Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
After last week's poor showing, an irate STH commented on a fb post the players owed fans an apology for their poor performance against the Ice Dogs.

They felt they weren't getting their money's worth on their 'investment' in the team .

I'm sure the boys felt bad enough,notwithstanding the flu bug currently making its rounds.

Comments like that bother me. I doubt that person ever approached Dale DeGray at a game, perched at the north end bleachers, or talked to any players during the after game skate Sunday .

You're kidding me?

Unreal. Fans need to know that losses like these are going to happen once a season sometimes, more so every few years. It's a great learning curve for the players. Despite popular belief. You never want to see your team get the crap beat out of them but it happened. Learn from it and move on.

If fans are more worried about their "Investment in the team" take your money elsewhere. There is a line up of people who will gladly take your seats and pay the prices.

We invest in this team because we love this team. Through thick and thin. Whether we lose 9-0 or 2-1, I love this team and will continue too.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Thanks for this update. Always loved Kirwin and his compete level while thinking Woolley was a solid defender for how young he really is. Poirer was suspended for most of his time in Guelph so.....

I know he's only been here for a few weeks but I'd put Kirwin up in the Potential Captain category next season.

Personally, its Dudas' to lose but if it was a competition, Kirwin is making a case.

Reactions: Millpond

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
I know he's only been here for a few weeks but I'd put Kirwin up in the Potential Captain category next season.

Personally, its Dudas' to lose but if it was a competition, Kirwin is making a case.

Kirwin was probably the toughest loss this season, especially since I expect him to rack up the points next year. His hustle and work-ethic really spark the rest of the team.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
From what I have seen -
#19 Kirwin has looked good as he has been given every opportunity to succeed here in OS, he has played both PP and PK as well as top line minutes. A big step up in the line up from his time with Guelph.
#7 Poirier also has been given lot's of ice time but he hasn't looked as good. He looks slow and out of shape.
#28 Woolley has looked pretty good, he to has been given a lot of ice time since arriving in OS. He can surely use his size and strength even more to an advantage moving forward. He's gotten into a scrap and did quite well as a seventeen year old.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
From what I have seen -
#19 Kirwin has looked good as he has been given every opportunity to succeed here in OS, he has played both PP and PK as well as top line minutes. A big step up in the line up from his time with Guelph.
#7 Poirier also has been given lot's of ice time but he hasn't looked as good. He looks slow and out of shape.
#28 Woolley has looked pretty good, he to has been given a lot of ice time since arriving in OS. He can surely use his size and strength even more to an advantage moving forward. He's gotten into a scrap and did quite well as a seventeen year old.
I believe Kirwin is our best faceoff man since arriving . He is currently on a lune with Popov and Pearson, and looking pretty good .

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
North Bay fan here, and I put Zac Poirier in the “what you see is what you get” category. He is simply one of many swings and misses by the local GM, 1st round, 14th overall selection 2014 draft, 98 career points in almost 5 seasons and 1 (at least) suspension per season. Having now said this, watch him light it up here tomorrow.

With the possible exception of 2/28, best of luck to the Attack the rest of the way. I continue to be impressed by the quality of your teams and level of fan support.

#wish_we_had_both_here

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
North Bay fan here, and I put Zac Poirier in the “what you see is what you get” category. He is simply one of many swings and misses by the local GM, 1st round, 14th overall selection 2014 draft, 98 career points in almost 5 seasons and 1 (at least) suspension per season. Having now said this, watch him light it up here tomorrow.

With the possible exception of 2/28, best of luck to the Attack the rest of the way. I continue to be impressed by the quality of your teams and level of fan support.

#wish_we_had_both_here

Thanks for the praise SJF, I tend to agree with you, ZP is a hard working nose to the grindstone type of guy.

Would be nice to see him get the breaks and hit the back of the net more often but hes compete level is through the roof.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
After last week's poor showing, an irate STH commented on a fb post the players owed fans an apology for their poor performance against the Ice Dogs.

They felt they weren't getting their money's worth on their 'investment' in the team .

I'm sure the boys felt bad enough,notwithstanding the flu bug currently making its rounds.

Comments like that bother me. I doubt that person ever approached Dale DeGray at a game, perched at the north end bleachers, or talked to any players during the after game skate Sunday .

I say go invest your money somewhere else. These boys are there giving their best, it is tough when you are overmatched. True fans will hang in there and watch this group grow over the next couple of years.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
I say go invest your money somewhere else. These boys are there giving their best, it is tough when you are overmatched. True fans will hang in there and watch this group grow over the next couple of years.
Anyone who complains about this team has no hockey sense at all. Not even go into the reasons why because they wouldn't get it. They'll shut their mouths real quick when these kids excel next season.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The boys need to win one or two of their remaining games to ensure 4 playoff games.

Erie got ten left and sit at 51 pts. Not impossible to catch us .

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018

It's now a case of short-term pain for long-term gain.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Alright. Long road trip ahead.

5 games.

3 of them this weekend.

They will be in a hotel in close proximity so travel isn't super heavy

They should be well rested for all games.

Tonight of the 3 games is the most winnible. North Bay is the weaker team. Lots of familiar faces on each side of the ice so will be a great game.

Soo and Sudbury are obviously tough teams.

My expectation is 2/6 points. I think 3 isn't out of the question. Sudbury isn't lighting the lamp by any means but UPL is the best goalie in the league. If the Attack can defend well, keep things simple against Sudbury, stealing a point in that game is totally do-able.

Need goalies to step back up again this week. Really need to find some consistency from them. I am not closing the book on them but we can't get the same level of inconsistency from them heading into next year. It's a process and I trust it but we can't have 3 straight years of having questions in net. A big part of what DD is trying to build starts with the goaltenders. Just hope it settles down. I can take the losses, just keep them close.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Good luck tonight against the Battalion and best of luck when you guys are here tomorrow night. Been awhile since I've seen the Attack so I'm quite excited :)

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Good luck tonight against the Battalion and best of luck when you guys are here tomorrow night. Been awhile since I've seen the Attack so I'm quite excited :)
Thanks. You have a nice rookie goalie this year and for many years to come I think. Good Luck in the East.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Nice bounce back by the boys for a win on the road against North Bay. Nice to see Kirwin with a hat trick, Dudas giving McMaster the puck for a goal against former team. Hopefully the boys can take this win to Sudbury, or at least give it a good effort. Although no goals on powerplay, it was better with less passing and more shots on net.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I liked that the boys got stronger, as the game work on . Built off a 4 goal first period.

Solid outing by Guzda. Lots of multi point players, and brilliant performances by all the 'new ' guys.

Great work, boys.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team played a good road game tonight even though our opponent had some big chances against us at times the guys really buckled down and jumped on the chances they had.

Sometimes in these cross-conference games teams take their foot off the gas when the score seemed out of reach for your opponent but the guys have shown that they can pull ahead on the scoresheet and lock it down when need to.

Tomorrow is a new day and a new game for the guys and that even though an 8-4 W is a good confidence builder the weekend is far from over a the opposition will be stiffer and have more spark in their game since the team last met in the home opener.

If junior hockey has taught us fans anything over the years is that each game is a new ball of wax that can twist and turn in or against your favour in a blink of an eye best to enjoy the moment in the moment and never underestimate the ability of your next opponent.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Bourque eligible to return next Thursday in Windsor, after serving a five game suspension for calling Gera Podubnya an'expletive' Euro. The slur was used in the heat of battle .

Not condoning his behaviour in any way, he has apologized to all involved.

Now could the league take it a step further and even the playing field.

I can't count the number of times I've seen and heard referees tell someone to shut the f*&* up. This with families watching and listening .

Anti bullying applies to everyone .

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Bourque eligible to return next Thursday in Windsor, after serving a five game suspension for calling Gera Podubnya an'expletive' Euro. The slur was used in the heat of battle .

Not condoning his behaviour in any way, he has apologized to all involved.

Now could the league take it a step further and even the playing field.

I can't count the number of times I've seen and heard referees tell someone to shut the f*&* up. This with families watching and listening .

Anti bullying applies to everyone .

Ah, I am okay with the suspension.

To me, there is a fine line in singling out a player from a different nationality and calling him an F-ing Euro then there is telling someone to STFU.

You are right anti-bullying applies to everyone and should be dealt with but there is a fine line between the two. One of those is a tad racey, the other isn't. If the league punished players for it, we would need to expand rosters to 50. Teams would have like 19 suspensions a game lol.

Now I am not calling Trenton racist. I've met him, met his family, great people. I can tell his apology is sincere but when it comes to stuff like this, it is in his best interest to take a step back and take the punishment.

Clearly, he is frustrated and took the wrong approach. He'll learn from it. He's a good man. But maybe a few games off the ice is in his best interest.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Good post, sounds like some fans have become just a tad spoiled.
Well it looks like the Bears get our backup tonight.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Ah, I am okay with the suspension.

To me, there is a fine line in singling out a player from a different nationality and calling him an F-ing Euro then there is telling someone to ****.

You are right anti-bullying applies to everyone and should be dealt with but there is a fine line between the two. One of those is a tad racey, the other isn't. If the league punished players for it, we would need to expand rosters to 50. Teams would have like 19 suspensions a game lol.

Now I am not calling Trenton racist. I've met him, met his family, great people. I can tell his apology is sincere but when it comes to stuff like this, it is in his best interest to take a step back and take the punishment.

Clearly, he is frustrated and took the wrong approach. He'll learn from it. He's a good man. But maybe a few games off the ice is in his best interest.

Hockey is an emotional sport plain and simple frustrations can happen to any player in any game. The respected players can play through anything emotions, bad calls, suspensions, etc. Plain and simple is to beat your opponent on scoreboard.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not the start tonight the team wanted in the 1st.

Good for them to claw back at the end of the 1st and get on the scoreboard, hope's to see a bit more jump to start the 2nd and continue where they left off at the end of the 1st.

Adjustment time for the guys to start the 2nd.

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
Looks like the majority of the team is giving up, the D are standing around missing coverage, and there is 0 backchecking. Its almost like they had decided they would loose this game right off the opening face off so its not worth trying. This team needs to get their mind set straight if they will succeed next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->