Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm super excited about highlight saving.

I just use the capture on the Xbox. Watch a highlight, press XBOX button then X. Last 30 seconds of gameplay saved. Easier IMO. Plus, accessible from the Xbox App on my smartphone so I can show off to my friends really easily.

Anyways,
I seem to be having this issue lately. Every single rank match I joined over the weekend someone would quit. Game would cancel. In non-ranked every single team had a McRee, Widowmaker and Hanzo. TOO MANY SNIPERS! While the opposing team was super balanced. Lost a lot this weekend.

So annoying.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Seems way too good. He has the charge from Reinhardt, jump from Winston, shotgun from Reaper and mobility of Genji...and the ult can go through buildings so there's no way to dodge that

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Doomfist seems like fun, but this game is starving for another defence or support type character...enough tanks and DPS characters for now please. I have no idea what Athena's role will be when she's introduced, but just by the looks of her she's what I want introduced (some sort of AI based map control character).

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Strange they drop Doomfist the same day reports start coming out of Korea that a lot of pros are sick of the stagnation with the current meta. And most of it is at the hands of Blizzard.

It's all dive, all the time. Any dive counters have since been neutered. Zarya can't sustain energy anymore, Hog is completely useless in his current state, Rein is busted beyond belief because of bugs/hit detection issues, and Orisa is....there.

Doomfist will likely further perpetuate this and perhaps even cement the seldom used 3 DPS (Tracer/Genji/Doomfist) one tank (Winston) one healer (Lucio) as the way to go

So out of a pool of now 25 heroes, you have roughly 9 or 10 that are useful;

Tracer
Genji
D.Va
Winston
Lucio
Zenyatta
Soldier (seldom used depending on situation)

And then you have another 3 or 4 that are only useful in very specific situations

Sombra (Anubis point B)
Pharah (KOTH pick)
Mercy (KOTH pick/literally only rez fodder/pocket healer)

Even a totally viable character like Ana has been shunned since she can't keep up with the fast moving meta.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think Doomfist is actually a really good dive counter. Huge Winston counter and D.Va can't defense matrix any of his strong abilities.

Meanwhile, Orisa and Sombra definitely seem like they would be big Doomfist counters. It's definitely possible he breaks up the dive meta, even though he fits in it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Supposedly Kaplan is on record saying he's a fan of the dive comp as its 'high skill' characters doing what they do best, and that generally he feels like OW is balanced at the moment and changes shouldn't be made just for the sake of altering pro pick rates /"the meta".

Read though that while Doomfist can get into a situation, he lacks escape tools?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Read though that while Doomfist can get into a situation, he lacks escape tools?

His escape tools are the same as his initiation tools, plus his punch has windup time anyway. If he uses them to dive, he needs to secure damage right away to get his shields up. At 250hp, he's not particularly squishy (same health as Reaper and Mei), and if he ends up getting shields via damage, he can sustain a bit.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Supposedly Kaplan is on record saying he's a fan of the dive comp as its 'high skill' characters doing what they do best, and that generally he feels like OW is balanced at the moment and changes shouldn't be made just for the sake of altering pro pick rates /"the meta".

Lol Kaplan again doesn't know what he's talking about. Dive comp is the worst thing in the game, I'd rather have 3 tank meta back. Also the game is far from balanced, when half of the heroes shouldn't even be used then no its not balanced.

The guy is a talking walking meme.

Glad Im taking a break, I'll come back for a good event or once the dive comp isnt as viable.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The game isn't balanced by any stretch, and now that it's been out for over a year the flaws are crystal ****ing clear imo.

Characters: 33% of the cast aren't worth a crap. Some characters are utterly useless (Junkrat, Mei due to poor DPS, Roadhog post nerf)

Game modes:

2CP was awful on launch and still is awful. Favors defense way too heavily. Blizzard said they'd work on it, then release a new 2CP map has a spawn that is somehow closer to point than Hanamura and the industrial map

KOTH: junk because of Pharmercy since whoever has the better combo wins easily

Hybrid and Payload are good imo, but it doesn't matter when half the map rotation is junk.

I'm fully checked out on it at this point lol.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Lol Kaplan again doesn't know what he's talking about. Dive comp is the worst thing in the game, I'd rather have 3 tank meta back. Also the game is far from balanced, when half of the heroes shouldn't even be used then no its not balanced.

The guy is a talking walking meme.

Glad Im taking a break, I'll come back for a good event or once the dive comp isnt as viable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6lwhxd/huge_post_from_jeff_kaplan_about_his_opinion_on/

It's worth a read.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There will always be strategies that are the most successful at any point. And people will always complain about them and call them "broken" or the game "unbalanced." Every competitive game has issues like these.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
There will always be strategies that are the most successful at any point. And people will always complain about them and call them "broken" or the game "unbalanced." Every competitive game has issues like these.

Well said. In any given situation / map there will be a character that is more OP than another. Lets not forget the person playing that character too.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
As much as they kick and scream that they won't do it they will eventually need a ban system to keep the competitive scene fresh.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
How are people liking Doomfist?

I haven't booted up OW in a few days.

I played the Doomfist elimination game and wasn't much of a fan of him. His moves remind me of the melee comment in Halo 5, TBH. The same charge-up arial attack (even similar looking trajectory and aesthetics). It'll be interesting to see how he interacts with other heroes, though. But I'm definitely not a fan.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
He feels too vulnerable to effectively get into a close range fight. He'll have his use, such as KoH, but he's definitely going to have a Sombra-like hill to climb where it takes awhile to figure out his niche and improve him properly. The charge up has weird mechanics where it sends you horizontally, but not vertically. So if you're mid-air you can't properly aim.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks.

I can see the Sombra comparison. He looks pretty wonky if I want to put a technical term on it. Just doesn't *seem* to fit the mold of the OW universe to me but like other characters I have thought that of I am sure they will grow on me.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It's gonna do nothing to change the way the game is played so who cares.

I wouldn't say that, he can actually be a shield counter. I saw the other day where Doomfist broke through a Reinhardt shield with relative ease, before getting chewed apart and murdered.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Gotta love how busted Doomfist is even after 2 weeks of PTR testing.

- His stupid punch somehow magically ignores McCree's flashbang. A few times i threw it as i caught him mid charge animation (as in he was sitting there and building up power), got the stun and yet he somehow gets his punch off mid stun and kills me anyway. Flashbang can shut down literally everything from ultimate to a damn Reinhardt charge as he's in the middle of it.

- He can punch people around or through walls, corners and even above them when he's supposed to punch in a straight arc. It's basically the original Hog hook hitbox come back to life.

- Calculations show he can one shot 19 of the game's 25 heroes as long as there's a wall around. Given how choke point-y maps can be, this is a problem.

- His ult is also total garbage. I have no problem with being able to move yourself through walls as you look for a target but you should not be able to literally smash through a roof with it.

**** Blizzard. They claim Roadhog being able to one shot people was "unhealthy" for the game (despite him being incredibly easy to counter for anyone above bronze rank) and then they let this garbage go through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad