Post-Game Talk: Ovi's Mad: Pens win 4-3

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
2g, 5a, +4 in 3 games = Geno in I AM RELAX mode. :laugh:

EDIT: Weird . . . 15:55 TOI, only 1 official SOG, only credited with 3 takeaways (I thought he had 3 in one shift), and 1-12 in the FO circle. I can live with that last one if he plays like this.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Your ice time suffers when you go 1-12 in the faceoff circle because your coach can't trust you to put you out after a whistle. Especially when the other coach has last change.

That's a good call. Sucks, but it is going to lose him some shifts.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid didn't have a ton of jump offensively but I thought him and his line battled real hard. Malkin was outstanding. Even Sutter was pretty good.

I still think we need another forward. We'll see how things look with Winnik, but if we got say Jagr then we could run some real strong lines.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Sid didn't have a ton of jump offensively but I thought him and his line battled real hard. Malkin was outstanding. Even Sutter was pretty good.

I still think we need another forward. We'll see how things look with Winnik, but if we got say Jagr then we could run some real strong lines.

Sid and Perron just aren't clicking as well as they're capable of.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I think faceoffs are overrated as ****. I'd rather have Geno out and have him lose a faceoff than have Sutter out and have Sutter win some but get killed in possession. Geno is still way more of a net gain when he's on the ice even if he's losing draws.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Not ideal but there´s a clear progress lately. That pathetic loss vs the Jackets might be the best thing that could happen for this team. Just switch Adams for Winnik now and fix that powerplay some more. Deserved win anyway, we were the better team and pretty much controlled this game, even though the final score looks close.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

It's also the wrong call in this one. Plus, there were a few he 'lost' where, for example, that last defensive one he won back towards Martin who was soft and lost it.

Malkin's gotta start winning his faceoffs, though. He won one all night - one. That's why his ice time wasn't higher.

It's dumb coaching, and if you're not going to play Malkin for it, with the way he was going tonight, it's going to cost the Pens in the playoffs.

Michael8771*

I love Geno, but lets not forget, on the 2hd caps goal, he did a drive by which helped enable the caps to score. He's got to better in the backcheck there.

Glad we won, but damn that wasn't easy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think faceoffs are overrated as ****. I'd rather have Geno out and have him lose a faceoff than have Sutter out and have Sutter win some but get killed in possession. Geno is still way more of a net gain when he's on the ice even if he's losing draws.

I don't agree at all. Possession is important, and faceoffs decide possession...

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
The 6 d-men dressed tonight should be the group that plays throughout the playoffs. No Bortuzzo.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
++ Malkin
++ Pressure in their half of the rink
+ Horny
- Losing our calm and getting disorganised
- Bad penalty by Fleu, he was only average tonight.
- Pouliot was shaky in the 2nd half. Wasn't really engaging in the battles, was just throwing his stick in there. Wasn't as calm as usual with the puck either, he flubbed it a bunch behind our net.

We could have easily shut them out tonight if we'd kept our cool (and if Scuds hadn't let his guy beat him to the net). Some good things and some bad. We're definitely not ready for the playoffs yet.

shaler79

May 7, 2013
Michigan
+ Fleury even though I thought it was kind of embellishing with Ward. Kept us in the game except for losing his cool at the end with the hack and facewash
+ Scuderi was actually playing pretty well before he got hurt
+ Pouliot thought he handled the extra ice time and the Caps' size pretty well
+ Geno in beast mode tonight

---Powerplay coaching get Geno off the frickin point on the power play. You have Pouliot, Letang, Martin and Erhoff that all can run the powerplay and not give up horrific shorthanded chances

Michael8771*

Malkin's gotta start winning his faceoffs, though. He won one all night - one. That's why his ice time wasn't higher.
You're right, Geno did a lot of good things but yep, this is another issue.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
+ for us giving it to them.
+pretty much everyone but Adams
--------HCMJ putting BB not the freaking fourth line

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Good win. Little rough, but good win.

Don't know why anyone's ripping the coach after this. He needs to be getting a big, big plus on this one. Not only did a change to the forecheck see us spend the entire first in their end, but by the third, Trotz was running from certain matchups. Sending mishmash lines that needed on the fly changes before the components were together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad