Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Seider is a really good NHL prospect. And honestly considering he got into games for Adler Mannheim this past season, I don't expect him to report. Nice that we can hold onto his rights though if that status changes say after the 2019 draft.

Alberg isn't nearly as heralded but he's coming from a good program. German kids are such wildcards though while they're in the DNL.

If both were to report I would assume Seider would be the guy who makes the team. Would be in our Top 4 from Day 1 I think.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Seider has signed with Manheim. Not coming.

This is turning out to be an interesting off season for the Attack.

There should be a number of roster openings , or not.

If guys like Durzi, Bourque, Hancock, Sushko, all return, this can be a well stocked team .

If any or all don't, there may be a lot of openings up for grabs, and a lit of prospects should be working extra hard to summer to make the team .

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Fact is a lot of these players demand hundreds of thousands to play here

Google an interview from 2010 Globe and Mail, Scott McCain, French fry magnate, and owner of Saint Johns Sea Dogs laments some players agents demand up to $400,000 .

That's why certain teams always get top players and some don't .

This is no secret. It is published in a national newspaper. Sorry I can't share it here, don't know how.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Millpond; that is some pretty informative stuff there... We all would suspect there was some type of payments made to ensure "top level" European talent shows up to play in the OHL/CHL but anything even near that number is just crazy. This goes to show you why "certain" teams draft that big named guy and more often than not they end up reporting. Many would want us to believe that it's the nice-big arena and the nice dressing room and the University in town and the smart owners and the ex-NHL player that is coaching were the reasons that would lure such talented players to sign and play for "certain" organizations . Guess NOT...
$$$ talks!!

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005

Google an interview from 2010 Globe and Mail, Scott McCain, French fry magnate, and owner of Saint Johns Sea Dogs laments some players agents demand up to $400,000 .

This is no secret. It is published in a national newspaper. Sorry I can't share it here, don't know how.

Scion finds a challenge on ice

Reactions: Millpond

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018

Thanks, interesting story. Not sure if he was referencing Import players and/or others (i.e., Americans or Canadians playing the NCAA card).

Scion finds a challenge on ice

Talent isn't cheap, either. While CHL leagues only give players honoraria – $60 a week on average, plus room and board – the clubs pay into a league-wide scholarship fund that sets aside $4,500 a year per player to be put toward their post-secondary education if they don't end up playing professional hockey. Sometimes it's much more than that, though, as top prospects may demand an allowance to pay for an Ivy League education, for example, along with a travel budget for their families and whatever other perks their agents can think of. The total can reach $400,000 or more, as in the case of one elite player the Sea Dogs were thinking of drafting, but didn't after learning the price tag. "You hear rumours," says Long. "A player's agent will be asking for $100,000 a year to come to a certain club. You don't know if they're bluffing or not. When it comes to that, we just say, 'Thanks but no thanks.'"

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Just saw that Riley Daniels has gone from Dutchmen to Burlington Cougars. Not sure what that means for Attack if they need to call him up for any reason.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Just saw that Riley Daniels has gone from Dutchmen to Burlington Cougars. Not sure what that means for Attack if they need to call him up for any reason.

As long as the Attack still hold his rights player movement in the lower levels means nothing to the OHL club although his age being 19 would more likely be not in the team's plan.

The Attack can call up any prospect that are 15-20 years of age as long as the team holds the playing rights in the league although not too many players especially goalies make the OHL as an OA unless there's no other goalie in the system to fill a spot.

Considering that the Attack have 3-4 tenders in the system I can't see Daniels sticking with the team and tying up a premium spot on the club this season.

Guzda needs to play more games and get more experience this season and OL could return as an OA too lots of decisions will need to made before the season opener in Barrie in September.

I can see DD maybe bringing in a proven backup with experience to push Guzer maybe an 18 yo from a team who's rebuilding and looking to get younger.

Will see what shakes in August when camp opens up

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Congrat's to Markus Phillips on being added to Hockey Canada's World Junior Showcase Roster!
I will get in an early season vote for Markus to be the next appointed Captain of the Attack.
He plays the game hard and has put up some real nice numbers the last couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad