Overrated players from the 2010s

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Nope. Elite HoF player. Rated as such.

I don't agree with anyone who says Toews.

3 Stanley Cups as captain. Conn Smythe. Selke Trophy. 2 Olympic Gold Medals. Named best forward at the 2010 Olympics. Usually very good in playoff situations.

There aren't many players over the last 10-15 years who have his resume.

Toews is easily a top 10 player from the 10s... How in the world is he overrated?

I might have misinterpreted the question, because Toews is an elite HOF player and his career isn't overrated, but IMO for a few years after his peak he remained near the very top of rankings (say top-5) whereas by then he had dropped down to top-10 or 15. A good example is how he was named a top-100 player over Malkin. To be clear, he was probably a top-3 centre for a few years there but after that he continued to be rated really highly.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
People answering this thread like they read "most overrated player the past 3 seasons".

Ffs E.K was hands down the best offensive defenseman of that decade, and in legit consideration for best player in the league at his peak. Ditto for Price, he's had troubles since 2017 but up till then he was pretty much a consensus top 3 goalie in the league for that decade with Rask and one of Luongo/Lundqvist. But oh well saying this will just reinforce their beliefs.

Halak is probably the goalie that was most overrated, but I have a Montreal's media bias where there was a "debate" between keeping Halak or Price lol
You can debate whether Burns or E.K was the best offensive D. No one else is in the discussion.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I might have misinterpreted the question, because Toews is an elite HOF player and his career isn't overrated, but IMO for a few years after his peak he remained near the very top of rankings (say top-5) whereas by then he had dropped down to top-10 or 15. A good example is how he was named a top-100 player over Malkin. To be clear, he was probably a top-3 centre for a few years there but after that he continued to be rated really highly.
Malkin should have made the list, but if you have to leave one off there's really no debate; Toews is better.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
That whole situation was a mess.
I think vegas is just a bad place for russian players in general, and shipachov went to a bad situation also under gallant. imo he really isn't a good coach when it comes to longevity, and it shows

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Crosby with all the talk, especially from Pens fans, about he is supposed to be the 5th greatest player of all time right behind Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Howe.

He is a great player for sure but 5th all time is a big LOL. :laugh:

The thing is that Crosby has been the best player since say 2000 (as a round number). Maybe you have him ranked 6th (I'm guessing not) but it seems unlikely that all of the all-timers played before 2000 and all recent players haven't been historically great.

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
The thing is that Crosby has been the best player since say 2000 (as a round number). Maybe you have him ranked 6th (I'm guessing not) but it seems unlikely that all of the all-timers played before 2000 and all recent players haven't been historically great.
Crosby is ONE OF the best players since 2000, not THE best every single year especially with Ovechkin and now McDavid. Crosby, Ovechkin and probably McDavid are all-time great players for sure but no one of them are consensus #5 behind the big Four. I said Crosby is overrated because Pens fans try to convince us he is, which is not true.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Malkin should have made the list, but if you have to leave one off there's really no debate; Toews is better.

Hang on - this isn't really the place to discuss this but as a quick comparison:

Malkin:
3 Cups, Calder, Hart, Pearson, 2 Art Ross, Conn Smythe
1089 points in 928 games

Toews:
3 Cups, Selke, Conn Smythe
815 points in 943 games

Toews also has better international success, but Malkin has a decent record there too.
I actually prefer Toews as a player but Malkin has had an amazing career.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You can debate whether Burns or E.K was the best offensive D. No one else is in the discussion.

I did not think it was really close so I looked it up.
if we're discussing the "decade" of 2010-2020, I think it's hard to argue against EK who had by far the best pts/g with 0.85 to Letang's 0.77 and Burns' 0.75.
And even with 64 less games played than Burns, E.K. leads all NHL defensemen with 577 points during that sequence. A level of play that he maintained in the playoffs (0.77 pts/game), so not the "star choker" either.

If anything it's become ridiculous how much people like to say he's overrated. Idk anyone who thinks that he's still that player who could win you a game by himself..

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Hang on - this isn't really the place to discuss this but as a quick comparison:

Malkin:
3 Cups, Calder, Hart, Pearson, 2 Art Ross, Conn Smythe
1089 points in 928 games

Toews:
3 Cups, Selke, Conn Smythe
815 points in 943 games

Toews also has better international success, but Malkin has a decent record there too.
I actually prefer Toews as a player but Malkin has had an amazing career.
Fair points. They're both exceptional.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad