Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
Re Riley Daniels. I have no idea went on behind the scenes but will say there is no harder position in sport from a mental perspective as goaltender. Any kid who got to this level and competed regardless of outcome was in the top 2-3% of his peer group. Over last 2-3 years OHL seems like a sausage grinder for many goalies with multiple goalies leaving OHL and never playing again at any level and more forced out in OA year to play JR A. I wish this young man all the best going forward.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I too am friends with a former OS player who told me how abusive Ryan McGill could be to kids. I am not trolling on here just reading. Sad to see a kid lead on for three years. I don't know if it happens very often in the OHL but it shouldn't. I think the Knights will trade kids rather then have them in the wings. I know they traded a bunch of decent kids to give them playing elsewhere in the OHL. Good luck to Riley in Moncton.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Any training camp reports for today?

Took in the scrimmage this afternoon. Didn't have a roster page with me, but I'll share a couple of observations:

-Manuel Alberg is real skinny, and didn't look like he gave 100% considering he's signed, but there's a real nice talent package there. The scouting report on him was bang on: speedy, slick hands, great edge work and the ability to turn on a dime in the corners. I think he'll get physically pushed around to start his OHL career, but there's a ton to like that he can be a goal scorer at this level - the right hand shot is a nice plus.

-Nolan Seed seemed clearly the most talented player on the ice this afternoon, the talent is evident. Terrific skater, good vision, can track guys down, has an active stick and looks happy to join the rush. Destined to be a core player in Owen Sound, even if his impact at 16 won't be huge.

There were a few players that stuck out from the unsigned group, especially 15 for white who has a diesel engine on him and showed some skill too.

Even with the light cupboard the team has had the past couple seasons, I'd say there's a good chance that a couple of the unsigned forwards out there today, and maybe a defender or two (5 in red looked the best of that bunch to me) can fill out the bottom of the roster this season.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I too am friends with a former OS player who told me how abusive Ryan McGill could be to kids. I am not trolling on here just reading. Sad to see a kid lead on for three years. I don't know if it happens very often in the OHL but it shouldn't. I think the Knights will trade kids rather then have them in the wings. I know they traded a bunch of decent kids to give them playing elsewhere in the OHL. Good luck to Riley in Moncton.

I believe, based on what I read here and elsewhere , that Riley has already come and gone from Moncton.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Any training camp reports for today?

Took in the scrimmage this afternoon. Didn't have a roster page with me, but I'll share a couple of observations:

-Manuel Alberg is real skinny, and didn't look like he gave 100% considering he's signed, but there's a real nice talent package there. The scouting report on him was bang on: speedy, slick hands, great edge work and the ability to turn on a dime in the corners. I think he'll get physically pushed around to start his OHL career, but there's a ton to like that he can be a goal scorer at this level - the right hand shot is a nice plus.

-Nolan Seed seemed clearly the most talented player on the ice this afternoon, the talent is evident. Terrific skater, good vision, can track guys down, has an active stick and looks happy to join the rush. Destined to be a core player in Owen Sound, even if his impact at 16 won't be huge.

There were a few players that stuck out from the unsigned group, especially 15 for white who has a diesel engine on him and showed some skill too.

Even with the light cupboard the team has had the past couple seasons, I'd say there's a good chance that a couple of the unsigned forwards out there today, and maybe a defender or two (5 in red looked the best of that bunch to me) can fill out the bottom of the roster this season.
I was able to catch the full schedule today. A few thoughts...

Biggest standouts for me after two scrimmages are Alberg, Pearson, and Seed. Kaleb Pearson is Red #16, here as a FA invite, put up impressive numbers in the GOJHL last season (67 Pts in 49 G). He created opportunities most every shift (he scored 3 goals over the 2 scrimmages), and showed good chemistry playing on a line with Hazell (who was effective in his own right). Highly offensive player with a good shot.

Manuel Alberg was impressive. He loves to have the puck on his stick. I was impressed by the quickness of his shot release. He should prove to be a dynamic OHL player over his career here.

Other players who stood out to me are Alec Lovisek (White #15 as mentioned by PensFan101) and Cody Monds. Lovisek was a 4th round pick in 2017, and I think it's worth noting that he is listed as a D on the prospects page on the team's website but was playing F in camp. Monds is a FA invite, he is Canadian but stats show he is playing prep school in the US (with impressive numbers). Monds is a skilled player with good hands and is a good skater.

A couple of 2018 picks looked pretty good. Brody Waters plays physical, is strong on the puck, especially in the corners. Nathan Small, a D, seems to play a simple game and plays it well, does the little things right (e.g, consistently got quick shots through traffic on net from the blueline). I can see both these players suiting up for the Attack at some point in their careers (I think Waters could be one of the toughest roster decisions for management this year).

I thought Bishop, Caruk, Eden, and Hazell all looked good too. Caruk is a huge guy and skates well. Bishop is a big body and uses his size to create opportunities, he was noticeable out there.

On the blueline, other than Seed and Small I liked Sam Holy, a FA invite from the States. I liked his positioning out there, seems to play a smart game. Still early, but he could play his way on the team, especially if Durzi is not returned.

Nice to see a few Americans at camp (Bishop drafted in 2018, plus FA's Holy and Chauvin).

Lastly, I would echo PensFans101's comment about the quality of the FA invitees (Pearson, Monds, and Holy especially IMO).

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Today's camp had a lot talent for the rookie group. Seed came as delivered steady defenseman with good vision out there not a really flash defenseman but a good steady blueliner with smart decision making on the right side of the puck.

Still lots of talent out there among the rookie class though. Really it is anyone's camp to try and make the club. The talent pool has seemed to become more and more level as the past few draft classes have came into the league.

Day 2 will come with a lot surprises.

gregreg

Jun 10, 2009
Kaleb Pearson wasn’t a free agent invite rather a trade from Flint. Good to see he had a nice intro to attack fans

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
The team has released the roster for main camp. Not seeing Lazer's name. Durzi is listed on the roster. I also see that its Durzi bobblehead night on a home game in December.

Reactions: Noofgoof

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Day 1 of main camp today talent wise there's a lot of talent that could make the team.

Team was practicing breakout plays and pick control in the cycle plays. There's lot of speed and skill that could make the clubs decisions difficult before opening night in Barrie. I see a lot of skill that each player brings not much of huge standouts but lots of solid players that could make the club on the depth chart.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Made it to the arena today for parts of both practices. As one would think, the returning players all looked a little bigger and a little stronger. The tempo was pretty good for both sessions. It's hard to make judgements on players from one practice so the scrimmages will show us more as to what veterans made the big strides forward and what rookies are actually vying for a spot on the opening night roster. Good luck to all the boys during the next few days!

Reactions: Pond Hockey

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I saw some good stuff out of a few today, vets and rookies. As always the choices will be difficult to make in the next few weeks

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I've always believed that the true test of training camp is always the pre-season not because of the abilities that these kids show in the on ice training camp sessions, but more importantly because it will show the chemistry of the kids and their abilities to play in different aspects of a game.

It also puts kids into a more realistic position on which you'll see the coaches make adjustments to create line production in special teams situations where practices can be an unrealistic view of who's going to play with who in the lines and pairings and chemistry within the system of the team.

These kids are talented in there own right and at there own individual levels there's no doubt in that aspect but as the philosophy goes there's no I in team and it's a team sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHL insideout

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Report from first scrimmage today, here are a few things that caught my eye;
-White 7-1 Red
-The 2 nicest goals were scored by Groulx- both with moves in the slot and accurate shots.
-Dudas has gotten even faster than last season.
-Durzi will be such a great player if returned by the Leafs, such great hockey IQ and skill with the puck.
-Lyle looks bigger and stronger.
-Phillips looks quicker and has such great poise with the puck on his stick.
-Alberg is a nice skater but coughs up the puck when he gets into traffic.
-Suzuki is just himself - makes plays throughout every shift.
-Guzda shut out team Red for the first half of the scrimmage and looked real solid.

Last edited:

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Any viewings from todays skates?
I found myself mostly watching the rookies in main camp. On defense, I thought Riley Valade looked pretty good out there among the rookies left in camp (speed, skating, puckhandling all looked good). I thought he might be a candidate for the #7 spot, but then he wasn't in the lineup for the Red vs. White scrimmage last night. Dilan Peters also looked good on the back end; big guy with huge reach which he uses to his advantage. For the forward group, I thought the remaining roster spots after Pearson's signing might go to a couple guys out of Waters, Lovisek, and Dimovski (maybe Caruk too).

As for the vets, Lyle and Groulx stood out to me as players who have raised their game a notch from last season. Groulx put up another nice goal in the Red vs. White game, and Lyle just looked hungrier out there.

Shout-out to Andrew McLean, who I thought was clearly the best of the bunch of the rookies in net throughout the week. He put up a few longer goalless stretches in the scrimmages. He played in the Red vs. White game last night along with Guzda and Torchia. Right now it looks like he figures to the be #3 guy if needed.

Looking forward to the season!

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
OHL teams can have as many OA's in the first half of the season they want it's only by Xmas break time they have to cut the number down to 3.

Teams typical keep 4 on their roster till the break then either deal or release them so that another team with an open OA spot can give them a chance.

There will always be some sort of value in any player it more depends on what other teams think they need in an OA. Some teams need centers, others need d-men some need tenders.
Most of the time teams try and set their OA spots early on in the season but it can be difficult with usually handfuls of player NHL drafted.

Sometimes it's a sit and wait game before you truly find out what your team has for senior players.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack still have 6 OA's in camp....How many can they carry and who are the keepers? Should be some kind of trade value in some of them.

DeGray said he will wait to see who may be returned.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
AttackSound

You are allowed to roster 5 overages till sometime in November think the 15th,then 4 till the deadline, down to 3 eventually, not unlimited at the beginning.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Attack Win 5-3and in my opinion looked like the clearly better team. Clean break outs nice passing plays you could tell it was a vetean line up for the most part. The new guys didnt really look out of place either. Guzda looked solid in the small amount of work he had and not enough could be said about Suzuki Hancock and Pearson they looked almost unstoppable at times and Durzi well hes just as good as ever . So many guy looked like seasoned vets out there today. Roberts looked great back in the line up also almost like he has something to prove. Overall good team effort I know its exhibition and alot can and will change but I saw alot of good things and it for sure out weighed the bad

Reactions: Pond Hockey

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Hey Attack Fans! Going to miss being at the Bayshore this year. Little bittersweet for me as I met so many great fans, employees during my time as a Season Ticket holder.

I am just going to throw up the Attack articles from the OHL Collective that we posted over the summer, Hockey season is back in full effect and hope it stirs up some great competition.

Captain Situation-

Who Will Be Named The Next Owen Sound Attack Captain?

Aidan Dudas And Sean Durzi NHL Pre Draft Article - Owen Sound Attack Draft Hopeful Sean Durzi and Aidan Dudas.

Overage Situation- Overage Situation Thinning Out In Owen Sound

Matt Sanderson- Bears Getting Back to Work

Reactions: Noofgoof
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad