Rumor: P. Kane to Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
With no risk attached....
I disagree there is no risk with a multi year deal.

Precisely. As someone said earlier, if he's dusted, LTIRetire him.
If he's injured sure, but if he's no longer injured but his mobility is unlike what it once was you cant just LTIR him because he's half the player he used to be.

1 year deal, sure, I dont care how much. Multi year deal, nope.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I was not specifically thinking same line, thinking more about mentoring.
I was more specifically thinking that Kane would take playing time away from them. PP opportunities, openings on the top line, etc... I'm not keen to try and drop a vet into the roster half way through the season. Trying to re-insert Vrana was anything but smooth and there was nothing wrong with him physically.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I was more specifically thinking that Kane would take playing time away from them. PP opportunities, openings on the top line, etc... I'm not keen to try and drop a vet into the roster half way through the season. Trying to re-insert Vrana was anything but smooth and there was nothing wrong with him physically.
I don't think it makes sense for our PP1 to be larkin - dbc - kane, when our first line is already that. Unless their point production is already insane, then I guess.

PP1
DBC - Kane - Rasmussen (playing center for powerplay?)

PP2 - Larkin - raymond - Copp - Berggren

PP1 would be just dbc and kane doing all the work. PP2 still has great possibilities and with Kane practicing and teaching raymond and berggren, couldn't hurt.

I think Berggren would learn/grow the most because he is a pure playmaker that has ability to score. He just needs the confidence and if Kane can give that to him in game or practice, I don't see how that could hurt players playing times/point production.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think it makes sense for our PP1 to be larkin - dbc - kane, when our first line is already that. Unless their point production is already insane, then I guess.

PP1
DBC - Kane - Rasmussen (playing center for powerplay?)

PP2 - Larkin - raymond - Copp - Berggren

PP1 would be just dbc and kane doing all the work. PP2 still has great possibilities and with Kane practicing and teaching raymond and berggren, couldn't hurt.

I think Berggren would learn/grow the most because he is a pure playmaker that has ability to score. He just needs the confidence and if Kane can give that to him in game or practice, I don't see how that could hurt players playing times/point production.
Larkin had the highest PPG mark for the Wings since Z in '08 last year. He's on PP1.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just for giggles

Cat - Larkin - Kane
Perron - Copp - Raymond
Berggren - Compher - Rasmussen
Fabbri - Veleno - Kostin/Sprong

That top 6 looks like the best we have had since we last made the playoffs. That's a pretty decent 3rd line too.

Walman-Seider
Maataa-Petry
Ghost-Holl
Rearrange the bottom 3 dmen however.

That might be a playoff team if nothing else.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It all hinges on how well he can move on the ice after this surgery. If the surgery improves his health from last year he would be an absolute weapon for our PP. Adding Debrincat and Kane to our PP1 would be huge for us this season. That's where they work their magic together best.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Just for giggles

Cat - Larkin - Kane
Perron - Copp - Raymond
Berggren - Compher - Rasmussen
Fabbri - Veleno - Kostin/Sprong

That top 6 looks like the best we have had since we last made the playoffs. That's a pretty decent 3rd line too.

Walman-Seider
Maataa-Petry
Ghost-Holl
Rearrange the bottom 3 dmen however.

That might be a playoff team if nothing else.
I'd argue putting berggren compher raymond on second line then perron copp ras on third makes more sense with more balance.

For defense I'd probably put ghost with Maatta and petry with holl if that's possible. Maatta knows how to keep the puck in the zone which only helps ghost and is much more a defensive defenseman to offset ghost's jump in play. Wouldn't be opposed to a third line of petry and chiarot just to see what happens. Roll the dice lol.

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Grind line Draper absosultey was a bit of a rat, definitely not as bad as Maltby but he was. He was the biggest trash talker on the wings for years
maltby essentially made draper look good even though draper was just as bad, just not after the whistle.

Reactions: newfy

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

It was anything but smooth because Vrana was a f***in space cadet. He may have physically been alright, but he has always been one. He's a million dollar talent with a ten cent head even going back to his Washington days.

Also... I'm not going to pass up on adding a potentially elite player on a no-risk, short-term deal because he might take minutes away from Jonatan Berggren.

If they want PP opportunities and an opening on the top line, they need to force the hand. Jonatan Berggren doesn't deserve top line minutes, not even if Kane stays unsigned or goes elsewhere. Not yet.

People always push the wrong narrative here. If a rookie doesn't get top line or top six minutes, they haven't done enough. Larkin came in and got top line minutes. Mantha got top line minutes. Bertuzzi worked his way up to top line minutes. Damn, I disliked him, but AA worked himself up to top 6 minutes eventually. It's a pass-fail business. You don't get shepherded with prime opportunities for your career. The Wings don't specifically care whether Jonatan Berggren or Joe Veleno or Filip Zadina or insert other young player du jour here succeed. They care about whether they make the Red Wings organization stronger in that year and years to come. Now I know it's easy to fall in love with prospects when you start watching them in juniors, but that's not how any successful team has ever developed their players... giving them top 6 or top line spots without proving themselves.

Reactions: stillwater

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It was anything but smooth because Vrana was a f***in space cadet. He may have physically been alright, but he has always been one. He's a million dollar talent with a ten cent head even going back to his Washington days.

Also... I'm not going to pass up on adding a potentially elite player on a no-risk, short-term deal because he might take minutes away from Jonatan Berggren.

If they want PP opportunities and an opening on the top line, they need to force the hand. Jonatan Berggren doesn't deserve top line minutes, not even if Kane stays unsigned or goes elsewhere. Not yet.

People always push the wrong narrative here. If a rookie doesn't get top line or top six minutes, they haven't done enough. Larkin came in and got top line minutes. Mantha got top line minutes. Bertuzzi worked his way up to top line minutes. Damn, I disliked him, but AA worked himself up to top 6 minutes eventually. It's a pass-fail business. You don't get shepherded with prime opportunities for your career. The Wings don't specifically care whether Jonatan Berggren or Joe Veleno or Filip Zadina or insert other young player du jour here succeed. They care about whether they make the Red Wings organization stronger in that year and years to come. Now I know it's easy to fall in love with prospects when you start watching them in juniors, but that's not how any successful team has ever developed their players... giving them top 6 or top line spots without proving themselves.
No, the narrative here is that the Wings in mid season will have had their pecking order somewhat figured out. Injuries are injuries and that shit happens.

But fast-forward to Kane says he's ready to go.

ADB - Larkin - Raymond is humming along.
Perron - Copp - Rasmussen is humming along.
Berggren - Compher - Fabbri is humming along.

Does Kane have to "prove it" on the 4th line to get minutes or is he going to bump someone? It's no different than Kubalik inexplicably getting healthy scratched for Vrana. You can soapbox all you want about kids having to earn/prove it, but that same rule doesn't apply to vets so that's why it's a thing that keeps getting brought up. And Kane coming off a career-killer surgery at the age of 35 has a f*** ton more to prove than a kid coming off a pretty decent rookie campaign.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd argue putting berggren compher raymond on second line then perron copp ras on third makes more sense with more balance.
Raymond supposedly bulked up this summer according to Lalonde. I feel more comfortable putting him with DBC or Burger now.

You gotta like how the players are addressing their deficiencies, whether it's Raymond bulking up or Raz fixing his skating. Now if Raz and Copp work on their shooting, this team will look pretty solid with or without Kane.

As for Kane, I'd do a one deal, nothing more. You should never pass up on a free asset, even if he is a dick. I think it'll depend highly on how Sprong works out. I have my doubts, he's been healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row, and Lalonde doesn't put up with BS basde on what we saw with Vrana.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Raymond supposedly bulked up this summer according to Lalonde. I feel more comfortable putting him with DBC or Burger now.

You gotta like how the players are addressing their deficiencies, whether it's Raymond bulking up or Raz fixing his skating. Now if Raz and Copp work on their shooting, this team will look pretty solid with or without Kane.

As for Kane, I'd do a one deal, nothing more. You should never pass up on a free asset, even if he is a dick. I think it'll depend highly on how Sprong works out. I have my doubts, he's been healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row, and Lalonde doesn't put up with BS basde on what we saw with Vrana.

Lately I've been thinkin Sprong with Kane, which would be deadly as an offensive Bottom6 line.

How can you matchup against these lines:

DeBrincat - Larkin - Perron
Fabbri/Burger - Compher - Raymond
Sprong - Rasmussen - Kane
Kostin - Copp - Fischer

That's ultimately deep offensive corps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad