Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
With the regular season nearing the end and the playoffs ever nearing. The other big event will be Draft Day.

Hearing lots of about this year being a deeper then usual draft with lots of talent spread out among the 03's draft class. This could be an interesting selection year for talent wise if the draft is a deep.

In reading the prospect thread, I believe that it’s been suggested by a few posters with the knowledge of the draft that it’s actually the opposite, outside of 4/5 strong players there are no true standouts.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
There is a lot of skill in the top 8 in the draft.

It does fall off but their is still a lot of interesting prospects and a lot to like about this draft.

This is what teams have to work with. Need our development team to step up huge. But its not going to be a bad draft.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
If there's any consolation, we'll soon know whether Shane Wright will get exceptional status or not. Assuming he'll report to Flint, that improves everyone else's draft slot by one. Could help the Attack get into that elite group.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
If there's any consolation, we'll soon know whether Shane Wright will get exceptional status or not. Assuming he'll report to Flint, that improves everyone else's draft slot by one. Could help the Attack get into that elite group.

If Flint has the number one pick, Shane Wright will be going there.

Exceptional status wouldn't be given if he wasn't willing to go to the team that picks him IMO.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
There is a lot of skill in the top 8 in the draft.

It does fall off but their is still a lot of interesting prospects and a lot to like about this draft.

This is what teams have to work with. Need our development team to step up huge. But its not going to be a bad draft.

Please don’t take this as anything other then a general question, but how can you be that confident without a history of scouting/drafting?

I have a few friends who scout with teams (none with the Attack) and they have mentioned it’s a ‘down year’, as have some reputable posters on the draft thread.

Just curious where the discrepancy comes from

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Please don’t take this as anything other then a general question, but how can you be that confident without a history of scouting/drafting?

I have a few friends who scout with teams (none with the Attack) and they have mentioned it’s a ‘down year’, as have some reputable posters on the draft thread.

Just curious where the discrepancy comes from

I was agreeing with you.

I am just stating that it's not going to be as bad as some think. I have seen some really bad drafts, some without top heavy talent which this draft offers. I am just saying don't take anything of the prospects thread too serious. Some hear its going to be a bad draft and then run with it. I have seen a lot of MM games this year and their is a lot of talent. This is going to be one of those drafts where you fill holes in the line up. Likely not getting a steal in the 7th round but could develop a 7th rounder into a steal,

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Not every 1st Rd pick turns into a superstar. Many late round picks turn out pretty well.

Can't go strictly what people think of 15 year olds.

Depends who develops at the OHL level

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Draft lists change orders thousands of times during the season and hundreds of times during the draft.

Every team has it opinions on who they want with those high round 1-4 picks, between now and April 6th draft orders will change and change again for every team. Until players start being picked in the draft you could make hundreds of scenarios of who each team will pick come draft day.

As Millpond mentioned not every 1st rounder turns in a great player that's why this league is a development league.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Not every 1st Rd pick turns into a superstar. Many late round picks turn out pretty well.

Can't go strictly what people think of 15 year olds.

Depends who develops at the OHL level

Major reason why I don't buy the "Good Draft" or "Bad Draft" hype.

It's all about developing these players. You can have good drafts but if you don't develop players you are right back at sq1 .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack are on pace to increase their draft position .

Pretty much what I'dt expect after the selloff.

The Rangers 'keep pace', staying 2 pts ahead, and Hamilton creeps within a pt.

Realistically, the Attack should pick around 8.

There's 4 teams that could pass us,, the most likely Peterborough, or Hamilton .

That needs to happen to continue with the rebuild.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I’d like to have a look at the big picture. We started the season with one of the better teams in the league, minus an experienced veteran OHL goalkeeper. Without any picks and little else to trade there was ‘t much we could do. We wound up unloading a boatload of talented players at the trade deadline, mainly because of no picks or prospects for next season. The coach was fired and we have an interim coach, so there is a decision to be made. Where does all the point? It is the managers job to make sure we have trade bait when required and to be lining up players for the upcoming years. Also, how did we start the season with 6 quality overages. One might also think we might have gotten more back at the trade deadline if the trigger was pulled a little earlier. There appears to have been some things that could have been managed better with the team. Kind of an early recap of this season. For next season, with the right moves in the right places we can have a good team, but let’s not make all the mistAkes from this season happen again.
I like your "big picture" thinking, and I agree with some of the concerns you've raised. I think there's other things that can be pointed to (e.g., recent import drafts and priority selections). All in all, it seems that there's been a series of missteps at the management level the past couple of years. The coach was fired, which was a good move as it was clear it needed to happen (though was not the right guy in the first place...another misstep); still some question marks there, I'm not sure that I've seen the team response under Letang that I was expecting. We'll see how the rest of the year plays out.

I'd like to see the team do well now because I think the roster now will look very similar to next year's iteration. We stand to lose Sushko, Bourque, and Poirier. Most guys will be back. Could be a long year next season unless some guys take a big step forward in their development.

Cheering these guys on for sure.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Guys played a good game against the Spits.

Score was a little closer than what we would have liked but nevertheless a step forward in the right direction. As hockey fans we sometimes forget that these are kids and that we're watching them develop.

Tonight was a good example of how teams that develop their core of their club can pull wins out of a hat when they need to. They don't have to be picture perfect every time but more importantly they just have to work hard an play a full 60 minute effort and the results will appear on the scoreboard.

Reactions: Tickattack

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Good performance in Windsor. Break outs improving, crisp passing, line combos seemed to work .

Guzda was good. Nice to see the effort result in a win .

Saturday will be tough for everyone, fans included .

Looking for a good effort, not worried about the score sheet as much.
One more win pretty much gets a playoff appearance. Erie won't run the table.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Agreed. Erie has to play Guelph twice, and Missy twice. Can't see them winning those games. Also nice to see Doherty starting to shoot more instead of passing all the time. Boys had better powerplays as well. All good going forward. Also win on Sat. would be nice, just a good effort is all that I'd like to see.

Reactions: OSattackfan

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
If Flint has the number one pick, Shane Wright will be going there.

Exceptional status wouldn't be given if he wasn't willing to go to the team that picks him IMO.

Unless scouting staffs weren't doing their jobs which in this league is sheer impossible to believe now a days with all the computer programs and time and effort teams and scouting staffs put into getting a handle on who they could pick in the top-10, top-50 picks. Most players who are deemed EPS in the league will almost always 100% go to who picks them.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
In reading the prospect thread, I believe that it’s been suggested by a few posters with the knowledge of the draft that it’s actually the opposite, outside of 4/5 strong players there are no true standouts.

Still early days till official rankings set for teams but i do tend to agree that beyond a few guys that sound like they will be talented guys in the league there seems to be a more even playing field for talent that's suggested to go in the top rounds.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
re tonight's game, it will be nice for fans to honour and say goodbye to the 4 boys who were traded to Guelph. However, I hope fans get behind and show their support of our current team. These boys are the players who will be with us next year and maybe years to come.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
At least two gates for the ownership group. That is good. A bit of playoff experience for the young guys is also helpful. Can't see the season lasting much longer unless one of the goalies figures it out.

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
At least two gates for the ownership group. That is good. A bit of playoff experience for the young guys is also helpful. Can't see the season lasting much longer unless one of the goalies figures it out.
pretty lame duck to say it's on the goalies not the team as a whole.
The goalies have been taking a big hit against but both have also been making huge saves too. I think the big problem is the overall backend, Goalies and D. Goalies have to stop the easy ones and D need to play D and not just stand around(arguably our real weakness). Forwards have stepped up offensive production but need to improve the back checking and picking up a player. The whole team needs to get turnovers under control, they keep coming back to bite us. Overall seeing positive things moving forward!!

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
Groulx lands a beauty on Tucker. How the heck do the refs get a 4 minute high sticking call from that?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Groulx lands a beauty on Tucker. How the heck do the refs get a 4 minute high sticking call from that?

Interestingly, the refs or linesman did not look at a replay, never stopped the play, and only conferred after Hawerchuk blew his top.

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
Looking forward to the playoffs. We may go out in round one, but I can tell you this team will not lay down for anyone!!! If the Soo beats us, they will have to earn it! Go get em boys!!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad