Confirmed with Link: P.J. Axelsson retires from hockey

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
"It wasn't an easy decision to make, but now it's settled - I'm retiring from hockey."
"My body can't compete at this level anymore. I guess I'm getting old."
"It's gonna be empty. But I'm both proud and glad over what I've been apart of, like winning the olympics and the SEL. I've had the privilige to play for two great hockey teams, Frölunda Indians and Boston Bruins. My carrier has been filled with wonderful teammates and dedicated fans. "
"I'm grateful for the oppurtunity to play hockey at this level, grateful for all the great leaders and trainers I've had. I'm grateful for all the inspiring people I've met. It has been a wonderful and fun carrier."

To start with he's gonna have a long vacation. He will most likely get a job within the Frölunda Indians organisation in the future.

Swedish source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/frolunda/article16575365.ab

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
Northeast
He was my favorite Bruin. I'm not sure if anybody has overtaken that mantle yet. Miss his awkward outfits and interviews, as well as the way he would pick off passes like he had mental telepathy.

skullguise

Nov 13, 2007
North Andover, MA
Good luck to PJ! It's too bad there were some potentially hurt feelings, he would have been good to work in the Bruins organization to help scout and work with the Scandanavian countries and teams....

Always loved his attitude and work ethic here, even if he didn't put out the offensive output we'd wanted. To me, he was a consummate Bruin at heart.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I posted this in the other thread before it got locked.

I'll always remember him for the goal that got disallowed against the Caps in the 1998 playoffs.

The guy was one of the best players at intercepting passes on the PK.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As I posted in the other PJ thread- he is and will remain my favorite Bruin. He played the game with intelligence, toughness and honor. I wish him the very best in retirement.

Too bad Axe is going to work for Frolunda, I would have loved to see him scouting for the Bruins.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I remember his first few seasons when he got the Gumby nickname...

...barreling down the left wing puck out in front and constantly getting plastered against the wall and somehow slip through it?

It was like he had the ability to turn to liquid for an instant.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
He is one of the guys I miss watching the most. Loved seeing what DM called his 'telepathy'. Nice guy, hard worker, did his job.

Congrats on a fantastic career PJ and best of luck with everything life has to offer after the game.

Cheers

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Good luck PJ!! I hope the Bruins bring him over to give him a proper send off.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I remember his first few seasons when he got the Gumby nickname...

...barreling down the left wing puck out in front and constantly getting plastered against the wall and somehow slip through it?

It was like he had the ability to turn to liquid for an instant.

Agree 100%. PJ was one of my favorite Bruin players and one of the toughest to ever wear the jersey. You cant get hit as often and as hard as he did and get right back up and at it unless your pain threshold is off the charts.
Good luck PJ in all you do , no classier a player in my mind.
Markus in Mineville.

Aucoin11*

great player. Unfortunately, spent his last few years being berated and bashed by bruins fans for literally no reason at all.

Soderberg

Mar 29, 2011
Happy retirement P.J.! I was happy to hear he was gonna go to one of the Bruins playoff games in 2011.
83850871.jpg

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Top 3 all time favorite Bruin. That line of pj savvy muzz was very underrated. If they had come together five years earlier, that would have been magic.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Too bad Axe is going to work for Frolunda, I would have loved to see him scouting for the Bruins.

Nothing has been decided on that front.

Frölunda execs has stated that they would love to see him working for them in some function.

But if that's what PJ wants and with what, on what level and how much is totally open.

So he might very well end up doing some work for Bruins instead or as well.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
About two years too late, even though he improved slightly since moving to center for the 2011-12 season. At times he looked really disinterested and even lazy, probably due to fatigue. Because as you know, he definitely wasn't a lazy player in the past.

Aucoin11*

About two years too late, even though he improved slightly since moving to center for the 2011-12 season. At times he looked really disinterested and even lazy, probably due to fatigue. Because as you know, he definitely wasn't a lazy player in the past.

And the bashing continues.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
He was a good defensive forward. He had great speed and yes he could intercept passes with great anticipation. fair well PJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->