Rumor: Ozhiganov

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Doubt he is used in the AHL, because the Leafs don't need RHD down there.

I still think ideally he makes Carrick expendable and becomes the 7th defenseman with the ability to step into the lineup. I think he PK's so he could give Hainsey some breaks and properly replace Polak.

However I am not so sure if he's the only answer on defense if he just directly replaces Polak and does nothing else.
Moreso trying to get people to damper their immediate expectations. This is not a solution to our defensive issues.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Meh. Can't hurt other than the contract spot.
Gotta take some swings to fix the trainwreck on the back end.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not even surprised with that kind of treatment if they knew he was leaving the team in a year.

I think you still go with what he's done as a whole and give him a chance. Adding depth to a position of weakness doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Possibly a better Polak replacement?
The biggest thing I'm worried about now is how to say his name properly.

Sounds more like an offensive guy, than a Polak... Not as reliable in his own end as Zaitsev was in KHL, but stronger, more physical... a bomb of a shot.... measured at 99.09 mph in the KHL skills competition.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
2017-18 CSKA Moskva - KHL .. 42 games 2 goals 7 assist 9 points.

Do we really want this guy as he appeared to be 1 year wonder and as a previously undrafted soon to be 26 year old by season start?

There has to be better options to improve the Leafs than turning these kinds of stones over. IMO

Meh, might as well sign him. At the very least, it will piss Don Cherry off, and that's always a good thing.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Nikita Kucherov is a fan... thats enough to convince me... If he signs with us, it'll be a 1 yrs ELC deal... its a Low Risk, Low to High Reward move.

Interviewer: Could you persuade Steve Yzerman to take Nikita Gusev to Tampa?
Kucherov: I always say this to the Lightning; not only about Gusev, but about Igor Ozhiganov too. It’s not about our friendship. Both are great players, they could help Tampa to win a Stanley Cup. I wouldn’t have recommended them if they weren’t able to. By the way, I spoke to them about taking their chances in the NHL. It’s an opportunity to play against the best players in the world. We have known each other since childhood, it would be great to win the Stanley Cup together.
Toronto Maple Leafs are looking at Nikita Kucherov’s friend Igor Ozhiganov

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Zaitsev has always been better and look how people have turned on him. Don't expect much although I hope they are sure he can handle bottom pair RHD because that would mean Polak isn't coming back

Don't get your hopes up Walshy

I'm convinced Polak will still be playing for the Leafs after we're all dead and buried

Reactions: Al14

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Friedman said he committed to signing with the Leafs but nothing official yet.

He had a really bad season from what I read though and maybe the Leafs pulled their offer? Who knows.

Either way, we might hear something soon or after the World Championships.
I saw him couple of times last season. He was solid in those outings.

Reactions: Anthrax442

horner

May 22, 2007
2017-18 CSKA Moskva - KHL .. 42 games 2 goals 7 assist 9 points.

Do we really want this guy as he appeared to be 1 year wonder and as a previously undrafted soon to be 26 year old by season start?

There has to be better options to improve the Leafs than turning these kinds of stones over. IMO
Its a free wallet.if he auck ahl or go home.
Dont think he would come if he thought he woul suck.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sounds more like an offensive guy, than a Polak... Not as reliable in his own end as Zaitsev was in KHL, but stronger, more physical... a bomb of a shot.... measured at 99.09 mph in the KHL skills competition.

That is good. We need somebody with a bomb from the point on the PP.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
From what I've seen of him, I'm rather skeptical about his ability to be an effective well-rounded NHL defenseman. I had a feeling that he would struggle with the speed and tempo. Then again, I also thought that Zaitsev would handle these things very well. I loved his decision making and outlet passing as a KHL player, so what do I know.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
May God have mercy on your soul

Who's he replacing on the PP, Rielly or Gardiner? We run one Dman on our PP units and those two are really good

I just hope he's able to pass the puck without icing the damn thing

Gardiner is likely gone anyway....

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Only a lunatic would think trading our 2nd best defenseman is a good idea unless we're tanking again

Are we tanking again?

Certainly a response that lacks any kind of analysis and thought.

So, you are comfortable allocating $6 million + in Cap space to Gardiner on a 6-7 year term? Or letting him walk as a UFA with nothing to show?

While our Right side is a tire fire? You do appreciate, that if we traded Gardiner, we would likely be making trades to shore up the Right side D?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
May God have mercy on your soul

Who's he replacing on the PP, Rielly or Gardiner? We run one Dman on our PP units and those two are really good

I just hope he's able to pass the puck without icing the damn thing

True at the moment, but as Babs says let's see where we are next year. Amen to not icing the damn puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00