Post-Game Talk: Ovi's Mad: Pens win 4-3

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Was it me, or did it seem the Pens had one of the smallest turnouts ever?
On TV...it seemed like it was 90/10.
Yea, when the Pens scored you heard a cheer, but it was not as loud, nor sustained, as usual, and I never heard much of a "Lets Go Pens" chant.

I went back in 2013 and it was 20-25% (maybe) Pens fans.
Usually PIT brings by far the most of anyteam, given their overall popularity, high proportion of transplants, and close location.

To me, it seemed that PIT brought less than Boston/Philly and others this season.

1) Was this the case?

2) If so, why?
-I'd think the Pens would travel great AND given the Caps are coming off a season with the playoffs, ticket demand would be easier.
-Is it due to the Pens being here on weeknights?

3) Further, just a thought, but is it possible that the reason the Pens play so few games on weekends in DC is a deliberate effort to by Ted (who is in with Bettman) to avoid those dates where Pens fans could be more present?

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'd prefer they kept BB, but Capp has been right in the past with his sources. So if he says they tried to trade BB, that is bothersome and at the core of my frustration with the situation right now.

Perhaps some other team values him more than I would think, but I doubt the deal would have fell through if both teams were happy with the return. So something was amiss, obviously.

If BB plays with Malkin next season, stays healthy and puts up 40 points, there isn't even a debate that his value will be substantially higher than it is now.

The fact that they probably were talking about moving him while his value is this low, seems awfully stupid IMHO. For an org that is woeful at developing skilled fwds, you have to wonder what they are thinking. They honestly deserve zero benefit of the doubt, because it is a proven fact they have no idea how to draft and develop skilled fwds.

Its gotten truly ridiculous and its time they start trying to figure out what is at the root cause of this extremely disturbing 20 year trend.

Jiggy -- I didn't see what Capp said, regarding what may have been a trade of BB that fell through, but I wonder, is it possible that the Pens were not LOOKING to move him, but they were trying to acquire someone and that someone's team ASKED for BB? Or, given whatever it was that Capp was told, is that likely not how it was going down? Reason I ask is, I agree with you that they are not handling BB's development well, and it is IMO not a good idea to trade him -- and it is ESPECIALLY not a good idea to TRY to deal him, when his value is at a low point. That's why I wonder if he was being moved because someone ASKED for him, as a part of a deal. I do agree, though, that him being a part of a deal they were piecing together is the reason for the healthy scratches...

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was a defensive dman in my hockey career so I am not a pro at this. I just was always infatuated with faceoffs. There are so many techniques to use.

I don't think faceoffs rely on skill. I think it's a game of chess. You have to know what your opponent is doing and find a way to take it away while setting up your move. Quickest hands do not always win. Geno never seemed like a chess player. He just takes out your queen on the first move by dominating. :laugh:

I could be wrong. I think it's mostly technique and still a skill not overly taught in early days of hockey.

Technique does trump skill in faceoffs, without a question. But when you have hands to fish a puck out of anywhere at will, and sift through defenders like Malkin does, with his size and puck handling ability, there zero reason for him to be as horrible on faceoffs. His size is the the frustrating thing here, because you can win faceoffs by just out muscling a guy. Geno has never muscled up on an opposing center at the dot. Ever.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy -- I didn't see what Capp said, regarding what may have been a trade of BB that fell through, but I wonder, is it possible that the Pens were not LOOKING to move him, but they were trying to acquire someone and that someone's team ASKED for BB? Or, given whatever it was that Capp was told, is that likely not how it was going down? Reason I ask is, I agree with you that they are not handling BB's development well, and it is IMO not a good idea to trade him -- and it is ESPECIALLY not a good idea to TRY to deal him, when his value is at a low point. That's why I wonder if he was being moved because someone ASKED for him, as a part of a deal. I do agree, though, that him being a part of a deal they were piecing together is the reason for the healthy scratches...

It's possible, that is the case.

The way he is being handled, maybe it's obvious they aren't going to move him since they are killing his value.

I guess we will know for sure in a few days, but this reeks of the Despres situation.

Here is what Capp said:

It's my understanding that when Bennett was scratched and scratched and scratched that there was a deal in place but it fell through. I don't know if something will happen in that department now.

Last edited:

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

The way he is being handled, maybe it's obvious they aren't going to move him since they are killing his value.

I guess we will know for sure in a few days, but this reeks of the Despres situation.

Here is what Capp said:

If it was for E. Kane that would actually make a lot of sense based on the timing and one poster claiming inside info that he was coming here. Then he needs surgery and boom the deals off. Total conjecture on my part, but the facts could add up

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK

Here is what Capp said:

Thanks for the additional info, Jiggy.

I LIKE to think, and it still makes sense after reading Capp's words, that they are not actively shopping BB, but instead that someone wanted him as a part of a deal that ended up falling through in the end.

Whatever the case, as you say, we will find out in a few days. Hopefully, he is still here, as I do think we are the LAST team that should be shopping a promising, young, talented winger who hasn't had even two full seasons worth of development time in the pros...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
If it was for E. Kane that would actually make a lot of sense based on the timing and one poster claiming inside info that he was coming here. Then he needs surgery and boom the deals off. Total conjecture on my part, but the facts could add up

I agree with you, Merlin; that's what I was thinking at the time. And, if this speculation is accurate, THAT would make sense -- as an E. Kane trade would be one of the few scenarios where it could be argued that moving BB was warranted (IMO). And I feel a whole lot better about the Pens' staff if THAT was the scenario that BB was being moved for, and not that they are actively shopping him...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It makes sense with regard to the timeline, but we'd have to add a Hell of a lot to get Kane for Bennett. Buffalo moved a 6'8", 25 year old defenseman that was a Calder trophy winner, Stafford (a solid roster player), two very, very good prospects and a 1st rounder to get Kane and Bogosian. I don't think Bennett even gets Winnipeg talking.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Bennett's trade value alone is scant. Around the league he's little more than an unproven tweener who's been injured since his draft day.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It makes sense with regard to the timeline, but we'd have to add a Hell of a lot to get Kane for Bennett. Buffalo moved a 6'8", 25 year old defenseman that was a Calder trophy winner, Stafford (a solid roster player), two very, very good prospects and a 1st rounder to get Kane and Bogosian. I don't think Bennett even gets Winnipeg talking.

I don't think for one second Bennett would have been the only piece. It was probably something along the lines of DP51-BB-Roster Player and a draft pick or 2

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still love that deal from Buffalo's point of view. It will pay off for them.

May 10, 2010
Yea, when the Pens scored you heard a cheer, but it was not as loud, nor sustained, as usual, and I never heard much of a "Lets Go Pens" chant.

Usually PIT brings by far the most of anyteam, given their overall popularity, high proportion of transplants, and close location.

Because spending $200 to go to the enemy arena when you have scored 1 goal in the previous 3 games sucks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Thanks for the additional info, Jiggy.

I LIKE to think, and it still makes sense after reading Capp's words, that they are not actively shopping BB, but instead that someone wanted him as a part of a deal that ended up falling through in the end.

Whatever the case, as you say, we will find out in a few days. Hopefully, he is still here, as I do think we are the LAST team that should be shopping a promising, young, talented winger who hasn't had even two full seasons worth of development time in the pros...

Who knows, really. I just can't see any scenario where it makes sense to move BB. This org simply isn't in a position to sell low on one of their rare young skilled fwds.

If he stays healthy next season and is given a chance with Malkin and can't hang, then I can see a case for moving him. Or if he does well, then you can get good value back. Or maybe you just keep the guy which makes the most sense.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK

Oh, ABSOLUTELY, Coach. NEVER did I mean to imply that BB for EK at anything CLOSE to straight up, was what I thought was on the table. I have no idea who the other pieces were from the Pens that were going that direction, but I am CERTAIN BB was not the centerpiece. I'm guessing the Pens had a package offered, and the Winnipeg wanted more -- and BB was the "more" that they wanted.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough -- it'd be foolish to think that BB was the centerpiece...

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

To me, it seemed that PIT brought less than Boston/Philly and others this season.

Your premise might be faulty here. TV is a terrible indicator.

From reporters who were actually in the building:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad