Value of: P.K. Subban in the off-season

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yea, but the real pissing match will be in other threads trying to dump cap space. Plus, the Oilers trade thread where fans will refuse to give up magic beans for Subban :laugh:

Klefbom-Subban
Nurse-Larsson

Sure makes the Oilers top 4 a lot more respectable

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If we took Lucic back would Yamamoto be on the table?

I would certainly consider it, but the Oilers are absolutely empty on the wings. We'd need some replacement options (or potential options) coming back if we're giving up Yamamoto AND Puljujarvi. (I'm not certain which of the deals you said you'd accept we're talking about now).

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
I would love to see Subban in a Bolt uniform.

But I don't see Tampa and Nashville coming to a trade.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I would certainly consider it, but the Oilers are absolutely empty on the wings. We'd need some replacement options (or potential options) coming back if we're giving up Yamamoto AND Puljujarvi. (I'm not certain which of the deals you said you'd accept we're talking about now).

The 1st+Larsson+Puljujarvi deal. I forgot to add that we'd be swapping Puljujarvi for Yamamoto in that case.

1st + Larson + Yamamoto + Lucic for Subban + forward?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The 1st+Larsson+Puljujarvi deal. I forgot to add that we'd be swapping Puljujarvi for Yamamoto in that case.

This should be a yes from Edmonton as long as they are not picking top 3.
EDM wouldnt trade a top 3 pick straight up for Subban.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

That second one definitely looks like a yes to me, depending on the quality of forward we're getting back. I suppose it also depends on how high that 1st is for us.

edit: I think I'd actually rather keep Yamamoto over Puljujarvi, though, given how Puljujarvi and his agent seem to want out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is Nsh in a situation to take on 6m of essentially dead cap for the next 4 years?

I thought the main motivation of moving Subban was to clear cap?
The main motivation will be the expansion draft where we will unlikely protect 4 dmen at the expense of our forwards.

Either way, I dont see Poile willing to eat that contract. Never really been his style.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If Subban's available there should be a lineup of 30 teams for his services. Subban would be a good fit in Vegas IMO. His brother plays there, they need a stud #1 dman and his personality would be good for that market.

Reactions: BernieParent

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Roman Josi is and has been a much better player than Subban in a lot of aspects aside from maybe hitting and one timers. PK is certainly a good player but I think people really overlook how good Josi is.

I don't know how true or not that is i haven't watched many of their games this year. But I know PK has a tendency to always do great in the playoffs.

What I was saying is - if Nashville does well in the playoffs (as they're expected to) - odds are PK once again does well too, regardless of whose having the better regular season so far. He doesn't usually disappoint in playoffs.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't know how true or not that is i haven't watched many of their games this year. But I know PK has a tendency to always do great in the playoffs.

What I was saying is - if Nashville does well in the playoffs (as they're expected to) - odds are PK once again does well too, regardless of whose having the better regular season so far. He doesn't usually disappoint in playoffs.

That’s a fair statement and makes a lot more sense

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
The ideal return would include a top4 dman with one year left on his contract, so we had a pair for Josi (I'm hoping we'd re-unite Ekholm and Ellis) and could develop Fabbro in 3rd pair for one season until taking over top4 duties.

Main reason for moving Subban would be the upcoming expansion draft (going 7+3), because I suppose we could make it work capwise even if he's not traded.

Canucks.

Benning is known to be a fan + they have the need.

2019 1st + Madden + Tanev?

Tanev would work for the reasons above. Don't know how the rest of the deal would look like. I have no idea of Madden's potential/value either.

Not sure if I would include Larsson(or if the Preds want him with Josi/Ellis playing top 4 RHD)

5th OA + Bouchard?

Ellis and Subban on the right side, Josi and Ekholm on the left.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

He was a beast in last year's playoffs and according to MTL fans it's not the first time. Another successful playoffs for Subban should make his value increase in the summer.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Let's reunite the Subban brothers (and Pacioretty)

Miller, Marchessault, 1st rounder 2019, Elvenes for PK
7th for Jordan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree I don't see PK suit up for the Preds next season if we get Duchene extended. Josi is going to get a hefty raise. I could see PK at the draft for someones 1st and a prospect
Jossi can be extended in July and I would wager that he’d want maximum money given the contract he’s coming off of.

PK because he was dealt before his ntc kicked in, can no trade protection. Can be moved anywhere. And is. RHD.

So basically in the end the Preds are trading Subban to duchene. They are simply swapping out prospects.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
you should pay attn to the matchups. Subban gets all the tough minutes against the opponents top line. Josi paring gets easy minutes. This is why Josi folds in the playoffs - there are no easy minutes in the post season

I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of the quality of competition metric because I personally don’t believe it’s all that useful and it’s more or less splitting hairs unless there is a massive difference between the two. But it is useful if used correctly.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Trying to comment some of the posts from last two pages. Please remember that the basis for this thread is that Nashville has acquired and extended Duchene and Fabbro has signed a deal.

P.K. definitely is a excellent hockey player but in my opinion Nashville has to move his contract while he still holds value. Trading players is after all asset management and in the cap world getting the maximized value is really important in the long run if you want to avoid full rebuild.

Some of the Oilers deals look tempting to me. Larsson and Bouchard are good pieces but the Oilers need of dumping cap has to happen in some other trade. No way we can take Lucic contract.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad