Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure where the "bad blood" came from yesterday? Seemed like OS wanted a piece of every Windsor player they got close to? Have not seen a game between these 2 teams since 2011 that had this much "spark" in it. Something happen 2 weeks ago that got under OS skin?
Anyway this game could have gone either way. Neither team looked that good. If either team could have figured out how to pass the puck we might have seen some good hockey. Not the best game to watch. Rematch in a couple of weeks so we will see. Nice to see some OS fans there.

Reactions: Millpond

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not sure where the "bad blood" came from yesterday? Seemed like OS wanted a piece of every Windsor player they got close to? Have not seen a game between these 2 teams since 2011 that had this much "spark" in it. Something happen 2 weeks ago that got under OS skin?
Anyway this game could have gone either way. Neither team looked that good. If either team could have figured out how to pass the puck we might have seen some good hockey. Not the best game to watch. Rematch in a couple of weeks so we will see. Nice to see some OS fans there.

Wasn't down there but did watch it on OHL live after a tough two games against Saginaw and Flint I think the team wanted a strong finish. More of the game was frustrations from the Saginaw and Flint games. Since the change in bench personal the team has been playing more spirited hockey then earlier in the season.

Reactions: SebJHockey

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team had a good game tonight against the Otters.

The effort was there and the guys showed that they can kept up with the Otters chances.

The leaning curve for the young group of guys has shown that they have a bright future in this league and that we the fans have to be patient no matter what the results will appear on the scoreboard.

Tonight was a good example of that where they kept the game close and played till the buzzer and beyond just couldn't get the break late in OT.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I don't know I see another blown opportunity to put Erie away. Up 3-2 heading into the third... They've got to find a way to win those games.

The lead is 9 points with ten games left. So the Attack are still pretty safe, but that game could have put it beyond doubt.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I don't know I see another blown opportunity to put Erie away. Up 3-2 heading into the third... They've got to find a way to win those games.

The lead is 9 points with ten games left. So the Attack are still pretty safe, but that game could have put it beyond doubt.
Don't take this the wrong way because I want the boys to win but if what I'm hearing out of the minor midget ranks there are 8 players that are very high end, studs if you will. After that the first and maybe a bit of the 2nd rd have some solid players so if we dropped another spot or two we should get a very good player.It also doesn't really matter who we play in the playoffs the top 4 teams are all for real.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Don't take this the wrong way because I want the boys to win but if what I'm hearing out of the minor midget ranks there are 8 players that are very high end, studs if you will. After that the first and maybe a bit of the 2nd rd have some solid players so if we dropped another spot or two we should get a very good player.It also doesn't really matter who we play in the playoffs the top 4 teams are all for real.
More specifically, a power forward or two.

The Attack has a solid core of four, maybe five forwards moving forward.
Trouble is, they are all small skilled guys ,I've seen them got muscled off pucks the last four games.

And scoring touch as well.
Yes let's pick as high as possible. Can't sacrifice the future for a couple more wins between now and mid March .

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Don't get me wrong, dropping lower for the draft is obviously an advantage, but I'd rather see the team performing well and the individuals on the team excelling. The team has a huge goalie question to answer this off-season, it has a solid young defence - but are they really that solid as a group? - and a forward core that struggles to score by committee.

But I agree with you otherwise. The team is 1 and done no matter what, but a 16 year old isn't going to save this team if the pieces returning aren't quality too.

The last three cycles for this team we have picked our top forward #8, #20, and #13, the last of which became the most productive four year player from his entire draft class.

Sergey Popov as captain.

Change my mind

He's new to the team, in the midst of a currently short hot streak but has otherwise been inconsistent, and we have players more deserving of a C (like Dudas).

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Actually your goalie was fine, your defensive core let you down minus one or two players. Great fans in attendance, smart bunch, very perceptive and welcoming (even to a Niagara fan).

1x16yr, 3x17 yr on the blueline.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Haven't posted in a while, trying to view as many games as work and travel allow me to...
A few things I'd like to see and not see as much of moving forward and into next season.

I'd like to see more of;
- Our fan base keep up the great support for this young group moving forward.
- Progression and more development with both of our goalies #1 Guzda and #30 MacLean.
- More ice time for Dmen; #6 Seed, #4 Chibrikov, #8 Parrot, #28 Woolley and for these four to find their role on the backend. Either play the gritty, sandpaper type or the offensive, creative type.
- Top two lines of; #22 McMaster #27 Dudas #11 Groulx // #34 Popov #19 Kirwin #26 Pearson. (all to return next season).
- The powerplay forward lines rotate from the two lines above.

I'd like to see less of;
- Shortening the bench to overplay guys that do not deserve it or for guys that will not be here next season or beyond. #7 Poirier, #25 Robinson (we got rid of the "super stars" that warranted the extra ice time).
- Offensive scoring chances squashed by trying to be too fancy in the opposition zone.
- Soft offensive zone entries from the opposition. We need to stand up at our own blueline more and be "hard" to play against deep in our own end.
- Soft goals against.
- 2, or all 3 stars being given to the opposing team. It just doesn't sit right with me, no other team in the entire league does this!
- Top 3 draft picks that do not pan out into productive players.
- Import picks that do not pan out at all.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Haven't posted in a while, trying to view as many games as work and travel allow me to...
A few things I'd like to see and not see as much of moving forward and into next season.

I'd like to see more of;
- Our fan base keep up the great support for this young group moving forward.
- Progression and more development with both of our goalies #1 Guzda and #30 MacLean.
- More ice time for Dmen; #6 Seed, #4 Chibrikov, #8 Parrot, #28 Woolley and for these four to find their role on the backend. Either play the gritty, sandpaper type or the offensive, creative type.
- Top two lines of; #22 McMaster #27 Dudas #11 Groulx // #34 Popov #19 Kirwin #26 Pearson. (all to return next season).
- The powerplay forward lines rotate from the two lines above.

I'd like to see less of;
- Shortening the bench to overplay guys that do not deserve it or for guys that will not be here next season or beyond. #7 Poirier, #25 Robinson (we got rid of the "super stars" that warranted the extra ice time).
- Offensive scoring chances squashed by trying to be too fancy in the opposition zone.
- Soft offensive zone entries from the opposition. We need to stand up at our own blueline more and be "hard" to play against deep in our own end.
- Soft goals against.
- 2, or all 3 stars being given to the opposing team. It just doesn't sit right with me, no other team in the entire league does this!
- Top 3 draft picks that do not pan out into productive players.
- Import picks that do not pan out at all.

25 has been playing his best hockey lately. No he is not a goal scorer, but he has good speed, uses his size to create space and is not afraid to play physical.

Using him within his skill set, he is contributing to the team .

It's tough to watch lately, but bear in mind those dmen you mentioned all got lots of ice time on the weekend.

There were several times I saw 2 x17 yr old dmen out against Ice Dogs, or a 16 yr and 17 . Chibber, Parrott and Wooley can all be sandpaper guys.

That would never have happened a few months ago. The ice time and experience they get now will speed their development .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
What's the story on Bourque?
Worth noting, Bourque took a stick in the ribs with no call , then him and Podubnya got 2 min roughing calls.
It was the linesman who called it after they were both in the box , and play was ready to resume.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Worth noting, Bourque took a stick in the ribs with no call , then him and Podubnya got 2 min roughing calls.
It was the linesman who called it after they were both in the box , and play was ready to resume.
Unfortunately this is happening often and is a direct result of the OHL poor officiating. Frankly I wasn't super upset seeing two of our guys suspended standing up for themselves when the officials failed. Better done now then in a few weeks.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Unfortunately this is happening often and is a direct result of the OHL poor officiating. Frankly I wasn't super upset seeing two of our guys suspended standing up for themselves when the officials failed. Better done now then in a few weeks.
If Bourque said the word he is rumoured to have said I stand behind any suspension he gets. You can't say what he is accused of. I am a little surprised it is totally out of character for him. I do however fully back him up on physically standing up for himself.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
After last week's poor showing, an irate STH commented on a fb post the players owed fans an apology for their poor performance against the Ice Dogs.

They felt they weren't getting their money's worth on their 'investment' in the team .

I'm sure the boys felt bad enough,notwithstanding the flu bug currently making its rounds.

Comments like that bother me. I doubt that person ever approached Dale DeGray at a game, perched at the north end bleachers, or talked to any players during the after game skate Sunday .

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
After last week's poor showing, an irate STH commented on a fb post the players owed fans an apology for their poor performance against the Ice Dogs.

They felt they weren't getting their money's worth on their 'investment' in the team .

I'm sure the boys felt bad enough,notwithstanding the flu bug currently making its rounds.

Comments like that bother me. I doubt that person ever approached Dale DeGray at a game, perched at the north end bleachers, or talked to any players during the after game skate Sunday .

This team lost its four best players at the deadline this year. This fanbase should be prouder of the compete level of this team now more than before.

This is a really tough time for the players as well in a very stacked Western Conference.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
How are Kirwin, Woolley and Poirer looking since the trade?
All these players have fit in nicely. Kirwin has contributed goals; really like his speed and compete level. Woolley brings physical presence to the team; could use more of that. Poirier has done well but would like to see more from him. All the players traded to the Attack are contributing and doing quite well.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
All these players have fit in nicely. Kirwin has contributed goals; really like his speed and compete level. Woolley brings physical presence to the team; could use more of that. Poirier has done well but would like to see more from him. All the players traded to the Attack are contributing and doing quite well.

Thanks for this update. Always loved Kirwin and his compete level while thinking Woolley was a solid defender for how young he really is. Poirer was suspended for most of his time in Guelph so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->