Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I started playing ranked. My SR is 2,012 and I'm gold. Played Sym about 90% of the time on defense and had play of the game three times of the about 25 matches I played. Not too bad. Definitely took out a few Pharah's but you guys are right that the ones in ranked are a lot better. In fact I started playing Pharah myself. Now I play her and D.Va or Mercy along with Sym.

Anyways, I don't think that's too bad. Ranked is a lot more fun and I get a lot less frustrated haha.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I climbed to around 3400 last night, had a blast killing all the Syms that have been showing up. Even my Zen game has been wrecking them. They placed me under 3k for the first time in awhile, went like 2-7-1 or something awful.

Oddly enough, Sombra was a god in the matches I played. Must be her high skill cap.

Sym potg is nice, I had a few myself. Lucio, Rein, Zen and Torb.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I climbed to around 3400 last night, had a blast killing all the Syms that have been showing up. Even my Zen game has been wrecking them. They placed me under 3k for the first time in awhile, went like 2-7-1 or something awful.

Oddly enough, Sombra was a god in the matches I played. Must be her high skill cap.

Sym potg is nice, I had a few myself. Lucio, Rein, Zen and Torb.

I have yet to see anyone else get POTG with Sym. What's more fun than killing camping Syms is destroying Pharah's and they end up switching. :yo:

Make It Biznasty*

Jul 18, 2012
She can't fly forever. Its not hard to get turrets around wherever the Pharah player is landing and taking off from because most people hardly look below. I am not saying Symmetra is the be-all-end-all of being able to take her out but shes one of the best I have found to handle her. Exacly why I personally do better against Pharah players with Symmetra than anyone else. Plus Pharah cannot get close to you at all if you are Symmetra. Easily one of the best defensive players that I personally can play with.

Maybe it is the people I play with I don't know. Sheilds temporarily slow her down much like she cannot fly forever.

To say Symmetra is a non-factor against a marginally good Pharah player is just asinine. I have killed many Phara's with Sym. Good ones too who are getting plays of the game and 20+ eliminations a round. Again, not saying she is a be-all-end-all but "non-factor"? Come on dude, maybe you just haven't seen or played with a good Sym player yet.
been said enough

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Sombra's effectively is often tied to the coordination of a team. Being able to quickly capitalize on a hacked target is huge. Just as important is remaining aware of her hacked health packs and using them to quickly charge her EMP.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I got roped into doing some placements with a friend of mine.

I hate competitive so much. You got Mercys who don't even use rez and braindead Symmetras and Torbs who refuse to switch. Explain why i hvae to constantly get myself out of gold every god damn season when i've been platinum every season with the exception of the first one?

idgaf rank in team based game is dumb as ****.

Seems like gold is the comfort zone for idiots. Silver has the people who are decent at the game but don't have the time (likely because of more important stuff like family/work/school etc) and platinum is the salt zone.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Pretty much every rank is salt mode. Where I am at Masters, you see a lot of GM/Top 500 Smurfs who only play one hero, so if something goes wrong there's going to be a lot of salt considering they won't switch.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Silver I wouldn't say there's a lot of salt, at least not on PS4. But that's cause most people aren't on mic to begin with :laugh:

But when you get a group on voice, generally it comes together decently.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I've played Symmetra only like 10 times and I think that I've had the POTG 4-5 times. I feel like it's rather easy to get it with turrets.

I play PS4 tho when it's harder to shoot the turrets maybe that's why?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I've played Symmetra only like 10 times and I think that I've had the POTG 4-5 times. I feel like it's rather easy to get it with turrets.

I play PS4 tho when it's harder to shoot the turrets maybe that's why?

What's great is I usually get tons of 'likes' at the end too because putting up a teleporter in a good spot is so invaluable. Cant tell you how many games I have won in OT because of this. I play on XO I don't find it hard at all to shoot down the turrets when I play against a sym.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I just went 7-2-1 in my placement games, and ended up with a 2022 ranking. How the hell did that happen? In the past, I've been around 2500. To be fair, my team should have won the draw, but one of the losses was completely hopeless (supports that don't heal, noobs playing Hanzo and Widow that don't even get kills).

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I just went 7-2-1 in my placement games, and ended up with a 2022 ranking. How the hell did that happen? In the past, I've been around 2500. To be fair, my team should have won the draw, but one of the losses was completely hopeless (supports that don't heal, noobs playing Hanzo and Widow that don't even get kills).

Your placement is more due to your own performance than your W/L ratio. That's why I have gone 7-3 and 2-7-1 and been placed relatively the same place.

Additionally, if you change class of characters your performance will change significantly in how they evaluate you. My placement was different when I switched from mostly a Tank main (Rein) to Support main. I think it has to do with your impact on the matches and thus your performance changes. Someone like Rein (while invaluable) doesn't always dominant the game directly. Whereas a stalwart healer gets involved heavily.

From there I think your performance last season also comes into play, I've knocked on Masters 3 seasons in a row but never quite made it. I have placed 2900-3100 each one of those seasons.

Last edited:

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
My playtime had seen a dip lately because of increased work and improved weather, but I had an amazing streak last night playing as Zenyatta and I think I'm hooked again (especially as Zen...dude can be lethal while still doing a lot of healing).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Your placement is more due to your own performance than your W/L ratio. That's why I have gone 7-3 and 2-7-1 and been placed relatively the same place.

Additionally, if you change class of characters your performance will change significantly in how they evaluate you. My placement was different when I switched from mostly a Tank main (Rein) to Support main. I think it has to do with your impact on the matches and thus your performance changes. Someone like Rein (while invaluable) doesn't always dominant the game directly. Whereas a stalwart healer gets involved heavily.

From there I think your performance last season also comes into play, I've knocked on Masters 3 seasons in a row but never quite made it. I have placed 2900-3100 each one of those seasons.

That's surprising, because I usually averaged at least 2-3 gold medals per game. There were a few games I got 1 gold medal and 2-3 silvers because I switched to a healer mid-game or something like that. I also got 2-3 play of the games. I usually played Pharah or Road Hog, while sometimes playing Mercy/Lucio when we needed support. 3-4 games we absolutely crushed the other team (they couldn't get out of their spawn).

I'm a bit confused. I felt like I'd be placed around 2400 - 2600 based on my past. If gold medals are the key indicator for performance, then I am really confused. I'm also someone that goes for the objective and doesn't care about K/D ratio.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
That's surprising, because I usually averaged at least 2-3 gold medals per game. There were a few games I got 1 gold medal and 2-3 silvers because I switched to a healer mid-game or something like that. I also got 2-3 play of the games. I usually played Pharah or Road Hog, while sometimes playing Mercy/Lucio when we needed support. 3-4 games we absolutely crushed the other team (they couldn't get out of their spawn).

I'm a bit confused. I felt like I'd be placed around 2400 - 2600 based on my past. If gold medals are the key indicator for performance, then I am really confused. I'm also someone that goes for the objective and doesn't care about K/D ratio.
Yup. I will get a much higher score, more medals, more eliminations, better objective time and not die nearly as much on a losing team and lose SR or not gain much at all.

Winning and losing absolutely effects your SR.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Yup. I will get a much higher score, more medals, more eliminations, better objective time and not die nearly as much on a losing team and lose SR or not gain much at all.

Winning and losing absolutely effects your SR.

Your SR and your placement are not the same. Win/Loss does not impact placement much at all. Win/Loss determines if you go up or down in SR and the amount is based on your performance.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
heres my placement history

S1 - Low Plat, (3-7) didnt play much after placement
S2 - Didnt Place
S3 - Low Plat, (5-5) climbed a little but stayed plat
S4 - High Gold, (4-6) did placement games on last day of season
S5 - High Silver, (8-2) placed on 2nd day of season, felt disappointed. Tryharded as Zarya every game and was getting Gold medals every game. what can you do I guess. I suppose I dont have much experience to go by since I didnt really play in S2+4

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The ranking needs to be more heavily performanced based imo. Like it's not fair to dump people who consistently medal into lower ranks because it means one of two things:

1: it means you're doing your job properly

2: your team sucks and you're clearly the only one doing anything (says me as a soldier, who had 5 gold medals for one game, including healing)

Season 1: Doesn't really matter since they totally overhauled the system
Season 2: Placed gold, finished high platinum
Season 3: Placed gold, finished diamond
Season 4: placed gold, finished platinum
Season 5: Placed gold, now ranking sitting a shade of 2000 because of a litany of throwers, leavers and other garbage.

Why the **** am i getting dumped in mid gold when the evidence clearly shows i'm at the minimum a platinum level player? (the diamond was a bit of anomaly i'll admit since i did have a crew to play with, though i did tank to 2600 and managed to bring myself back up solo)

This just furthers my theory that blizzard had no intentions of turning this into a "pro" game until the gravy train got to them. Make the actual team rating when you q up somehow separate from individual rating.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I feel like they should maybe have a system where if you place 3 seasons in a row, you can from then on keep your rank between seasons, or maybe an average between your highest and lowest SR's during the previous season

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Placements are based upon your hidden MMR. That's why it doesn't really matter if you go 8-2 or 2-8, because it's only 10 games against your career MMR. It's not any more about your individual performance than any other match.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
one of the Devs confirmed you lose aroun 200 SR between seasons, but your first 20 or so games after placement reward a little extra SR for wins

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Double XP weekend starting tonight

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20845154
It's been an incredible year, and we're so thankful you were a part of it. To celebrate our first Overwatch Anniversary together—and the community that made it all possible (that's you!)—all players who log in this weekend on PC, PlayStation 4, or Xbox One will receive double experience.

This bonus will apply to nearly all sources of in-game XP, including:

- Time spent in a match
- Completing a match
- Completing consecutive matches
- Winning a match
- Backfilling a match in progress
- Earning medals

It will also stack multiplicatively with existing group and IGR bonuses. The only experience it will not affect is your First Win of the Day bonus—which will remain at 1500 XP.

This bonus experience period begins in all regions across all platforms on Thursday, June 8 at 5:00 p.m. PDT (or Friday, June 9 at 00:00 UTC) and ends on Monday, June 12 at 11:59 p.m. PDT (or Tuesday, June 13 at 06:59 UTC). If you'd like to see when the bonus will go live in your region, check out the reference guides below. For additional time zone assistance, please visit thetimezoneconverter.com.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
one of the Devs confirmed you lose aroun 200 SR between seasons, but your first 20 or so games after placement reward a little extra SR for wins

Seems like a cheap way for them to encourage people to play the game more.
I've already noticed the placement matches are very inaccurate, I'm already over 2100 after a few easy wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad