Rumor: Ozhiganov

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
We have nobody at RHD depth after Zaitsev. Liljgren is still 19 years old and we can't rely on him until he is completely ready.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak/Ozhiganov

Next season we need some plan for who is going to play on the right hand side after Hainsey is let go. We could see how Ozhiganov does and see if he could be moved up further in the lineup. We really have very little options and it wouldn't hurt to see how he does.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Certainly a response that lacks any kind of analysis and thought.

So, you are comfortable allocating $6 million + in Cap space to Gardiner on a 6-7 year term? Or letting him walk as a UFA with nothing to show?

While our Right side is a tire fire? You do appreciate, that if we traded Gardiner, we would likely be making trades to shore up the Right side D?

If he's willing to sign a 6M×6 deal I'd happily do that on July 1st

I like how it's just a given we can get a good top 4 RD, if it was that easy we'd have already done it

We currently have 2 genuine top 4D on this team and you want to trade one of them, we need to add defensemen not trade good ones we've already got

What if he is packaged for an upgrade?

He's got one year left on his deal what do you actually think you can get for him? considering he's got to be run out of town according to this fan base

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I like how it's just a given we can get a good top 4 RD, if it was that easy we'd have already done it

We currently have 2 genuine top 4D on this team and you want to trade one of them, we need to add defensemen not trade good ones we've already got

He's got one year left on his deal what do you actually think you can get for him? considering he's got to be run out of town according to this fan base
That would depend on what he's packaged with.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
May God have mercy on your soul

Who's he replacing on the PP, Rielly or Gardiner? We run one Dman on our PP units and those two are really good

I just hope he's able to pass the puck without icing the damn thing
You know polaks icing/60 was way down this year.
Ozghi will probably be the polak replacement if his game translates, with more puck skills
Bottom pair borgman and ozghi has potential

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

If we don't obtain any RHD upgrades, to improve the team, I'd completely agree with you, yes, we would need to keep him.

But, the Status Quo is not going to result in this team becoming Cup Contenders, and I'd have to think that the management are going to do what it takes, to change that. Gardiner is a very good D, and marketable trade piece, that would allow us to upgrade our OVERALL D. Dermott doesn't have Gardiner's offensive skills, but he certainly as good on the D side, and will be a capable top 4 D as well.

Yes, we need to add.. but it's going to come at the cost of a subtraction to. In my estimate, we need two RHD upgrades in, and one LHD out.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That would depend on what he's packaged with.

If you want a top 4 RD that's actually decent it's going to cost Gardiner + something major (potentially being worth more than Gardiner)

You know polaks icing/60 was way down this year.
Ozghi will probably be the polak replacement if his game translates, with more puck skills
Bottom pair borgman and ozghi has potential

I'm hopeful that the bottom pair will be Dermott and Hainsey/Zaitsev

Rielly New Dude
Gardiner Zaitsev/Hainsey
Dermott Hainsey/Zaitsev

That would probably cut our icings/60 in half

If we don't obtain any RHD upgrades, to improve the team, I'd completely agree with you, yes, we would need to keep him.

But, the Status Quo is not going to result in this team becoming Cup Contenders, and I'd have to think that the management are going to do what it takes, to change that. Gardiner is a very good D, and marketable trade piece, that would allow us to upgrade our OVERALL D. Dermott doesn't have Gardiner's offensive skills, but he certainly as good on the D side, and will be a capable top 4 D as well.

Yes, we need to add.. but it's going to come at the cost of a subtraction to. In my estimate, we need two RHD upgrades in, and one LHD out.

Dermott is a kid who hasn't played a full season in the NHL yet and he's supposed to carry Zaitsev around on the second pair?

If you want to improve the D trading Gardiner is a complete no go, we need to add to Rielly Gardiner Zaitsev and Dermott not subtract and stay the same or become worse which will probably happen because Gardiner is bloody good

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Hmm..
I've been sceptical of Oz, but looked into it and what some posters are saying seemed to be true.
As soon as his connection was made to sign with Toronto, his ice time seems to have dropped significantly.

2016-17 season: 17:32
2016-17 playoffs: 15:37
2017-18 season: 14:15
2017-18 playoffs: 9:11

No wonder his stats have tanked. He's down over 3 minutes a game of regular season TOI and down almost half from last season to this year's playoffs.

Russian "coaching" at it again?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you want a top 4 RD that's actually decent it's going to cost Gardiner + something major (potentially being worth more than Gardiner)

Obviously.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I'm hopeful that the bottom pair will be Dermott and Hainsey/Zaitsev

Rielly New Dude
Gardiner Zaitsev/Hainsey
Dermott Hainsey/Zaitsev

That would probably cut our icings/60 in half

Dermott is a kid who hasn't played a full season in the NHL yet and he's supposed to carry Zaitsev around on the second pair?

If you want to improve the D trading Gardiner is a complete no go, we need to add to Rielly Gardiner Zaitsev and Dermott not subtract and stay the same or become worse which will probably happen because Gardiner is bloody good
I'm thinking it's easier to inch up dermotts minutes and decrease Hainseys toi than finding a 1st pairing rhd to play with rielly

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
2017-18 CSKA Moskva - KHL .. 42 games 2 goals 7 assist 9 points.

Do we really want this guy as he appeared to be 1 year wonder and as a previously undrafted soon to be 26 year old by season start?

There has to be better options to improve the Leafs than turning these kinds of stones over. IMO

But Mess...he's BIG and MEAN. Your dream prospect.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I'm thinking it's easier to inch up dermotts minutes and decrease Hainseys toi than finding a 1st pairing rhd to play with rielly
Im hoping thats the the case but Babcock road Hainsey all year until he burned him out and it arguably cost the Leafs a series.

Do we think he does it any differently unless Dubas brings in another traditional minute logger.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Im hoping thats the the case but Babcock road Hainsey all year until he burned him out and it arguably cost the Leafs a series.

Do we think he does it any differently unless Dubas brings in another traditional minute logger.
I think Dermott earned a lot of trust this year. I mean he was used to pk more and more as time passed. I hope that is a sign that next year he gets more minutes hence easing Hainseys load

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
From my understanding is he is a Big, Physical, RHD that can skate. Exactly what we need. As long as his D game is decent I really don't care to much what he does offensively.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Obviously.

Trading that much value out for what would basically be a lateral move is pointless and we're no better still

Probably, but getting a partner for Rielly should be the first priority and if that's not possible trading/signing for a top 4 RD and trying defense by committee then Dermott inches up the line-up, that's my last resort

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Trading that much value out for what would basically be a lateral move is pointless and we're no better still

I don't follow. Are you suggesting that it's not possible to upgrade on Gardiner?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't follow. Are you suggesting that it's not possible to upgrade on Gardiner?

I'd like to know who you thinks available that's better than Gardiner? Or a defenseman That's been traded recently that's better than Gardiner and what the cost was?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Probably, but getting a partner for Rielly should be the first priority and if that's not possible trading/signing for a top 4 RD and trying defense by committee then Dermott inches up the line-up, that's my last resort
I would rather not spend the assets yet. Free wallets ok, but that's still a crap shoot.
I also think Z will have a better year. Injury sickness and first time dad are quite the stumbling blocks for a sophomore player

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'd like to know who you thinks available that's better than Gardiner? Or a defenseman That's been traded recently that's better than Gardiner and what the cost was?
I have no idea who will be available this summer. Does it really matter? I sense that you don't think an upgrade on Gardiner is possible.
Perhaps it's Rielly thats moved with Nyalnder and Gardiner is re-signed.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I would rather not spend the assets yet. Free wallets ok, but that's still a crap shoot.
I also think Z will have a better year. Injury sickness and first time dad are quite the stumbling blocks for a sophomore player

I don't share your confidence in Zaitsev but I hope he makes me eat crow next season

We should have been looking at a guy like Demers who was going cheap last off-season and try to load up the bottom pair (Dermott Demers) and giving defense by committee a shot but we don't seem interested in that idea either

I'm willing to wait this out and try to draft and develop our way into a quality defensive core but when your giving up 2nd's at the TDL every year that's counterproductive to that strategy

I have no idea who will be available this summer. Does it really matter? I sense that you don't think an upgrade on Gardiner is possible.
Perhaps it's Rielly thats moved with Nyalnder and Gardiner is re-signed.

Unless we're moving Matthew's Marner or Rielly we're not getting a defenseman better than Gardiner, or completely gutting the organisation like Gardiner + Nylander which are at best lateral moves that don't make us better

Gardiner is a 50 point puck moving defenseman That's carrying our 2nd pair and playing a ton of even strength minutes, he's bloody good

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
From what I've seen of him, I'm rather skeptical about his ability to be an effective well-rounded NHL defenseman. I had a feeling that he would struggle with the speed and tempo. Then again, I also thought that Zaitsev would handle these things very well. I loved his decision making and outlet passing as a KHL player, so what do I know.
I loved his decision making and outlet passes last year in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad