Rumor: P. Kane to Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
We should not go after Kane because he’s had hip resurfacing surgery. Period. It’s not a question of skill or his personality. That injury automatically disqualified him from consideration. That surgery is a career ender and the dudes who has tried to come back are a shadow of themselves and are totally and incapable of skating and pivoting. It was a huge surgery and this cannot be overlooked
I am concerned about this as well. Although for a one year deal, it is not much of a risk. Either he is good to go or on LTIR.

Reactions: odin1981

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No he absolutely wouldn't be, not by me at least. He has always been a rat and that is too hard to respect

I bet you loved home grown guys like Maltby and Draper who were rats in their prime though. Gonna suck when you have to watch Mazur in a wings jersey for the next few yearstoo.

As for Kane, even if he isnt what he once was... I think the wings can get 50-60 points outta him pretty easy and a big boost on the PP still. For the right price and short term, definitely

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
If Detroit signs him at like 5.5 or 6 million for 1 year I'm chill with that. I don't see a problem as Seider and Raymond can be signed starting next year. If Kane turns out to be a boat anchor, we are not tied down to him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I bet you loved home grown guys like Maltby and Draper who were rats in their prime though. Gonna suck when you have to watch Mazur in a wings jersey for the next few yearstoo.

As for Kane, even if he isnt what he once was... I think the wings can get 50-60 points outta him pretty easy and a big boost on the PP still. For the right price and short term, definitely

Draper wasn't a rat.

Reactions: Geezer WC

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If Detroit signs him at like 5.5 or 6 million for 1 year I'm chill with that. I don't see a problem as Seider and Raymond can be signed starting next year. If Kane turns out to be a boat anchor, we are not tied down to him.
If its 1 year, then whatever it doesnt matter. If he wants a multi year deal, unless he's willing to do physicals and do a workout (which I highly doubt), then I want no part of it.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it would be wonderful to add Kane, surprised at us over Buffalo, but I think it would be great. If they are thinking this year I would love to get it done and put the rest of his rehab in the LCA if he is willing.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And the reason why he wants to come to Detroit is winning cup?.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And the reason why he wants to come to Detroit is winning cup?.

He's done that three times already.

The main motivation is because it seems Kane and DeBrincat are close friends and love playing hockey together.

Before DeBrincat was traded from Chicago:

"I’ve developed some chemistry with DeBrincat over the years and if he’s here and if he’s a big piece, then that makes it easier for me, too, right?" Kane said at the time. "Because I’m playing with him every day and he’s such a good player and it makes it fun to be out there with him. We’ll see how it all shakes out."

After DeBrincat was traded to Ottawa:

"It was kind of crushing at first when you hear the news," Kane said after Thursday's first on-ice day of training camp. "Not only did we have some great chemistry on the ice, but he was one of my best friends and closest teammates off the ice as well. It was tough.

"He's a guy that's going to develop into a great player, better than he already is. He's in a great situation in Ottawa. He's going to play with some good players and put up numbers and do well, and it'll be fun to watch him do that.

And the most important part:

"But at the same time, you wish you were doing it with him because we had that chemistry, we had the friendship off the ice, he was at the point where he wasn't scared to give it back to me or anything like that. We really pushed each other. Definitely a guy I'll miss playing with."

This isn't the usual PR statements players say when a player is moved. It's very clear Kane found playing with DeBrincat special, so I'm not surprised Detroit is popping up as a destination.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
One thing I am also liking is that guys also like Larkin and he seems to have a lot of good friends, especially guys who have been through the US Dev Program. That will be a huge plus when the Wings really are ready to compete and can make serious runs at star players. I heard he’s really
Close to guys like Matthews and others.
Came here for the Kane rumors but this is the real post of the thread for me. If this is true, and that’s not a comment on you, then that has the potential to be big for the rebuild. Another reason he’s a great player to build around if so.

Reactions: flychairman

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
No, both can be true. I can understand that adding a Patrick Kane or a Brad Marchand would improve the product on the ice, while still disliking the individual.

Pronger absolutely deserved the Hart Trophy that he won. He was a total force. But I hated him so much that I wouldn't want him on the Wings for $1. And each fan is free to have their own "under no circumstances" list if they so choose.

Emotions aren't inherently rational. But it doesn't invalidate the opinion.

I still hate Chelios and to this day his name taints the DRW cups. It's a combo of him being a massive taint in his own right and the fact he was only on the team because of Vladdy's injury.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Meh. An aging Kane.

The only reason he's not going to Buffalo is the fact that he couldn't crack that lineup. Not now. This isn't 2009 Patrick Kane. He'll be a shell of himself.

So Buffalo doesn't want him and some of you guys are penciling him in for the first line. Yeah I don't think so.

Sure, sign Kane. F*ck it. While you're at it, see if you can pay Claude Lemieux enough to give up the agent thing and drive the Zamboni. Maybe when Crosby retires we can give him millions of dollars to scrub the urinals.

Gross. Someone up above said they like mayo on a hot dog, and signing Kane would be slightly more gross than that, even with the psychosexual implications of it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

You bring up a good example...that helps prove my point.

I thought Maltby was an absolute punk whenever he did the face washes and choppiness after the whistle. Couldn't stand it.

Reactions: deca guard

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carolina feels like a better fit for Kane than Detroit or Buffalo is, unless Kane's priority is getting paid rather than getting another Cup. The Canes still have around $2.8M in cap space if Lemieux and Kochetkov are sent down to the AHL.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Meh. An aging Kane.

The only reason he's not going to Buffalo is the fact that he couldn't crack that lineup. Not now. This isn't 2009 Patrick Kane. He'll be a shell of himself.

So Buffalo doesn't want him and some of you guys are penciling him in for the first line. Yeah I don't think so.

Sure, sign Kane. F*ck it. While you're at it, see if you can pay Claude Lemieux enough to give up the agent thing and drive the Zamboni. Maybe when Crosby retires we can give him millions of dollars to scrub the urinals.

Gross. Someone up above said they like mayo on a hot dog, and signing Kane would be slightly more gross than that, even with the psychosexual implications of it.

Yep. Should we call Sean Avery out of retirement as well? Do not want.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
A;lso consider the age and the wear-and-tear. Hes going to be 35, with additional playing time, a surgery, and injuries since the last time he was a point per game player a few years ago.

a few years ago? he had literally one season at .78 and the year before that was at 1.18

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Came here for the Kane rumors but this is the real post of the thread for me. If this is true, and that’s not a comment on you, then that has the potential to be big for the rebuild. Another reason he’s a great player to build around if so.
Larkin lead an effort to get USA hockey guys together after the sudden passing of Jim Johannson.

This was after being a captain in the development program and regular contributor to the World Championship effort and recruiting. Larkin is very popular within USA hockey. I could see him being a surprise captain at some point over some bigger names. Several visiting players have commented on it over the years, extremely close with Noah Hanifin and even guys that have rarely been with Team USA like Pat Maroon. That is an intangible that Larkin does have, he seems to be very popular in every room he has ever been in, not only that but immediately a leader, even on some teams where he clearly wasn't the #1 guy.

From a few years ago, but here is Kane talking about Larkin

"You can tell he's just like a natural born leader, he wants to be involved with the team, he wants to be around the guys and he also wants to play the game the right way. It's not like he's really thinking about points or goals or anything like that. I'm sure that comes with his part of the game but he really does play a team game first."

Last edited:
Reactions: flychairman

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
a few years ago? he had literally one season at .78 and the year before that was at 1.18
And he will miss half of this season with an injury, so by the time he starts THIS season, it will be at least 2.5 years since the last time he started a season where he was more than a point per game. And my point was not just that, but ADD to that the major surgery, the injuries, the fact that he will be 35 years old. A 35 year old coming off of a major surgery and other injuries is a LOT different player than one who is 32 -33 years old and not coming off of a major surgery and injuries.

Hes just not going to be that good anymore. You might, MAYBE get some decent offensive numbers out of him (I still have doubts even about that) but that is all he would give you and would be a liability in most other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad