Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
Feel bad for Maclean, looks like they keep throwing him against teams that we have already given up on. Nice to see that he continues to play with heart and not give up. Hopefully the team plays against the Soo like they did NB for Guzda on Sunday, we are in need of the points to secure our playoff birth.

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
Feel bad for Maclean, looks like they keep throwing him against teams that we have already given up on. Nice to see that he continues to play with heart and not give up. Hopefully the team plays against the Soo like they did NB for Guzda on Sunday, we are in need of the points to secure our playoff birth.

It wasn’t that the team played that well. It’s just that Propp had a bad night. We got lucky in that regard.

Is it just me, or does Porier look like the most uninterested player on the ice? How he wears an “A” is beyond me.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I didn't get a chance to watch the Sudbury game.

Baffling how a team can score 8 goals one night, then the next only muster one against a tender in his first OHL performance.

If I didn't know better, I'd suspect there were factors in play that don't include the skill level of the players.

DeGray and company have their work cut out for them between now and September, and it includes far more than selecting players in the draft.

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
Bourque eligible to return next Thursday in Windsor, after serving a five game suspension for calling Gera Podubnya an'expletive' Euro. The slur was used in the heat of battle .

Not condoning his behaviour in any way, he has apologized to all involved.

Now could the league take it a step further and even the playing field.

I can't count the number of times I've seen and heard referees tell someone to shut the f*&* up. This with families watching and listening .

Anti bullying applies to everyone .
Agreed, refs need to be disciplented as well, but we know how that works

Reactions: WolvesFan

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
It wasn’t that the team played that well. It’s just that Propp had a bad night. We got lucky in that regard.

Is it just me, or does Porier look like the most uninterested player on the ice? How he wears an “A” is beyond me.
agreed on Porier. I'm baffled how any of the new guys get an A , I'm sure there are vets on the team that desevered an A

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
agreed on Porier. I'm baffled how any of the new guys get an A , I'm sure there are vets on the team that desevered an A

I don't mind new players wearing an A if they deserved it.

Some guys have earned letters. Guys like Popov and Kirwin have stepped in and produced more in 5 weeks then some members of the Attack squad that have been here for near 2 seasons. Leading things on the ice.

I don't understand why Poirier wasn't dumped after the deadline or at the deadline. He wasn't good in Guelph. That has carried over to OS.

Team didn't need him. He only had 2 months left in the league. Could we not have signed or put in a waiver claim on someone younger to fill the gap.

Reactions: Waddapuck

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
On this topic, something I find interesting is, if you look at Guelph's roster right now, not one of our "top notch" players that were traded there stepped in and where given a letter. We are talking all-star caliber players in Suzuki, Phillips and Durzi. Not to mention another player brought into the Guelph organization in Entwistle from Hamilton. So with the Attack coaches dishing out an "A" to Poirier and Kirwin it sure doesn't speak well to Mr. DeGray and his scouting staff in my opinion. I've stated before, my opinion of #7 Poirier, and I agree with SebJ above post.
We were all told that we traded away top players for a reboot, development of younger guys - and he is just taking ice time away from those other players. Against Erie last weekend we saw the coaches shorten the bench to 2 forward lines and 4 defence for the last 7-8 minutes and he was shifted to the right wing to be playing those final minutes... for what? Not to mention he also plays on the power-play and penalty kill. He hasn't played this much in 5 OHL seasons! Go figure.

Reactions: OSattackfan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Alright. Long road trip ahead.

5 games.

3 of them this weekend.

They will be in a hotel in close proximity so travel isn't super heavy

They should be well rested for all games.

Tonight of the 3 games is the most winnible. North Bay is the weaker team. Lots of familiar faces on each side of the ice so will be a great game.

Soo and Sudbury are obviously tough teams.

My expectation is 2/6 points. I think 3 isn't out of the question. Sudbury isn't lighting the lamp by any means but UPL is the best goalie in the league. If the Attack can defend well, keep things simple against Sudbury, stealing a point in that game is totally do-able.

Need goalies to step back up again this week. Really need to find some consistency from them. I am not closing the book on them but we can't get the same level of inconsistency from them heading into next year. It's a process and I trust it but we can't have 3 straight years of having questions in net. A big part of what DD is trying to build starts with the goaltenders. Just hope it settles down. I can take the losses, just keep them close.
At least Sudbury wasn’t lighting the lamp last night :)

Reactions: SebJHockey

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Attack played a decent game against the Soo today. Had a few good chances to tie in the late going. Nice bounce back from Sudbury.

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018
This morning's recap: The Attack find themselves 2 points behind Kitchener and 3 points ahead of Sarnia in the standings, playing .500 hockey with 28 wins and 28 losses, and with just 1 win in the last 8 games. So, do they hang on the 6th place in the West? Challenge the Rangers for 5th? Or slip another spot or two?

Any thoughts? Predictions?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Unfortunately I see this team dropping further in the standings.
The next 2 games are crucial, we will really need to win one or both to hold on to a playoff spot.
1 win in the last 8 games and we still see the coach over play 6-7 players, they have nothing left when stamina and strength are needed to finish a game. (And not one of the names are; Hancock, Suzuki, Lyszczarczyk, Durzi, Phillips). DD stated that the lack of development is the main reason that Gill was let go. Why are we seeing "development" being thrown out the window AGAIN?
- Observed recently and/or just last game.

#20 Wilson, not dressed (again). Russell was traded away so he could fill the 3'rd Center spot.
#9 Alberg, 3 shifts - would be crazy to return here next season.
#11 Groulx 6 shifts. - 4'th leading forward/30+ pts.
#12 Caruk, 0 shifts. - come on, not 1 shift?
#6 Seed, rotated in and out of the line up until recently. Mishandled for a 1'st pick.
#28 Woolley, less ice time here than in Guelph.

Last edited:

FanAttack6

Mar 4, 2019
Correct me if I’m wrong.... I see no changes in the coaching style. The same players being overplayed. Has nothing been learn from past mistakes? You can see the physical exhaustion in these kids. New players must be developed.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Agree, players being overworked. Is conditioning also an issue? I remember the Attack a few years ago used to be stronger than their opponents in 3rd periods. We have younger players who perhaps don't have the muscle, strength and speed to keep up due to their age. Although Alberg sure can tear up the ice. Next 2 games are important but Sat.'s game against Guelph will be true test to their mental stamina. I'm sure there will be some sort of welcome for Zuke, Phillips Durzi Roberts...will be an emotional time for the boys.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
This morning's recap: The Attack find themselves 2 points behind Kitchener and 3 points ahead of Sarnia in the standings, playing .500 hockey with 28 wins and 28 losses, and with just 1 win in the last 8 games. So, do they hang on the 6th place in the West? Challenge the Rangers for 5th? Or slip another spot or two?

Any thoughts? Predictions?
Sarnia here...
looking at the schedule, I don’t think you have anything to worry about from the Sting.
You have 6 games; 5 of which you should be very competitive - Flint, Windsor, Barrie, Kit x 2.
Sarnia has 5 left, including Soo and Saggy. We likely max out at 6 more points on the season.
Whether you catch Kitchener could depend on the final 2 games.
Both our teams have sold off core players (you more than us) and there’s virtually no chance of getting past the first round of playoffs anyway.
Coaching staff needs to balance grooming players for the future with the need to keep season ticket holders happy enough to return for next season. Fact is, your team only has three ‘99s; mostly 2000 or younger kids. Living for the future!
It’s “grin and bear it” time for all of us.
Cheers & stay healthy!

Last edited:
Reactions: OSA and Noofgoof

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Sarnia here...
looking at the schedule, I don’t think you have anything to worry about from the Sting.
You have 6 games; 5 of which you should be very competitive - Flint, Windsor, Barrie, Kit x 2.
Sarnia has 5 left, including Soo and Saggy. We likely max out at 6 more points on the season.
Whether you catch Kitchener could depend on the final 2 games.
Both our teams have sold off core players (you more than us) and there’s virtually no chance of getting past the first round of playoffs anyway.
Coaching staff needs to balance grooming players for the future with the need to keep season ticket holders happy enough to return for next season. Fact is, your team only has three ‘99s; mostly 2000 or younger kids. Living for the future!
It’s “grin and bear it” time for all of us.
Cheers & stay healthy!

Thanks for the praise

Reactions: Noofgoof

Tickattack

Dec 30, 2018
Agree, players being overworked. Is conditioning also an issue? I remember the Attack a few years ago used to be stronger than their opponents in 3rd periods. We have younger players who perhaps don't have the muscle, strength and speed to keep up due to their age. Although Alberg sure can tear up the ice. Next 2 games are important but Sat.'s game against Guelph will be true test to their mental stamina. I'm sure there will be some sort of welcome for Zuke, Phillips Durzi Roberts...will be an emotional time for the boys.
I’d like to have a look at the big picture. We started the season with one of the better teams in the league, minus an experienced veteran OHL goalkeeper. Without any picks and little else to trade there was ‘t much we could do. We wound up unloading a boatload of talented players at the trade deadline, mainly because of no picks or prospects for next season. The coach was fired and we have an interim coach, so there is a decision to be made. Where does all the fingers point? It is the managers job to make sure we have trade bait when required and to be lining up players for the upcoming years. Also, how did we start the season with 6 quality overages. One might also think we might have gotten more back at the trade deadline if the trigger was pulled a little earlier. There appears to have been some things that could have been managed better with the team. Kind of an early recap of this season. For next season, with the right moves in the right places we can have a good team, but let’s not make all the mistAkes from this season happen again.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I’d like to have a look at the big picture. We started the season with one of the better teams in the league, minus an experienced veteran OHL goalkeeper. Without any picks and little else to trade there was ‘t much we could do. We wound up unloading a boatload of talented players at the trade deadline, mainly because of no picks or prospects for next season. The coach was fired and we have an interim coach, so there is a decision to be made. Where does all the fingers point? It is the managers job to make sure we have trade bait when required and to be lining up players for the upcoming years. Also, how did we start the season with 6 quality overages. One might also think we might have gotten more back at the trade deadline if the trigger was pulled a little earlier. There appears to have been some things that could have been managed better with the team. Kind of an early recap of this season. For next season, with the right moves in the right places we can have a good team, but let’s not make all the mistAkes from this season happen again.

Each season takes on it's own identity, decisions and moves are small cogs in that identity for every team in the league. This season has been no different, sometimes decisions are made to better your teams odds now and some for tomorrow.

That is the plain and simple, as for next season those decisions will be looked at in the off-season and made either before or during training camp.

There is really no such thing as mistakes in this league more just decisions and results some results come out in teams favours and some don't. This is why the league is a development league.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
On this topic, something I find interesting is, if you look at Guelph's roster right now, not one of our "top notch" players that were traded there stepped in and where given a letter. We are talking all-star caliber players in Suzuki, Phillips and Durzi. Not to mention another player brought into the Guelph organization in Entwistle from Hamilton. So with the Attack coaches dishing out an "A" to Poirier and Kirwin it sure doesn't speak well to Mr. DeGray and his scouting staff in my opinion. I've stated before, my opinion of #7 Poirier, and I agree with SebJ above post.
We were all told that we traded away top players for a reboot, development of younger guys - and he is just taking ice time away from those other players. Against Erie last weekend we saw the coaches shorten the bench to 2 forward lines and 4 defence for the last 7-8 minutes and he was shifted to the right wing to be playing those final minutes... for what? Not to mention he also plays on the power-play and penalty kill. He hasn't played this much in 5 OHL seasons! Go figure.

Suzuki and Durzi wear A's often, I wouldn't bet past it with Entwistle as well.

Suzuki, Schnarr, Samorukov, Durzi and Entwistle all rotate A's.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With the regular season nearing the end and the playoffs ever nearing. The other big event will be Draft Day.

Hearing lots of about this year being a deeper then usual draft with lots of talent spread out among the 03's draft class. This could be an interesting selection year for talent wise if the draft is a deep.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Suzuki and Durzi wear A's often, I wouldn't bet past it with Entwistle as well.

Suzuki, Schnarr, Samorukov, Durzi and Entwistle all rotate A's.

Thank you very much for the clarification, I had watched 2 Storm games this year and thought that I had witnessed both Durzi and Suzuki with letters during those games.

It was stated that Woolley is playing less here as a hybrid top pairing left side defender, was he more then that in Guelph? I figured he would have been playing behind Samorukov at the very least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad