Post-Game Talk: Ovi's Mad: Pens win 4-3

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Why do you people refuse to use the Ignore List? There are a handful of posters whose names I now only see when the rest of you quote them. Invariably, you guys quote them only to point out their lunacy. Why not just add them to the Ignore List?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Why do you people refuse to use the Ignore List? There are a handful of posters whose names I now only see when the rest of you quote them. Invariably, you guys quote them only to point out their lunacy. Why not just add them to the Ignore List?

I ll feel like I am missing out.

Pens fans.
Unite go vote Letang over Subban in the polls section.
seriously Letang are best player that isn't Fleury this year is getting shrek and it's embarrassing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They might develop a winger by the time Cleveland develops a QB. :cry:

Never thought I would see the Stains and Penguins compared for being so futile at something... but I can't even debate the point because it's pretty accurate.

As long as they don't hurt the feelings of Kunitz or Adams, and they are happy, that's what matters. Plus physics and stuff.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
2. He hasn't regressed at all he's been playing really well. Don't care about the PP time against Chicago, they have bigger issues getting the real PP guys straightened out. Also don't care about OT time. He should be in the rotation above Kunitz but its a non issue.

FWIW, I think he has regressed also. He seems to be hesitating/second guessing plays that used to be instinctual and forcing low percentage shots. It is like he is stuck between 2 styles of play, his own and maybe one envisioned by the coaches.

Nothing steady playing time shouldn't fix but still a little troubling.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Uh, he isn't on the third line. If he was, and got rolled over shifts there, I would have no problem with it.

BB game has regressed since he was benched and now he is being regulated to fourth line minutes. When he was the best player on the ice agt Chi, he didn't get a second of PP time or a single shift in OT.

Now Downie is taking his shifts on the third line. With Winnik coming in, he isn't going to suddenly get more minutes.

I also believe Capps sources that they tried to trade BB and it fell through. It makes a lot of sense when you look at the odd scratchings and now his ice time keeps dwindling.

And putting up 40 points while showing you can play top six minutes, is an attainable goal, that would put substantial value on BB in a trade.

Just like there is a significant difference after a year in Despres' value, there will be with BB if he isn't jerked around.

I think the time for MJ to reward players for a good game with PP time or more ice time in a good game is over as we getting closer to the deadline, there is a more pressing urge to see how special teams/forward pairings are going to work, if it can't be fixed, then there's more work for JR. I feel MJ is prepping the team for playoffs as opposed to just winning regular season games, so some decisions are going to look frustrating right now.

Part of me thinks that no matter how well BB plays, the Pens are going to run Winnik-Sutter-Downie for the third line in playoffs as our shutdown line, that line looks very good on paper. Downie's defensive capabilities is better than BB's at this point, I'm not sure where BB will have a place in the line up if that's the case, he's absolutely wasted on the 4th line.

Last shout out to the best GDT I've seen in a long time. Really enjoyed it. :yo:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I think the time for MJ to reward players for a good game with PP time or more ice time in a good game is over as we getting closer to the deadline, there is a more pressing urge to see how special teams/forward pairings are going to work, if it can't be fixed, then there's more work for JR. I feel MJ is prepping the team for playoffs as opposed to just winning regular season games, so some decisions are going to look frustrating right now.

Part of me thinks that no matter how well BB plays, the Pens are going to run Winnik-Sutter-Downie for the third line in playoffs as our shutdown line, that line looks very good on paper. Downie's defensive capabilities is better than BB's at this point, I'm not sure where BB will have a place in the line up if that's the case, he's absolutely wasted on the 4th line.

are you ****ing kidding me

how are these not the same thing

downie is also not at all a better defensive player than bennett and if they wanted an only shutdown third line they'd play spaling there

essentially the possible bottom sixes are

winnick-sutter-downie
spaling-lapierre-adams

aka a decent third and an unimaginably awful fourth

winnick-sutter-bennett
spaling-lapierre-downie

two great lines at both ends

winnick-sutter-downie
spaling-lapierre-bennett

two ok lines

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
also, barry trotz is a very good coach. nothing against johnston because i blame the organization for most of this team's struggles rather than him, but this team would be in a much better place with barry trotz at the helm.

unfortunate that the stars aligned for the caps to get him rather than the pens.

have people read the quotes from trotz about how the caps let OV get away with too much, and didnt hold him to a high enough standard/give him good instructions? someone in the pens organization needs to put sid in his place, me thinks.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
also, barry trotz is a great coach. nothing against johnston because i blame the organization for most of this team's struggles rather than him, but this team would be in a much better place with barry trotz at the helm.

unfortunate that the stars aligned for the caps to get him rather than the pens.

Are you talking about Mr. I can't get out of the second round to save my life even though I have the best defense in the league?

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
are you ****ing kidding me

how are these not the same thing

downie is also not at all a better defensive player than bennett and if they wanted an only shutdown third line they'd play spaling there

essentially the possible bottom sixes are

winnick-sutter-downie
spaling-lapierre-adams

aka a decent third and an unimaginably awful fourth

winnick-sutter-bennett
spaling-lapierre-downie

two great lines at both ends

winnick-sutter-downie
spaling-lapierre-bennett

two ok lines

Because the team practiced their PP during practices, and there obviously isn't a long-term plan to include BB in the PP. The coaching staff needs to see if the new things they're trying would work in game.

Now if your complaint is that BB should be on PP2 (which is legit), then it's different. But try replacing BB with another player in another game, if Adams was flying out there in a game, I still wouldn't want him to be given time on the PP as a reward.

Yeah, no, I think Downie is better defensively than Bennett is. And I've got Winnik/Downie over Spaling as MJ likes having his right handed shooters on the right (Downie) and Spaling shoots left and Winnik is better.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Trotz is a good defensive coach but theres a reason he went to Washington. He needs a big D-core to get what he wants done. With the small puck movers the Pens have, Trotz would have issues here, imo.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Basically, Adams will play over BB, and thats my point in a nutshell.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Basically, Adams will play over BB, and thats my point in a nutshell.

I don't think so. Adams gets his PK time over BB, but Adams has been kept to the 4th line all season long, even when our line up was filled with WBS players (Rust/Ebbett/Farnham), Adams was only ever played on the 4th line.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think so. Adams gets his PK time over BB, but Adams has been kept to the 4th line all season long, even when our line up was filled with WBS players (Rust/Ebbett/Farnham), Adams was only ever played on the 4th line.

BB was moved to the fourth line. So now it's between him and Adams for the last helmet.

Based on the last five years, what evidence do we have Adams will sit?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Because the team practiced their PP during practices, and there obviously isn't a long-term plan to include BB in the PP. The coaching staff needs to see if the new things they're trying would work in game.

Now if your complaint is that BB should be on PP2 (which is legit), then it's different. But try replacing BB with another player in another game, if Adams was flying out there in a game, I still wouldn't want him to be given time on the PP as a reward.

1. the coaching staff should not be locked into any lineup decisions before the trade deadline
2. the adams to bennett comparison is so patently ridiculous i can't believe you would right that like it was a legit point

Yeah, no, I think Downie is better defensively than Bennett is. And I've got Winnik/Downie over Spaling as MJ likes having his right handed shooters on the right (Downie) and Spaling shoots left and Winnik is better.

1. yeah no i disagreed obviously
2. and he's slower too!
3. i was talking about replacing downie with spaling
4. handedness doesn't seem to be a factor in deciding bennett's position

Fordy

May 28, 2008
BB was moved to the fourth line. So now it's between him and Adams for the last helmet.

that adams just sat the game before losing a roster player and that winnick completely replaces adams only "utility"

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not so sure about Adams getting the nod over Bennett. Lately, Adams and Sill have been rotating on 4th-line line rushes in practice. Adams is the more recent healthy scratch. The 4th line last night was rather good with Lappy and Bennett carrying the load. MJ has to see that.

But he will probably rest some guys down the stretch here and tinker a little bit. He's gonna wanna see what works best before the playoffs.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Trade for Jagr, insert him on second line RW and move Comaeu to 3rd line

39-87-72
14-71-68
winnik-16-17
13-40-23/27

Done

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Beau with Malkin should be scoring at a 55+ point pace. I could see Beau hitting 25 goals and with his play making maybe get Malkin back to 40+ goals.

He is are one shot at a cheap forward in the top 6 that can create

he still wouldn't be getting significant powerplay time even playing with Geno. There were only 16 players in the league last year who scored 50 or more even strength points. Brad Marchand was the only 50 point player last year that didn't also have at least 10 powerplay points. 55+ points is a lot of points to score without being on the top powerplay.

25 goals is even harder. Marchand, Nash and Nyquist were the only 3 25 goal scorers without at least 10 PP points as well. 33 players scored 20 or more even strength goals last year. Right now, Geno is leading the Pens with 16 ES goals and 8 PP goals.

I think he can be really good with Geno. I just think expecting 55+ points is a bit much considering the circumstances.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

39-87-72
14-71-68
winnik-16-17
13-40-23/27

Done

I don't think that works without money coming off the roster. Kunitz, Sutter or a higher paid D-Man would have to go.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

39-87-72
14-71-68
winnik-16-17
13-40-23/27

Done

If you bring in Jagr and keep Kunitz with Geno, I will riot.

Comeau-Geno-Jagr

There is absolutely no debating who is better at playing with Geno at this point between Kunitz and Comeau. Its Comeau by a mile.

I don't think that works without money coming off the roster. Kunitz, Sutter or a higher paid D-Man would have to go.

Please

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
1. the coaching staff should not be locked into any lineup decisions before the trade deadline
2. the adams to bennett comparison is so patently ridiculous i can't believe you would right that like it was a legit point

1. I was referring to PP line ups, that after practicing something, the coaches need a game to see if it works especially with fewer games to deadline to go.
2. I used Adams as an extreme example. If it were any player who isn't on either PP flying during a game now, it'd be the same thing. the team needs to see what they can do with what they have to know what they need.

1. yeah no i disagreed obviously
2. and he's slower too!
3. i was talking about replacing downie with spaling
4. handedness doesn't seem to be a factor in deciding bennett's position
1. We'll just have agree to disagree.
2. I agree with you there.
3. Yeah, I know. Spaling and Winnik shoot left, Downie shoots right.
4. I always assumed that had to do with Bennett and Sutter having so much chemistry that he fits well on either side, he's always been on the RW otherwise hasn't he?

He's already been sat.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

39-87-72
14-71-68
winnik-16-17
13-40-23/27

Done

Kunitz needs to either be traded, or moved to the third line.

Also, has there been any word on what number Winnik will be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad