next year. Heck, Lucic for one year got a 13th overall and Jones who is a proven asset and was traded for another 1st. The added bonus with Patch would be an extra playoff year so that's worth more.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Not a lot of proven 30 goal options. But yeah, you can go try to get Kane or Nash and if you think the price is much cheaper. It likely is cheaper but they will fetch a 1st+ type return at least.

Surely Nashville can get one of Nash, E. Kane, Pacioretty, Nyqvist, Zuccarello, Grabner, Tatar, Vanek or Leivo to play on their third line without giving up Tolvanen.

I'd be comfortable paying up to Fabbro + 1st, but we're not moving Tolvanen, or at least we shouldn't.

Reactions: HansonBro and Tex76

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A younger Patch? He's age 29 this year and 30 next year. What do you want, Patch at age 25 where you can create this situation to buy even lower because he has not scored multiple seasons of 30 goals yet? :laugh:

It don't add up. If Patch was younger and with more term, you have no chance in hell to acquire him based on the low ball offers I am seeing for Patch this playoffs and a whole year next year. Heck, Lucic for one year got a 13th overall and Jones who is a proven asset and was traded for another 1st. The added bonus with Patch would be an extra playoff year so that's worth more.
Jones had a whopping 29 games started at the time of the trade he had promise but I wouldn't call him proven. He was held in high regard though. Colin Miller was also involved in that trade, I don't think he was much of anything to the Kings at the time, though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Surely Nashville can get one of Nash, E. Kane, Pacioretty, Nyqvist, Zuccarello, Grabner, Tatar, Vanek or Leivo to play on their third line without giving up Tolvanen.

I'd be comfortable paying up to Fabbro + 1st, but we're not moving Tolvanen, or at least we shouldn't.
clearly not the bolded lol.

Pacioretty probably has the best track record of the bunch though but yea the winger market is extremely flooded.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

You miss the point that is our entire future(short term) so we would need a piece Younger for all three of those pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad