Confirmed with Link: P.J. Axelsson retires from hockey

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
One of my favorite Bruins and one of the best defensive forwards the team has seen in recent years. Hope he enjoys a well-deserved retirement.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Axe was an excellent Bruin. He wore the black and gold proudly .

I always thought the B's should have done something for PJ when he left.

He did the B's proud and has a special place in our hockey hearts.

pie19

Aug 23, 2006
Billerica
If we could have gotten a 2013 version of PJ to play left wing on line 3, that problem would've been solved. This guy worked hard and played smart for us thru good and bad times. Wish they could have a night for him. (And NO not to retire #11!)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He was my favorite Bruin. I'm not sure if anybody has overtaken that mantle yet. Miss his awkward outfits and interviews, as well as the way he would pick off passes like he had mental telepathy.

Definitely a favorite. He was one of those unsung guys that do the little things well.

Gumby, remember that? Good luck to him,

:handclap:

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
I always was a great fan of his. Such a loyal player to the Bruins and a great one too. The Bruins should hire PJ as a scout for Europe:)

PrideOfBoston

Jul 12, 2009
Pebben is awesome.

I was fortunate enough to have met him a few times while he played for the Bruins and after the first time he always remembered me. I even wrote to the Frolunda Indians once and he mailed me a reply back with a couple of items including a signed replica jersey for my better half.

This past December I was in Goteborg and got to watch him play one last time and got to see him after the game. He truly is as nice as they come.

On a side note, the game in Sweden that I got to watch him play was against the Yeti :)
I was rocking my B's jersey and he saw me during warmups. Perhaps it reminded him that the Bruins still existed and helped him decide to join us ;)

Best of luck Pebben!

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Good luck in life P.J. you didn't deserve the heckling you got from us Bruins fans but we are a fickle bunch. One Swed retires and one Swed signs, what are the odds.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Good luck PJ!! I hope the Bruins bring him over to give him a proper send off.

PJ was a classy Bruins, A great soldier and appreciate by most fans.
The Bruins organisation will certainly do something.

BlacknGold Barbarino

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
PJ was a classy Bruins, A great soldier and appreciate by most fans.
The Bruins organisation will certainly do something.

Once he was gone, sure. While he was here, not so much. He occupied the Pandolfo/Ryder/Wideman/etc. whipping boy role for ages. And much like Ryder, there seems to be a collective amnesia about fan attitudes toward him. Perhaps that should serve as a warning that picking out one or two guys as the source of all that is bad is, well, just silly.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Once he was gone, sure. While he was here, not so much. He occupied the Pandolfo/Ryder/Wideman/etc. whipping boy role for ages.

More like the Paille role, I think.

Bashed at times and given very little slack...but usually just dismissed by detractors as an easily replaced "stone hander" who should be ditched in favor of the 25 goal bottom six winger that hits, fights and costs under 1.3m. :rolleyes:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Nothing has been decided on that front.

Frölunda execs has stated that they would love to see him working for them in some function.

But if that's what PJ wants and with what, on what level and how much is totally open.

So he might very well end up doing some work for Bruins instead or as well.

Bring him over to replace Ward:laugh:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
"It wasn't an easy decision to make, but now it's settled - I'm retiring from hockey."
"My body can't compete at this level anymore. I guess I'm getting old."
"It's gonna be empty. But I'm both proud and glad over what I've been apart of, like winning the olympics and the SEL. I've had the privilige to play for two great hockey teams, Frölunda Indians and Boston Bruins. My carrier has been filled with wonderful teammates and dedicated fans. "
"I'm grateful for the oppurtunity to play hockey at this level, grateful for all the great leaders and trainers I've had. I'm grateful for all the inspiring people I've met. It has been a wonderful and fun carrier."

To start with he's gonna have a long vacation. He will most likely get a job within the Frölunda Indians organisation in the future.

Swedish source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/frolunda/article16575365.ab

Nice video btw. That goal at home against STL was the game they lost late. I think Ryder had a real bad TO. That SO goal in Chicago was in 2008-09 that was an awesome goal and the SO winner.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
If we could have gotten a 2013 version of PJ to play left wing on line 3, that problem would've been solved. This guy worked hard and played smart for us thru good and bad times. Wish they could have a night for him. (And NO not to retire #11!)

I wonder if he has more left than Pandolfo? Can they resign him.lol.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Good Bruin, very smart hockey player. I wish him well.

loved the axe. his anticipatory steals were second to none. it's funny - the more i watch danny paille, the more he reminds me of an axelsson cousin. he's bigger and hits, but lots of similarities (including the lovable stone hands).

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Good Bruin, very smart hockey player. I wish him well.

Couldn't say it any better.

If his ability matched his hockey IQ, he'd be in a lot more avatars on this board.

I will always remember him fondly despite his tenure coinciding w/ a dark period for the B's.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Once he was gone, sure. While he was here, not so much. He occupied the Pandolfo/Ryder/Wideman/etc. whipping boy role for ages. And much like Ryder, there seems to be a collective amnesia about fan attitudes toward him. Perhaps that should serve as a warning that picking out one or two guys as the source of all that is bad is, well, just silly.

That's why i said most fans... The idiots were only a few at the time, Now they are growing in numbers rapidly... stupidity is spreading faster now a days.

FTOREKBENCHTOSS

Mar 11, 2013
Bring on axelson night! Feel bad for the way it ended he was definitely one of those players you don't appreciate till he is gone. It was fun watching him and roloston dominate on the PK together.

BlacknGold Barbarino

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
More like the Paille role, I think.

Bashed at times and given very little slack...but usually just dismissed by detractors as an easily replaced "stone hander" who should be ditched in favor of the 25 goal bottom six winger that hits, fights and costs under 1.3m. :rolleyes:

Paille is probably the best current comparison. Doesn't do the things that show up in the box score, but a genuine difference-maker in so many other ways. Axelsson's otherworldly ability to pick off passes was just crazy.

Ah yes, I remember the search for the tough-guy third liner who could pot 20+ goals. Then Isbister happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad