Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Why unload last year and then stand pat this year with a clearly weaker team? Makes no sense.
I agree that we should be building around the young guys and looking a few years down the road.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
If the team was going younger, why the hell then is #6 Seed sitting in the stands?
Number 1 pick in the 02 draft and he isn't even dressing.
With DD saying #27 Dudas and #33 Lyle are staying in Owen Sound looks like another year of mediocracy to me.
But we just needed to trade away our last seasons top guys right?
No real direction here, that's a fact!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
If the team was going younger, why the hell then is #6 Seed sitting in the stands?
Number 1 pick in the 02 draft and he isn't even dressing.
With DD saying #27 Dudas and #33 Lyle are staying in Owen Sound looks like another year of mediocracy to me.
But we just needed to trade away our last seasons top guys right?
No real direction here, that's a fact!
Seed may be sick . Pearson was last night.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Why unload last year and then stand pat this year with a clearly weaker team? Makes no sense.
I agree that we should be building around the young guys and looking a few years down the road.
With a week till trade deadline, there appears no plan in place moving forward.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants Degray canned.. I’ve been saying it for a couple years now that he is a terrible gm. Who honestly cares about 30 win seasons, fans only care about championships...

Reactions: Attackfan72

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants Degray canned.. I’ve been saying it for a couple years now that he is a terrible gm. Who honestly cares about 30 win seasons, fans only care about championships...
My thoughts EXACTLY!!! :thumbu:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Would appear that Attack brass would rather not play in the bidding war of the dead-line this season, then get stuck in the insanity of the deal front.

Don't really blame DD for not wanting to get stuck in the overpaying bidding war of the deadline. I believe what we see now will be what will see past the 10th. Unless something crazy happens between now and the 10th we have are roster set.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Pre-trade deadline story from the ST:

Quiet trade deadline expected in Owen Sound

Sounds like DD is going to stand pat with the high-end veterans (Dudas, Lyle), but acknowledges there are too many 2000's on the roster and seems open to moving some of them if the right opportunity comes along.

Two criteria for trades this year: Not getting older and not adding more bodies without moving some out.

He is bang on when he talks about it being a tale of two teams so far this season, and suggests the team needs to look inwardly to figure it out. I agree with his comment that the Attack's game can be as good as any other team's if the Attack are playing well.

Some specific comments about two players in particular, including Seed. Seed is a guy whom I have felt for a while may go the way of Mitch Russell like last year. Sedley has, IMO, played just as well as Seed. Often we dress 7 defensemen; I think Sedley has shown that he is too good to leave out of the lineup, while they also dress Seed to give him every opportunity to show development. Seed was getting some time on the 2nd PP unit for a while. I agree with DD about not wanting the team to get older, so if there is another high-end pick from 2017 out there who isn't working out, maybe a trade for Seed would be good to give them each player a fresh start with a new team. I would rather not want to see us get older like in the Russell deal (we got back an older player in McMaster, which is contributing to our glut of 2000's). Again, just my own thoughts.

Should be a quieter few days leading up to the deadline than it was last year.

Reactions: Millpond

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017

Would appear that Attack brass would rather not play in the bidding war of the dead-line this season, then get stuck in the insanity of the deal front.

Don't really blame DD for not wanting to get stuck in the overpaying bidding war of the deadline. I believe what we see now will be what will see past the 10th. Unless something crazy happens between now and the 10th we have are roster set.

If we have the assets.......and there is a bidding war.........we should stay out of the mix?

Reactions: HockeyPops

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
If we have the assets.......and there is a bidding war.........we should stay out of the mix?

I believe DD isn't interested in over-paying in the deadline bidding war or at least that's the impression from Greg Cowan's article ahead of dead-line day. With only a few big pieces to play in the dead-line it would seen DD isn't interested in giving up top guys this year. Not to also count there really only 2-3 guys teams want and DD has made it clear he won't move them.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Pre-trade deadline story from the ST:

Quiet trade deadline expected in Owen Sound

Sounds like DD is going to stand pat with the high-end veterans (Dudas, Lyle), but acknowledges there are too many 2000's on the roster and seems open to moving some of them if the right opportunity comes along.

Two criteria for trades this year: Not getting older and not adding more bodies without moving some out.

He is bang on when he talks about it being a tale of two teams so far this season, and suggests the team needs to look inwardly to figure it out. I agree with his comment that the Attack's game can be as good as any other team's if the Attack are playing well.

Some specific comments about two players in particular, including Seed. Seed is a guy whom I have felt for a while may go the way of Mitch Russell like last year. Sedley has, IMO, played just as well as Seed. Often we dress 7 defensemen; I think Sedley has shown that he is too good to leave out of the lineup, while they also dress Seed to give him every opportunity to show development. Seed was getting some time on the 2nd PP unit for a while. I agree with DD about not wanting the team to get older, so if there is another high-end pick from 2017 out there who isn't working out, maybe a trade for Seed would be good to give them each player a fresh start with a new team. I would rather not want to see us get older like in the Russell deal (we got back an older player in McMaster, which is contributing to our glut of 2000's). Again, just my own thoughts.

Should be a quieter few days leading up to the deadline than it was last year.

I think Mitch Russell was always a good player and probably drafted in the right spot. When Dale let Todd Gill go and cited a 'lack of development' for young players, Nolan Seed and specifically, Mitch Russell was the reason IMO. For whatever reason Todd never played him, he goes elsewhere and is the player everyone expected when he was drafted.

Positive is now it seems the coaches are way more apt to playing and giving opportunities to youth then the previous coach. The group of Lawrence, Goure, Burroughs, Samanski, Sedley and even Chenard all had moments Saturday. Exciting group to see moving forward.

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
I believe DD isn't interested in over-paying in the deadline bidding war or at least that's the impression from Greg Cowan's article ahead of dead-line day. With only a few big pieces to play in the dead-line it would seen DD isn't interested in giving up top guys this year. Not to also count there really only 2-3 guys teams want and DD has made it clear he won't move them.
We have the assets..........to sell.......we would be the payee.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
I’m done with this organization if they don’t trade Dudas and Lyle and finish 7-8 and get pounded in the first round... or even missing the playoffs and not adding draft picks and having a top 5 pick in the draft at worst.

Reactions: Millpond

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

I believe the owners of the team do, to be fair. Making the playoffs keeps the team profitable, which keeps the team in Owen Sound. I'm not an accountant, but I think 'being competitive' is the only way they can keep the lights on...may not be fair to the fans from time to time, but it may be the realities in which they operate.

Personally, I prefer the fact that we know we get a team that shows up and plays well for the most part every year vs team like Peterborough and Sudbury who really only have strong teams once in a blue moon, but that's me. I remember what the Attack where most of the 90s when it was life and death to make the playoffs most years, that was much worse.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm actually shocked that OS is not considering moving either/or 1 of Dudas or Lyle. Maybe keep 1 but keep both and lose them at the end of the year is an odd way to enter the deadline. Is OS that flush with draft picks or being a middle of the pack team for the next 5 years an option that is being considered? This seems to be really odd from where I'm looking but then I'm no where near close to what you guys know about this team.

Another thought maybe DD is just putting that out there to drive up the price and he really does intend on moving one of them but is playing it this way to drive up the supply and demand price?

Reactions: Noofgoof

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Another thought maybe DD is just putting that out there to drive up the price and he really does intend on moving one of them but is playing it this way to drive up the supply and demand price?
I had this thought but Dale is usually pretty honest and I feel like Hes not bluffing unfortunately.. I hope Im wrong

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
There were rumours that the Attack were interested in Kyen Sopa, but Niagara has announced that they traded Sopa to Erie. Midwest just got a bit tougher.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't think there is much market for Lyle, or any OA TBH. Dudas though boggles the mind. As did Frost last year...

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
There were rumours that the Attack were interested in Kyen Sopa, but Niagara has announced that they traded Sopa to Erie. Midwest just got a bit tougher.
He's 19 yr import, isn't he ?
He's exactly what the Attack doesn't need this year.

Reactions: Noofgoof
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad