Value of: P.K. Subban in the off-season

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
First of all, this thread is based on couple off assumptions happening:

- Duchene is traded to Nashville without any roster players moved out and is resigned
- Fabbro signs with Nashville and shows some promise

Now Nashville has to clear up cap space to be able to resign every player in the off-season and remain flexible with the cap. Adding Fabbro and trading away P.K. would give them that flexibility and while it would give more work to the remaining three of the current top4, the defense would still in my opinion be good enough to win.

P.K. is currently 29 years old, has a cap hit of 9 million dollars and is signed through the 21/22 season.

In P.K. the team would get a leader in top2 or top4 role for few more years. He is slowed down but it doesn't make him bad. He is tough in own end of the ice and can also be effective on the PP.

Possibly interested teams IMO could include:

- Buffalo
- Islanders
- Vancouver
- Florida
- Oilers (only if they clear the cap)

Nashville is looking for picks and prospects or young players still in their ELC. Is there a market for P.K. and what would these teams or any other be willing to trade away to get him?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There would be a big market for PK

Especially if Nashville does well in the playoffs. Odds are he's there best player there.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
I agree I don't see PK suit up for the Preds next season if we get Duchene extended. Josi is going to get a hefty raise. I could see PK at the draft for someones 1st and a prospect

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Odds would be a similar return that Ottawa got for Karlsson except with the extra years on his contract the trade may have to include a top prospect along with the other parts.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Odds would be a similar return that Ottawa got for Karlsson except with the extra years on his contract the trade may have to include a top prospect along with the other parts.

As a Preds fan I would be more than happy with this kind of return. I can't see him being worth that much. Karlsson was younger at the moment of the trade and widely regarded as at least top3 player in his position in the league. While Subban is a really good hockey player he isn't in the same conversation and I can't see the extra year in his contract adding that much value while his cap hit is also really high.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Canucks.

Benning is known to be a fan + they have the need.

2019 1st + Madden + Tanev?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think a lot depends on how Subban plays in the playoffs and what the real scoop is on his long-term health. This season has been a struggle for him. But last year he snuck into the Norris finalists and was one of our best players in the playoffs. That was only last season. This season has been a totally different story. Maybe he could still redeem it with another strong playoff. The lingering question about whether he has a chronic back/neck injury problem is probably key - if that's to blame for his bad year, and if there isn't a clear prognosis on it improving, then his value probably takes a big hit.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
As a Preds fan I would be more than happy with this kind of return. I can't see him being worth that much. Karlsson was younger at the moment of the trade and widely regarded as at least top3 player in his position in the league. While Subban is a really good hockey player he isn't in the same conversation and I can't see the extra year in his contract adding that much value while his cap hit is also really high.
Well he is clearly a top 5 RHD in the league which carries massive value. His cap hit is large but the value he brings off the ice to a franchise also carries more value for him than any other player in the league. Plus Karlsson was a UFA which lowered the value where Subban has 4? more years on his contract after this one? I feel like it's just the matter of finding the team willing to give up the assets for a top pairing RHD.

Reactions: DekeLikeYouMeanIt

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Wouldn't trading Craig Smith at the draft clear enough money to sign everyone and Duchene? The cap will go up, and it will rise again before Josi needs to be re-signed. At that point Bonino would be an easy dump if it came to moving out salary. There's really no need to move Subban.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Canucks.

Benning is known to be a fan + they have the need.

2019 1st + Madden + Tanev?

Don't really know anything about Madden but 1st and Tanev are good pieces in my opinion. Tanev would provide a stopgap solution with a reasonable price and getting a 1st round pick is essential in any trade including Subban.

I think a lot depends on how Subban plays in the playoffs and what the real scoop is on his long-term health. This season has been a struggle for him. But last year he snuck into the Norris finalists and was one of our best players in the playoffs. That was only last season. This season has been a totally different story. Maybe he could still redeem it with another strong playoff. The lingering question about whether he has a chronic back/neck injury problem is probably key - if that's to blame for his bad year, and if there isn't a clear prognosis on it improving, then his value probably takes a big hit.

This is also true. For me the trade still has to happen, even if his price has taken a hit. Next summer he still has value when the buying team is looking at maybe three more years of good level of play from him.

Well he is clearly a top 5 RHD in the league which carries massive value. His cap hit is large but the value he brings off the ice to a franchise also carries more value for him than any other player in the league. Plus Karlsson was a UFA which lowered the value where Subban has 4? more years on his contract after this one? I feel like it's just the matter of finding the team willing to give up the assets for a top pairing RHD.

I don't believe he is clearly a top 5 rhd but I do agree that he is in the conversation. The off-ice value is definitely a factor. The contract can be a good or a bad thing. He will be 30 going in to next season and it has to be taken in to account how much longer he can remain effective. P.K. plays a heavy game and it might wear him down fast.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Honestly, I'm not convinced Ellis or Subban hasn't played their last season in a Preds uniform. I think one gets moved this summer if the team doesn't make it to the finals. My guess is Subban.

Reactions: SouthNash

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Wouldn't trading Craig Smith at the draft clear enough money to sign everyone and Duchene? The cap will go up, and it will rise again before Josi needs to be re-signed. At that point Bonino would be an easy dump if it came to moving out salary. There's really no need to move Subban.

Might be enough but I think that this is the optimal time to trade one of the big4 and for me Subban is the odd man out. I know it is a bit silly to think too much into the next expansion draft but Preds really can't go 4-4 anymore and that means one of the four has to be traded or lost in the expansion. I would rather trade him now when the value is still there.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I really think his value is much higher than many Preds fans have talked about on our boards. It's easy to say he hasn't been as good this year because Ekholm and Josi have outplayed him, but newsflash they have outplayed a lot of guys this year because they are really good. PK has been our best defender in the playoffs since he started. That should go a long way in trade value by itself.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Honestly, I'm not convinced Ellis or Subban hasn't played their last season in a Preds uniform. I think one gets moved this summer if the team doesn't make it to the finals. My guess is Subban.

He'd be an amazing fit on the Leafs, but the money just doesn't work.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Subban would fetch more than Smith would. Right now Subban is playing like a no.4 defenseman who makes 9M. If we can snag an actual no.4 defenseman and a few good prospects/high picks than it's the right move depending on how the playoffs shake out.

On the one hand Subban been mediocre this year and parts of last year, on the other he's an absolute fan favorite and it's clear that he's coming off a bad injury.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
I really think his value is much higher than many Preds fans have talked about on our boards. It's easy to say he hasn't been as good this year because Ekholm and Josi have outplayed him, but newsflash they have outplayed a lot of guys this year because they are really good. PK has been our best defender in the playoffs since he started. That should go a long way in trade value by itself.

It might be and of course I hope it will be. Still when putting myself on the other side of the table I have to take his age, salary and style of play into consideration. I certainly wouldn't feel that comfortable if the Preds would ship out a lot of picks and prospects for a 30-year old player who plays a "heavy" game and has a couple of years remaining on a 9 million cap hit contract.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Almost $12M in cap space (if cap stays flat) with Fiala, Hartman, Sissons, Grimaldi (if Duchene is around $8M, that gives us $4M or so...only Dials will get a remotely sizable raise). We're going to need to move a few forwards just for roster space, which should clear up enough cap space. A defenseman only needs to be moved if the value can't be passed up.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It might be and of course I hope it will be. Still when putting myself on the other side of the table I have to take his age, salary and style of play into consideration. I certainly wouldn't feel that comfortable if the Preds would ship out a lot of picks and prospects for a 30-year old player who plays a "heavy" game and has a couple of years remaining on a 9 million cap hit contract.

I just think there is always a need for minute eating defenseman. I am not expecting some franchise changing deal, but some of our fan base is acting as if he has negative value right now. Fans are really short sighted. GM's aren't likely to be as reactionary. Case and point, Ellis was loved at the signing and now he gets shit on every other game for not being worth his contract. Every career trajectory won't be a perfect bell curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad