Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Unfortunately the natural flow of junior hockey success is a cruel mistress although good to see one of the Attack's greatest coaches move forward to the pro ranks

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
With price now signed for 8 years and montoya signed as his back up for the next two years. Charlie lindgren in the AHL as a starter and fucale in ECHL as a starter. Does that mean that the Canadians take their time with their goaltender prospects and leave Mcniven in the OHL for another year to try and win a championship or will they move fucale up to back up role in the AHL leaving he starter position in the ECHL for Mcniven. With three young goaltenders you would think they want them all getting quality starting minutes. Might be just a pipe dream but we can hope. If anyone has any insight would love to hear it

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack have found new HC for the bench next season official release i'd expect to be tomorrow at some point.

Pic has been released via Fred Wallace twitter account any guess who he his ???

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Looks like Dave Barr.

Former Guelph Storm Coach 2004-2008. Most recently an associate coach in Florida. Has NHL Coaching experience in Colorado, Minnesota, New Jersey and Buffalo.

NHL player with Boston, New York, St. Louis, Hartford, Detroit, New Jersey.

He's a good one and what a great team he has to work with.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Looks like Dave Barr.

Former Guelph Storm Coach 2004-2008. Most recently an associate coach in Florida. Has NHL Coaching experience in Colorado, Minnesota, New Jersey and Buffalo.

NHL player with Boston, New York, St. Louis, Hartford, Detroit, New Jersey.

He's a good one and what a great team he has to work with.

I was wondering if it was Barr certainly looks like him but wasn't certain. Always remember Barr was a good coach for the Storm unfortunately the last time he was in the league it's was before the Storm's big run in 2013-14.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Hopefully Barr's style is the same as McGill's up tempo puck movement. We don't need to go back to the dump and chase style of Ireland (which was fine, for the team at the time).

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Hopefully Barr's style is the same as McGill's up tempo puck movement. We don't need to go back to the dump and chase style of Ireland (which was fine, for the team at the time).

Fred Wallace reporting something definitely afoot with the Attack.

He reports yesterday the Atk office was closed, yet two vehicles in the lot, Dale, and the PR director.

He even included a photo of an unidentified man .

Fred doesn't operate on rumours or inuendo. I'm betting he knows who the coach is, and has agreed to keep mum until Dale is ready to introduce him .

There may be other factors at work as well. Perhaps asst coach , etc.

It appears Dale has got his man in short order, 4 days

He must have felt if he didn't move quickly he'd lose the opportunity.

Yes, this team was built in McGill's tenure to be a quick, skilled puck possession squad. It's reputed to be a top club this season , so it would be important to bring a guy in whose systems don't differ a lot from last year to maximize the clubs performance.

It's always an exciting, yet anxious time when a new coach comes in .

Looking forward to hearing the selection, and his approach to the team.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Attack welcome Todd Gill as the teams new headcoach, extend contract of Alan Letang.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack add Todd Gill as the teams new HC for 2017-18 season. Gill will join the ranks some of Owen Sound's greatest coaches of Jerry Harrigan (1992-93), Dave Siciliano 1998-99, Mike Stothers 2002-07, Mark Reeds 2007-11, Ryan McGill 2015-17.

Todd will have big shoes to fill for 2017-18. After McGill took the Attack to there best season in franchise history with a record of 49-15-2-2-2 good for 102 points in the OHL's western conference last season

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Seemed like Digger made the right move bringing Gill in for next year Gill fits the mold of the team right now. Hopefully by the Xmas break this year the boys can keep the momentum from last year rolling forward in hopes of another Mem. Cup appearance in the next year or two.

Good to see Alan Letang extend his contract with the team for next year.

Looking up and down the potential lineup for next season I'd say the team is in really good shape to continue to make noise in the west. Although there will still be the question of if Vella has picked up enough knowledge from McNiven last year to step into the starters role beyond on that I'd say that the rest of the team should be pretty much as is unless a veteran gets outplayed by a rookie and shows more upside

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Looking up and down the potential lineup for next season I'd say the team is in really good shape to continue to make noise in the west. Although there will still be the question of if Vella has picked up enough knowledge from McNiven last year to step into the starters role beyond on that I'd say that the rest of the team should be pretty much as is unless a veteran gets outplayed by a rookie and shows more upside

I got a strange feeling that McNiven will be back.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Looking at the depth in goal in Montreal, you may be right OSMike.
Unless something changes drastically during the Habs training camp, you would think they would want McNiven playing a lot and with a winning atmosphere in front of him. They are very deep in goal however so they might also make a move to make room for him in the pro ranks...
Time will tell but IMO I am thinking like OSMike.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Unfortunately there's no clear cut answers yet till the season gets going on wether or not Michael will or won't be back in an Attack uniform this year although stranger things have happened in this league with NHL drafted players.

Dale has always had a plan B scenario when it comes to filling in the gaps in the team no matter what the position may be although that's not factoring in the idea of a trade for a tender before the season gets going and the trade freeze lifts. That also leaves the possibility that Vella could get starters responsiblity also for the first few games of the season as well.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Unfortunately there's no clear cut answers yet till the season gets going on wether or not Michael will or won't be back in an Attack uniform this year although stranger things have happened in this league with NHL drafted players.

Dale has always had a plan B scenario when it comes to filling in the gaps in the team no matter what the position may be although that's not factoring in the idea of a trade for a tender before the season gets going and the trade freeze lifts. That also leaves the possibility that Vella could get starters responsiblity also for the first few games of the season as well.

MM is spending the summer training in Montreal. His intentions are clear.

Let's see where he ends up

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Gill is a great catch for you guys. He believes in letting rookies develop by playing and making errors.

He also knows how to use his talent and will take no crap from them.

He got screwed in Kingston when they lost and Gilmour had to protect his ass.
The only catch with Gill is that he likes to stay with the same goalie.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Todd jumps into a great situation. There is a very strong team in place in Owen Sound. The organization is good. Fan support is amazing. He has to keep a good thing going which is better than having to build something up. Dale DeGray picked someone who can keep a good thing going.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Gill is a great catch for you guys. He believes in letting rookies develop by playing and making errors.

Looking forward to Todd Gill in the sound I think he is a good fit.

The Attack has a rep for developing their own goalies, Giller should be fine with that aspect.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Owen Sound has always run with the same tender for large stretches of the season especially if the tender gets in a groove the Attack have had one of the most consistent goaltending coaches in Greg "Red Dog" Request so I wouldn't say that would be an issue having Gill running with the same tender.

Gill comes into a fairly good situation in Owen Sound after the Attack won their franchise high win record 49 wins.

Owen Sound has always prided itself on patience and learning for its rookie class each and every year so letting the rookies make mistakes is something that Gill and DeGray can both share as a good base for first year players like Mitchell Russell the Attack's first rounder in the OHL Priority draft

Looking forward to seeing what Gill can do with a fairly good returning class in the Scenic City this fall

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
He was impressive at the OHL Cup. If OS can convince him to jump ship in a year or 2 youll have a good one.

DeGray said if he comes, he will be a bonus 1st Rd pick .

He also said the kid was interested but his parents wanted him to go to school.

Looks like they won out .

fansince65

Sep 4, 2015
From what I know about Todd Gill he is a puck possession defensive coach that coaches a "D" first game , he has great success at this style of coaching and I expect him to use the same system in OS , too bad , I think OS had a real good system going for them with that all out attack they had last season , that is not going to happen with Gill behind the bench ..

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
From what I know about Todd Gill he is a puck possession defensive coach that coaches a "D" first game , he has great success at this style of coaching and I expect him to use the same system in OS , too bad , I think OS had a real good system going for them with that all out attack they had last season , that is not going to happen with Gill behind the bench ..

I doubt Gill will come into Owen Sound and be allowed to change a successful system. He might tweak a couple of things but they will continue with what got them so many wins last season. If he comes in a traps and takes the excitement out of the game fans won't show as much interest.

fansince65

Sep 4, 2015
I doubt Gill will come into Owen Sound and be allowed to change a successful system. He might tweak a couple of things but they will continue with what got them so many wins last season. If he comes in a traps and takes the excitement out of the game fans won't show as much interest.

Ya I know , they where a fun team to watch last season , and I think they will be the team to beat this season as long as Gill lets them play that same system that got them so far last season , but the thing is the coach has the last word on the system they play , after coaching minor hockey for 16 years I always had a free hand with the system I taught and I think that will be the case in OS as well ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad