Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With camp right around the corner should be interesting to see the young talent coming into rookie camp Monday.

(Camp dates and times listed below)

Will certainly be interesting to what camp holds, there seems to be a lot of interesting prospects in the later rounds from the past draft in April. The interesting prospect that stood out among the 2019 draft class stats wise was 10th rounder Tyler Hotson.

Could be a gem in this years draft class after playing last season with the London Jr. Knights with 12 goals and 36 assists with the Jr. Knights. However until you see what these kids can do in camp stats only give a rough gauge on what they can bring into camp. The obvious standouts will always be those top 3-4 picked kids but its those later rounds guys like Hotson maybe a gem out of camp.

Will be interesting Monday and Tuesday who stands out on the ice, but statistically Hotson and Lindsay could be interesting prospects keep an eye on during rookie camp. Goure and Burroughs should be locks to make the team this year being picks 1 and 2 out of the draft.

All on-ice training camp sessions are open to the public and the schedule can be found below:

ROOKIE CAMP (AUGUST 26-27, 2019)

MONDAY, AUGUST 26TH, 2019

9:00am-9:50am

Team 1 Practice

10:15am-11:30am

Team 1 vs. Team 2 Scrimmage

11:40am-12:40pm

Team 2 Practice

3:00pm-4:30pm

Team 2 vs. Team 1 Scrimmage

TUESDAY, AUGUST 27TH, 2019

Team 2 Practice

10:15am-11:30am

11:40am-12:30pm

Team 1 Practice
3:00pm-4:30pm

MAIN CAMP (AUGUST 28-30, 2019)

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28TH, 2019

1:30pm-2:50pm
Team 1 Practice
3:00pm-4:20pm
Team 2 Practice

THURSDAY, AUGUST 29TH, 2019

9:00am-10:00am

Team 1 Practice

10:10am-11:10am

11:20am-12:20pm

Team 2 Practice

3:00pm-4:20pm

FRIDAY, AUGUST 30TH, 2019

Team 2 Practice

10am-10:50am

11:00am-11:50am

Team 1 Practice
6:00pm-7:20pm
RED vs. White Scrimmage
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Could this be opening lineup ?

Popov- Dudas- Niznikov

Groulx-Kirwin-McMaster

Phillip- Pearson-Robinson

Machacek-Goure-Burroughs

Stroub-Lawrence-Wilson-Caruk-Samanski-Waters

Lyle-Wooley
Robertson-Chibrikov
Seed-Perrott
Sedley

Mclean-Guzda

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
anyone think Nathan Small could take the 7 spot on D? dominated major midget this season and looked real good the games I saw him APing for Komoka. very good skater

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Am I missing something here?
- The website roster has #25 Lawrence (does this mean #25 Robinson released)?
- The Attack website has no #22 McMaster listed on the pre-season roster (is this an oversight)?
- Millpond, you have no #11 Groulx listed on your projected roster.
- I agree that #12 Caruk may not have a roster spot after training camp.
- It will be interesting to see how the 2 new Imports may fit into this years roster.
- There will be a heated battle for the 7'th D position from all the training camp attendees
- We may see a goaltending change sometime soon, not sure the team will have two/01's rostered again.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
- The Attack website has no #22 McMaster listed on the pre-season roster (is this an oversight)?
- It will be interesting to see how the 2 new Imports may fit into this years roster.
- There will be a heated battle for the 7'th D position from all the training camp attendees.

They just assign numbers to players in camp by no means they will have the same number on season opener.

The other possibility is that someone has changed their number. I know for a fact that's what happened when the team brought in Lyle. He was 3 in North Bay then changed to 33 in Owen Sound.

The other possibility is that they only have the rookies on the site and have yet to add the other names yet which in that case would be an oversight.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Rookie camp kicks off tomorrow, the wait is finally over from the long off-season.

There should be some standouts right out of camp especially Goure and Burroughs along with some surprises as there always are in rookie camp the day of seeing the future of the team is apon us.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
anyone think Nathan Small could take the 7 spot on D? dominated major midget this season and looked real good the games I saw him APing for Komoka. very good skater

There's always a need for a solid depth on the defensive side of the game, training camp is a chance to show what these kids can bring to the team and the league. Small was touted as a top defender in his OHL draft year.

Small could be that 7th defender this season as an older prospect, if his showing is good in camp he'll make it hard for the team not to keep him around in camp for main camp, with a solid blue-line returning to the club there's going to be some stiff competition on the backend.

Without adding a 7th man the blue-line could look like this

Lyle - Woolley

Robertson - Chibrikov/Perrott

Seed- Chibrikov/Perrott

I have no doubt in my mind the team will add a 7th man to guard the blue-line however it all depends upon how and who steps up in camp. At this point in the season everything resets to a blank sheet of possibilities of a lineup.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
What about Josh Samanski that was signed? He'll have to figure into the mix somewhere.

Oops, I forgot him .

Despite the fact there's a lot of turnover, I don't see a lot of spots available.
Someone is going to have to really light things up in camp .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
- There will be a heated battle for the 7'th D position from all the training camp attendees
- We may see a goaltending change sometime soon, not sure the team will have two/01's rostered again.
Groulx.
Well there's another one. And Caruk .

Things even tighter than I thought .
Should be some real battles in camp.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
LWsCRW LDRD G
Adam McMaster Aidan DudasDaylon Groulx Mark WoolleyBrady Lyle Mack Guzda
Matthew PhilipBarret KirwinKaleb Pearson Carter Robertson Andrew Perrott Andrew MacLean
Sergey Popov Griffen WilsonKirill Nizhnikov Nolan SeedSam Sedley Ben VanWaterschoot
Stepan MachacekDeni GoureJulian Straub Igor Chibrikov
Brody WatersJoshua SamanskiCade Robinson Nathan Small
Ayden LetangBryce CarukEthan Burroughs Jack Guvenal
Kaleb Lawrence Ryan Stansel
Logan LeSage
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RED=OA
Orange = U18 draft
Yellow = Players looking for a spot
Purple is newly traded or go in a trade
Blue = Signed
Pink - Import
Lime green - a spot in jeopardy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Let me know how it looks :)

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
LWsCRWLDRDG
Adam McMaster Aidan DudasDaylon GroulxMark WoolleyBrady LyleMack Guzda
Matthew PhilipBarret KirwinKaleb Pearson Carter Robertson Andrew PerrottAndrew MacLean
Sergey Popov Griffen WilsonKirill NizhnikovNolan SeedSam SedleyBen VanWaterschoot
Stepan MachacekDeni GoureJulian StraubIgor Chibrikov
Brody WatersJoshua SamanskiCade RobinsonNathan Small
Kaleb LawrenceRyan Stansel
Logan LeSage
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RED=OA
Orange = U18 draft
Blue = Signed
Pink - Import
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Might want to use another font color then yellow or bright blue near impossible to read

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
LWsCRWLDRDG
Adam McMaster Aidan DudasDaylon GroulxMark WoolleyBrady LyleMack Guzda
Matthew PhilipBarret KirwinKaleb Pearson Carter Robertson Andrew PerrottAndrew MacLean
Sergey Popov Griffen WilsonKirill NizhnikovNolan SeedSam SedleyBen VanWaterschoot
Stepan MachacekDeni GoureJulian StraubIgor Chibrikov
Brody WatersJoshua SamanskiCade RobinsonNathan Small
Kaleb LawrenceRyan Stansel
Logan LeSage
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RED=OA
Orange = U18 draft
Blue = Signed
Pink - Import
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Shouldn't Mathews Phillips be purple= trade ?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Surprised the team has not posted a rookie camp roster on the website.
Looking forward to see if both or even one of the 2 Imports can have an immediate impact on the roster compared to the likes of Palmu and Sushko in recent years?

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Great news on Waters! I think he's an OHL talent so fingers crossed he signs.

Surprised the team has not posted a rookie camp roster on the website.
Looking forward to see if both or even one of the 2 Imports can have an immediate impact on the roster compared to the likes of Palmu and Sushko in recent years?

My expectations for the imports are pretty low. Machacek I could see being like Sushko based on the scouting report and numbers in the Czech junior league, it sounds like he has a well rounded and defensive minded game already.

Straub, coming from the German fourth tier with no national team experience, is the biggest wildcard at camp for me - and someone I'll be watching closely. Based on his pedigree, I would say he's far from a lock to make the team. He does have some valuable attributes, his size foremost among them.

But Sushko is a great example of the scouting report with some of these kids meaning nothing until they're here. Before he came over, Sushko's scouting report was all offence, couldn't locate his own blue line, with a lot of the Eastern European stereotypes thrown in. When he got here, he played a mature 200 foot game for a 17 year old, and was killing penalties throughout his first season in Owen Sound.

Planning to take in the afternoon scrimmage today, since I have the day off. Excited for what should be a very competitive camp with so few spots up for grabs. I wouldn't be surprised to see several returning players knocked out of this lineup.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Sorry for the double post but I have to share some impressions from today's 3PM scrimmage.

The first being, with all of the players signed, and surely another couple to come, there are going to be some decisions needed at the bottom of the roster.

Kaleb Lawrence in particular was a standout today. Even though he's big and his skating is just alright, he absolutely dominated, and showed he has a set of hands and playmaking ability that make him valuable beyond his size. I can't see him not being signed.

He made a play basically every shift and his first pass to Samanski for the opening goal (who also looked solid), kick started a great afternoon.

Straub and Machacek both had Attack gear on so I assume they're signed. Straub in particular has some great tools, though of course he should be a top player out there as a 2001. Smooth skater, slick hands, and great size. Don't know how the team heard about this kid buried way down the German hockey ladder, but he looks like an OHLer to me.

Goure and Burroughs both had flashes where you see the skill.

Brody Waters also looked good, but given how deep the forward group is, and the number that have already been signed, I'm not sure he even makes the team.

I focused on the forwards knowing so many are signed already, plus the imports, so I didn't pay much attention to the defenders, but Hislop is a name to watch out for next year, he's small but really skilled, gives me Durzi vibes.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Day 1 of camp down saw some good young talent battle, out of the rookie class this year thus far.

From what I saw thus far into camp the prospects that stood out for me

Goalies

Latassa (17)

Skaters

Goure (16)
Samanski (17)
Waters (17)
Burroughs (16)
Machacek (17)
Lawrence (16)
O'Toole (17)
Cowan (17)

Day 2 is always the toughest for rookie camp I find as there is always those players who stand out on day 1 the toughest thing I find is that players on day 2 let-off of the intensity from day 1, this always poses the issue from a viewers perspective that player(s) when evaluating them on day 2 don't always show the same jump from day 1.

There will always be those guys that step up on day 2 that didn't on day 1. Right now I like the direction the rookies showed after day 1. Certainly will be interesting to see who continues to show well tomorrow on day 2 of rookie camp and who will make it to main camp Wednesday against the returning guys from last season. There's always a surprise or two on day 2 of rookie camp, and this year could see a lot of them with the talent pool from day 1.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
A few thoughts after Day 1 of Rookie Camp...

The 5 guys wearing official team equipment looked good. Enjoyed watching Samanski, he and Machacek seemed to have a good all-around game, they looked a bit more mature out there. Straub has good size, strong on the puck and hard to knock off. Burroughs and Groure, as mentioned previously, showed flashes of skill. Goure with the OT winner in the afternoon scrimmage.

Lawrence looked good, he certainly stands out for his size but also has surprising skill for a big guy. Still very raw overall, and his skating is perhaps what is holding him back a bit at this point, but that should come. Will be interesting to see if he cracks the roster.

A couple other guys who stood out to me we're Logan LeSage and Nathan Small, both on Team White. Small looks very poised out there, good positioning, doesn't seem to get rattled. He had a very slick feed to set up Goure for the OT winner yesterday afternoon. Very good candidate for the 7th D spot. thought in general looked just as good as some of the guys wearing Attack gear. The forward position is really, really tight.

Now for the first scrimmage of Day 2.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
McMaster is now listed in the preseason roster. Still no Robinson.

16 forwards now appear on the preseason roster, not including any possible additions such as Waters or Lesage. Definitely crowded up front!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->