Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Noticed on twitter; Arizona Coyotes roster for prospect/rookie camp.
#90 Zachary Roberts

-Hopefully Roberts can have a good camp, also gain valuable experience that can lead him to a solid season with the Attack.

Good luck Zach!

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Noticed on twitter; Arizona Coyotes roster for prospect/rookie camp.
#90 Zachary Roberts

-Hopefully Roberts can have a good camp, also gain valuable experience that can lead him to a solid season with the Attack.

Good luck Zach!

A totally forgotten player after his injury last season, but could be a real nice bonus for the team this year. Hard to say where he fits in the lineup right now but it would be huge if he broke out.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A totally forgotten player after his injury last season, but could be a real nice bonus for the team this year. Hard to say where he fits in the lineup right now but it would be huge if he broke out.
Roberts is a tough, hard nosed player who delivers something every shift.
He is a prototypical Attack player, and a healthy return to the lineup bri gs more than we could imagine.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I like Durzi, Hancock, and Bourque as OA's. Then Lazer if one of those three do not return. Apart from that group of four, I'd keep any vacant OA spots free for trade pickups later in the season (e.g, James, McKenzie from the last two years). But with Lazer coming to training camp, I would be surprised if the 3 OA spots are not filled by some combination of Durzi, Hancock Bourque, and Lazer.

Reactions: OHL insideout

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Great news on the OA front. This means that regardless of whether Durzi comes back or not, we're going to have a fantastic trio of Overagers. Way better than some years where we hope and wait and wish for a player or two who never comes back from pro.

Top teams have top end overagers...

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Pond Hockey; I am in the same mindset as you are. I think this team, the way it looks now needs 2 Dmen and 1 Forward as OA's.
The biggest factor in all of this is Durzi. If he returns, we will be set with - Durzi, Bourque, Hancock.
DD will most likely be shopping the services of Lazer, Campbell and Cameron throughout the league during training camp and the 4 ex games.
Maybe the Attack can pick up a couple of draft picks along the way for these three players.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Pond Hockey; I am in the same mindset as you are. I think this team, the way it looks now needs 2 Dmen and 1 Forward as OA's.
The biggest factor in all of this is Durzi. If he returns, we will be set with - Durzi, Bourque, Hancock.
DD will most likely be shopping the services of Lazer, Campbell and Cameron throughout the league during training camp and the 4 ex games.
Maybe the Attack can pick up a couple of draft picks along the way for these three players.

I'm in agreement with you, especially on Durzi. Assuming that Chibrikov and Seed figure in the top 6, then having Durzi and Bourque return would greatly solidify the blueline (along with Phillips and Lyle to round out the top 6). There would be a big hole on the blueline if Durzi does not return. On the other hand, Durzi in the lineup lifts the team up a notch; he has the ability to change the dynamic of the game.

I have a feeling that Bourque will be back. I can't see management parting with Beamish last year if they felt there was a serious risk of losing both Durzi and Bourque.

At any rate, the number of 20 year olds in training camp is a good problem to have. In my opinion they're all major junior calibre players, and I'm confident they'll all find a home somewhere by opening night.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With the way the Marlies are stacked on the RD right now, I do not see how Durzi would not be back for his OA year. I doubt the Marlies intend to put him in the ECHL over the OHL, so there's a better hope for him to be back over most others in his situation.

The last CHL D+2's (Durzi was technically D+1 but since he was a late 98', he is essentially a D+2) the Leafs' had both went back to the (in this case) WHL for their OA years to put it into perspective. And at that time, the Marlies had a need for a center, so it was even more likely that Brooks would not have been returned for his OA year than Durzi right now.

So that should give you guys a lot of hope at least.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Do all players get billets during training camp?

All prospects who come to the camp will generally stay at Inn on the Bay or Travelodge depending on availability for duration of camp only when the team signs a player and and is playing in the system or team will the club work on assigning them to a billet family.

This is done also that the rookies are typically paired with a senior player who has came back to the team and is typically the same with the billets families. This allows the parents to feel more comfortable with them leaving there kids in a strange new city to play hockey as they will have a chance to look around the city and see what happens on a daily basis when the season begins.

If the kid lives close enough to the team that picks the kid then it's not uncommon to see the parents more often at games

Swamp Rat

Nov 2, 2017
Not that it should come as a shock but Riley Daniels is no longer property of the Attack. Riley is headed out to the Q on a training camp invite. I believe Moncton.
Sir

Riley's agent told me to stay off this forum mainly because SL of the Attack trolls this forum and could run back to DD and report me to him but now it doesn't really matter.

Before you post a insensitive comment, please know the facts.

Riley dedicated 3 years to OS, always the good team mate, always doing what was asked of him, never complaining, being the ultimate professional.

In return, he was both mentally and verbally abused by Ryan McGill and lied to continuously by DD. Instead of continually lying to him that he was a valuable asset to use him, it would have been easier to tell him he had no hope of ever becoming an OHL goalie. So instead of crushing his dream once, they instead crushed his hopes to build it up again to continue the cycle for three year.

Riley was wooed by Moncton and made the decision easy for DD by informing him that he would not be attending training camp and he was severing all obligations to OS. He had no intention of reporting and playing second fiddle not that it would have ever gotten that far.

Even OS had even given him half the commitment to him as show to Mack Gudza or especially to the non-drafted players they brought in and pushed him aside. He maybe still would have not been OS now but somewhere else in the O but OS also helped so one was even interested in giving his a shot.

You'll be happy to know that after many false promises of at least the back up role, even though they really like what they saw in him. They said it was best to send him home now so that they could give their young goalies the opportunity to participate in exhibition games and him the opportunity to catch on with a team at home.

He played in an exhibition game yesterday for Burlington but told us after the game that his heart was not into it anymore and was walking away from the game.

So the next time you and anyone wants to write anything derogatory on this or any other forum, consider how you would feel if someone were to say the same things about one of your children or grandchildren. These are 16-20 years old kids who play for the love of the game. Instead try saying something good, you'd be surprised how it makes you feel.

Good luck with training camp starting tomorrow; I have a 19 year old at who last night who said he was scared as hockey is the only thing his ever known or planned for.

Thank you

Ken Daniels

Swamp Rat

Nov 2, 2017
Sir

Riley's agent told me to stay off this forum mainly because SL of the Attack trolls this forum and could run back to DD and report me to him but now it doesn't really matter.

Riley dedicated 3 years to OS, always the good team mate, always doing what was asked of him, never complaining, being the ultimate professional.

In return, he was both mentally and verbally abused by Ryan McGill and lied to continuously by DD. Instead of continually lying to him that he was a valuable asset to use him, it would have been easier to tell him he had no hope of ever becoming an OHL goalie. So instead of crushing his dream once, they instead crushed his hopes to build it up again to continue the cycle for three year.

Riley was wooed by Moncton and made the decision easy for DD by informing him that he would not be attending training camp and he was severing all obligations to OS. He had no intention of reporting and playing second fiddle not that it would have ever gotten that far.

Even OS had even given him half the commitment to him as show to Mack Gudza or especially to the non-drafted players they brought in and pushed him aside. He maybe still would have not been OS now but somewhere else in the O but OS also helped so one was even interested in giving his a shot.

You'll be happy to know that after many false promises of at least the back up role, even though they really like what they saw in him. They said it was best to send him home now so that they could give their young goalies the opportunity to participate in exhibition games and him the opportunity to catch on with a team at home.

He played in an exhibition game yesterday for Burlington but told us after the game that his heart was not into it anymore and was walking away from the game.

So the next time you and anyone wants to write anything derogatory on this or any other forum, consider how you would feel if someone were to say the same things about one of your children or grandchildren. These are 16-20 years old kids who play for the love of the game. Instead try saying something good, you'd be surprised how it makes you feel.

Good luck with training camp starting tomorrow; I have a 19 year old at who last night who said he was scared as hockey is the only thing his ever known or planned for.

Thank you

Ken Daniels

Swamp Rat

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry folks for the many grammaticals errors but very little sleep in the last few weeks. That and forum seems to be acting up.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Sir

Thank you

Ken Daniels

Are you kidding me this post?

I am a supporter of Riley Daniels. I watched him during his time with the Dutchmen when I was home in Kitchener for games. I supported him when he was in Owen Sound. I have a signed riley daniels picture hanging in my sports room that he signed for my wife and I last year because I always have love for the kids who spent time in the GOJHL.

How is what I posted derogatory? Mean or insensitive like you accused me of? Maybe call Jeff Grimwood and ask him what my thoughts are on Riley Daniels and he will tell you how I praised the kid often and gave him props for signing him with the dutchmen.... I was on twitter praising the kid when I heard the marks he was pulling in school. You can also ask Moncton Wildcats Scout Ismael Bilodeau about my opinion on Riley and he will tell you all the praise I gave the kid.

I posted it shouldn't be a shock to anyone because the team has 2 carded goalies and up until a few days ago had 3....That is fact and not a knock against the player. How is any of that derogatory????? I never suggested he sucked, I never suggested he doesn't deserve to play in the OHL. I never said anything that has anything to do with Riley personally.

Maybe you shouldn't be posting on these boards because you take posts out of context and then attack the posters instead of getting to know them or their intentions.

There are good people on this board.

Edit to add:

Sorry to hear what your son went threw when he was in OS. Unfortunately this isn't the 1st time I have heard about stuff like this happened. I am friends with someone from KW who played for Owen Sound and he went through the same stuff. He was traded and has done much better since.

Also edit to add: This was a bit of an emotional response. Considering what you and your family have gone through in the last 24-48 hours, I hope Riley find's peace. I know some teams who could use a goalie like him around KW. He's a good kid, super smart and I just hope he's doing alright. My post meant no disrespect to him. I am a new Father and couldn't imagine what you or Riley are feeling right now.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It is unfortunate to read about a player's dream to further their hockey career, end in disappointment.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
It is unfortunate to read about a player's dream to further their hockey career, end in disappointment.

I remember a few year's back, maybe more then a few, Tyson Teichmann landed with the rangers. He had a shaky OHL career up to that point and was a 1st round pick in his draft.

He got pulled in a game early in November after a bit of a rough stretch and you could just see how mentally exausted he was. He'd been traded around 5 times. Cut, waived, etc. Was never going to live up to the billing of a 1st round pick which is an unfair expectation that fans put on players way too often. Well he skated off and you could just see, this was it.

He left the arena in tears. Had his parents pick him up. It was hard to watch.

People get on the players but don't realize that this game is mentally draining. They are asked to do a lot.

It is unfortunate to hear about Riley. Hope he finds peace and can find love in the game again one day.

Swamp Rat

Nov 2, 2017
Thank you for your post and maybe I took it the wrong way seeing as people were writing him off in OS before Mack Guzda even showed up. He is an excellent goalie in his own right, may have very well taken the position away from Riley. But he was never even allowed to showcase himself to other teams and therefore no was even remotely interested in giving him a shot. And a record of 3-2 in 7 games played, with GAA of 2.95 and a save percentage of .875 was sufficient enough to deserve a shot.

But instead after the verbal incident with McGill, OS and the OHL both swept it under the rug to avoid another incident like Flint. So instead of being able to abuse the whole, he verbally and mentally abused not only Riley but other younger players. And he mentally abused Riley the most by sending him to the stands with no explanation of why it happened and with no support from his teammates. But why would they, if he was abusing Riley then he was bothering. And OS let it happen and Riley took it like a professional; whereas we knew at least two months in advance that Vella would be gone because all he did was whine and pout about a lack of playing time. And through it all we had to worry about his mental well being.

Not sure why I came on here and even posted, maybe because training starts in a few hours and remember the excitement of his first camp. Some of the most amazing parts of camp were having people come up to me and asking me if I had a kid trying out. Then hearing how many good things they'd heard about him and how they looked forward to seeing him play in OS can do nothing but stroke a dad's ego.

Seeing the old guys in the stands, huddled giving the pros and cons of each player. They didn't need to go on socials media and rip a kid apart like many do on this and the other team's forums. They were wiser and kept their comments to their group.

I knew you were from Kitchener and guess assumed through your connections with the Dutchmen that Riley was a broken asset when he first went there. It has taken two years and many sports psychology sessions to bring his self esteem and back up to where he felt confident on the ice again only to have Moncton knock him down again.

He played for Burlington Cougars on Saturday but told us after the game that the desire is no longer there. I can't say he'll never play again because never is infinite. He may one day find the desire to play again in a beer but it definitely won't be in goal.

I'm finished and will never post again. But please never forget about Riley like the fans and management did. He tried for three years to get them to change his hometown on bio from St. Catharines to his real hometown of Beamsville. They could get a kid's hometown of Belarus correct the first time but I guess in Riley's case they knew he wouldn't be around long enough for it to really matter.

In closing, as hard as it is, I can't wish any ill will on your young goalies and team so the best of luck.

Thank you

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
It must be heartwrenching to have to experience what you have. As much as I love the game of hockey, I've heard plenty of stories like this, and am glad my kids decided not to play hockey.

Best wishes to you and RileY moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad