Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
9 players released from Canada's selection camp.

Dudas remains with the team.

1 more cut still to come.

Canada makes nine cuts to WJC roster https://www.tsn.ca/1.1412293
One more to be cut assuming Noah Dobson and the other name escapes me are released from there NHL teams. Even then Aiden may be ok if he can go as I believe they have his role already mapped out for him and Dale Hunter is more than familiar with what he brings to the dance.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Also interesting to see that Josh Barnes is back in Ottawa, not in the USHL anymore. Have to wonder how much regret there is from their end on how things ended up. I can't see him showing up here, i can't see the Attack having interest in him either with how things have played out.

Josh Barnes
Joshua Barnes at eliteprospects.com

There was an opening on a line with Suzuki and Hancock, and I imagine he would have been given every opportunity to secure a spot there. He blew a year of development playing with crappy tier 2 players and now he’s not even cutting it in the USHL. One of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen a kid make and he’s suffering the consequences.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
There was an opening on a line with Suzuki and Hancock, and I imagine he would have been given every opportunity to secure a spot there. He blew a year of development playing with crappy tier 2 players and now he’s not even cutting it in the USHL. One of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen a kid make and he’s suffering the consequences.
Well at least he's getting an NCAA education. . Oh, wait a minute....
I'd have to think interest in his Ser ices is about nil in OHL.

Reactions: OSA

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Boy the Attack have really fallen hard off their horse...

Good effort tonight and a nice third period, but the worst discipline I have ever seen from the Attack. There could have been a lot more penalties called to be honest.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Good effort tonight and a nice third period, but the worst discipline I have ever seen from the Attack. There could have been a lot more penalties called to be honest.

Penalties :shakehead the officiating poor tonight plain and simple, that was plainly poor lots of missed a lot of obvious one that the Hounds got away with tons of non-calls that that were right in front of officials faces. Hard to get anything going when against the Hounds when you get phantom calls.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I suppose in another week we will have a very good idea of this team .

Approaching the halfway mark, I'd like to see Chenard get more starts. I understand that the coaches job is to win , but Guzda's mates have not been doing him any favours lately.

If the team is going to lose , ( they've proven that in spades since flirting with greatness in October), rest Guzda , so as not to burn him out and destroy his confidence. Let's see what a Chenard has got.

I'd trim the roster after Christmas. There's one rookie who has not played in almost two months. If the team has no confidence in him , get him playing time in junior a or b somewhere. They aren't doing anyone a favour right now .
It's been a long long time since we experienced this calibre of performance. I'm honestly baffled what to make of it.

The roster has a lot of rookies, and 4 16 yr olds. There's also 12-- 19 and 20 year olds.

This team should be better than they are showing . They continue to repeat the same things .

They're terribly close to last place in the west.

Do the four teams who miss playoffs pick 1 thru 4, or is it totally based on points ?

It would be a shame to miss the playoffs, and not get a top four pick .

I think that's where we are heading ...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I suppose in another week we will have a very good idea of this team .

Approaching the halfway mark, I'd like to see Chenard get more starts. I understand that the coaches job is to win , but Guzda's mates have not been doing him any favours lately.

If the team is going to lose , ( they've proven that in spades since flirting with greatness in October), rest Guzda , so as not to burn him out and destroy his confidence. Let's see what a Chenard has got.

I'd trim the roster after Christmas. There's one rookie who has not played in almost two months. If the team has no confidence in him , get him playing time in junior a or b somewhere. They aren't doing anyone a favour right now .
It's been a long long time since we experienced this calibre of performance. I'm honestly baffled what to make of it.

The roster has a lot of rookies, and 4 16 yr olds. There's also 12-- 19 and 20 year olds.

This team should be better than they are showing . They continue to repeat the same things .

They're terribly close to last place in the west.

Do the four teams who miss playoffs pick 1 thru 4, or is it totally based on points ?

It would be a shame to miss the playoffs, and not get a top four pick .

I think that's where we are heading ...
Bottom 4 pick first, not based on points until 5th pick. The bottom 4 do pick based on their points though.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Penalties :shakehead the officiating poor tonight plain and simple, that was plainly poor lots of missed a lot of obvious one that the Hounds got away with tons of non-calls that that were right in front of officials faces. Hard to get anything going when against the Hounds when you get phantom calls.

Whether the Greyhounds deserved more than 7 penalties is up for debate and I won't get into that. Look at the tripping call on Constantinou where he didn't touch the Attack player if you want a different perspective.

However, the notion that the Attack didn't deserve many their 10 penalties is not correct. The Lyle play was really dangerous and uncalled for. Perrott punched an unsuspecting player in the face during the middle of a play and also doled out a pretty vicious knee. The boarding penalty on Robertson will almost certainly be reviewed for a suspension. Players that are cross checked as they fall into the end boards have sustained some pretty serious injuries. That could have been really bad.

I understand fan perspectives can differ, but I was at the game and I vehemently disagree.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Whether the Greyhounds deserved more than 7 penalties is up for debate and I won't get into that. Look at the tripping call on Constantinou where he didn't touch the Attack player if you want a different perspective.

However, the notion that the Attack didn't deserve many their 10 penalties is not correct. The Lyle play was really dangerous and uncalled for. Perrott punched an unsuspecting player in the face during the middle of a play and also doled out a pretty vicious knee. The boarding penalty on Robertson will almost certainly be reviewed for a suspension. Players that are cross checked as they fall into the end boards have sustained some pretty serious injuries. That could have been really bad.

I understand fan perspectives can differ, but I was at the game and I vehemently disagree.

Agreed perspectives can differ on this board although I viewed the game and you can't argue the fact that there was marginal calls both ways like most OHL games.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Agreed perspectives can differ on this board although I viewed the game and you can't argue the fact that there was marginal calls both ways like most OHL games.

I had no serious complaints about the officiating as it compares to other games. I just don't think it was fair to blame them for the result of this particular game. The high number of calls was justified.

Edit: Here's comments from your coach

“We’re not helping ourselves and the refs aren’t going to help us. We have to find a way to be way more discipline as a team.”
Hill called the discipline “a big reason why we lost tonight.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear in the Woods

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

The Attack were authors of their own story tonight.

After what happened last night, you have to know anything near the goalie is gonna be called.

What's dissapointing to this fan is the fact the team was playing very well in October, then the bottom fell out.

Tonight's game is a template of their current slump. Play one period well enough to win, then thru a series of faux pas, hand the game to the opposition, by means of surrendering multiple goals.

That can in no way be attributed to officiating .

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I wouldn't have expected this type of play after the win in London on Sportsnet. That was a very convincing win against a good club, and it gave us a nice little 3-game W streak after home wins vs. Saginaw and Niagara. Things were looking really good, but now we're right back to previous losing ways.
The lack of forward momentum is disappointing.

If this is how things are going to be, I'd rather have seen us keep those high picks and not acquire Struthers. Play the young guys, keep the picks, do a real rebuild.

Of course time will tell how things play out, the season is not quite half over and there's still about a month before the trade deadline.

Still feel like we could make a real push if we start playing to our potential. Top 3 centers of Struthers, Dudas, and Kirwin along with plenty of depth on the wing could prove difficult for opposing teams to contain.

I feel for Guzda, he is playing well but the team around him is not matching his compete level.

Reactions: Millpond

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I honestly think Struthers may of partially been brought back in for leadership once and if Dudas and Lyle potentially could get traded. The return for them along with maybe a Groulx or one or two other 19 year olds will far out weigh what we spent.

Reactions: Bear in the Woods

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I honestly think Struthers may of partially been brought back in for leadership once and if Dudas and Lyle potentially could get traded. The return for them along with maybe a Groulx or one or two other 19 year olds will far out weigh what we spent.
Yeah, trading Dudas, Lyle, and one or two 2000's is one possible scenario for sure. I agree the return for all that would far exceed what we gave up for Struthers.

Another option would have been to not trade for Struthers AND trade those players you mentioned. Really stockpile the draft picks now, and use them in deals to pick up veteran pieces if we have a contending team in 2-3 years centered around our current crop of 16 year-olds. Personally, I think I'd prefer to see management go 'all in' in one direction like that, rather than having one foot on each side of fence, so to speak.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
Lyle will be gone by deadline. Any thoughts on Dudas? I see London and Kitchener fans wanting him. I'm not sure he won't be returning for an overage year, so I'm not sure what I'd do there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad