Overrated players from the 2010s

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
As a Habs fan, Price is overrated when some think he is better than the GOAT Patrick Roy especially because of his Hart trophy.

Reactions: dukeofjive

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I don't agree with anyone who says Toews.

3 Stanley Cups as captain. Conn Smythe. Selke Trophy. 2 Olympic Gold Medals. Named best forward at the 2010 Olympics. Usually very good in playoff situations.

There aren't many players over the last 10-15 years who have his resume.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
That is also a good pick. I never thought he was a top 5 defenseman in the entire NHL like some people thought.

He was the 2010s version of Tomas Kaberle during the 2000-2010 decade.

well I don't think anybody thought of Kaberle as a top 5 defenceman the way OEL was.

to me McCabe was the overrated one on those teams.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Rick Nash is one of the most hilariously overrated players I've seen play in 30 years. Every year was his breakout year but he was a 30/30 players through and through - treated like a pt/game or better player.

Meanwhile people are like "Is Huberdeau really that good?" "is Draisaitl bad?"
Like it's not a number to toss away, but I was pretty amazed he only scored 289 goals with Colombus. The way he was talked about you'd think he was an easy 35-40 per year and he was nowhere near.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
I don't agree with anyone who says Toews.

3 Stanley Cups as captain. Conn Smythe. Selke Trophy. 2 Olympic Gold Medals. Named best forward at the 2010 Olympics. Usually very good in playoff situations.

There aren't many players over the last 10-15 years who have his resume.
Toews is easily a top 10 player from the 10s... How in the world is he overrated?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Like it's not a number to toss away, but I was pretty amazed he only scored 289 goals with Colombus. The way he was talked about you'd think he was an easy 35-40 per year and he was nowhere near.

Well back in the day, we gave our expansion teams zero chance to be competitive. Those teams were terrible around him.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

He's a fine player, but every year he was finally going to break out. When he was traded to NYR it was the unshackling of Rick Nash's offense after being suppressed by Columbus' system. He just was what he was. A good, fast, big goal scorer that people will make excuses for until the end of days.

If someone says he's basically a more physical Pacioretty they'd be hunted down, but it's a pretty apt comparison.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby with all the talk, especially from Pens fans, about he is supposed to be the 5th greatest player of all time right behind Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Howe.

He is a great player for sure but 5th all time is a big LOL. :laugh:
I think the vast majority of pundits would have him in the mix. At the very least, he'll end up top 10.

Perhaps, when the majority disagrees with you, it might be time to examine your own bias (and historical hockey knowledge). Just looking at your avatar, I think I know where to start....

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Well back in the day, we gave our expansion teams zero chance to be competitive. Those teams were terrible around him.
We also gave expansion teams no real rigging hehe

No but the NHL realizing that expansion teams sucking out of the gate was a bad idea, and making the teams protect less players as a result felt wrong, but the right thing to do if you are establishing a franchise. Minny, columbus, and especially nashville struggled with that

Reactions: 13th Floor

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Prime Rick Nash was an absolute monster of a player. If he'd had anything resembling a real 1C in either Columbus or New York, he would have hit 50 goals without breaking a sweat.

Rick Nash is my choice. All of the physical tools and hockey smarts. Zero heart. I couldn’t stand watching him take “scared” wrist shots from the blue line into the goalies chest time and time again for the Rangers. We have a cup if he plays with any kind of emotion. My least favorite player of all time.

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
I think the vast majority of pundits would have him in the mix. At the very least, he'll end up top 10. Perhaps, when the majority disagrees with you, it might be time to look at your own bias. Just looking at your avatar, I think I know where to start.
LOL but it's not though. :laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Toews was overrated during the Chicago glory years from 2010 to 2015, then he was underrated for the rest of the decade.

I don't think he qualifies.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Not surprising considering the same fanbase ran thier best goalie ever out of town.
I mean, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but okay buddy. It's not like the majority of Habs fans think he's overrated, I'm probably in the minority, for now. It wasn't fans that ran Roy out of town either; most fans were unhappy with Roy getting shipped out, myself included.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Toews was overrated during the Chicago glory years from 2010 to 2015, then he was underrated for the rest of the decade.

I don't think he qualifies.

Toews was absolutely incredible and dominant at times from 2009-2015....so not really sure what ur getting at....that was peak Toews...

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
All these players are relative to the hype I remember in regards to them when they broke into the NHL or their first couple seasons. So some will seem odd if you're thinking about how they've now been (correctly) regarded the last couple years:

Kyle Turris
Jake Gardiner
Matt Duchene
Mikael Granlund

Was Turris overly hyped as a 3rd OV pick? I don't remember that at all. I remember the Sens were getting blasted for trading Rundblad for him, and adding a second even!

Obviously, that was a great trade for the Sens in hindsight, and he was a serviceable 1#C for them too. Sure, age has caught up to him, but he was never overhyped, nor was he was ever highly regarded.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
This thread screams Matt Duchene. Remember his draft year some were saying he might end up being better than Hedman and Tavares.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He legit was pre-Cooke.

People answering this thread like they read "most overrated player the past 3 seasons".

Ffs E.K was hands down the best offensive defenseman of that decade, and in legit consideration for best player in the league at his peak. Ditto for Price, he's had troubles since 2017 but up till then he was pretty much a consensus top 3 goalie in the league for that decade with Rask and one of Luongo/Lundqvist. But oh well saying this will just reinforce their beliefs.

Halak is probably the goalie that was most overrated, but I have a Montreal's media bias where there was a "debate" between keeping Halak or Price lol

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
Even the most overtly biased Capitals fan on this site, Midnight Judges, has Sid in the #6 spot. If you find the notion of Crosby being the 5th best player of all time "lol"-worthy, I have to question your criteria.
First of all, I'm a Habs fan first, and just because a die-hard Capitals fan has Crosby in his #6 spot doesn't have to be true. :laugh:

I said Crosby was a great player, an all-time great if you prefer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->