Speculation: Ovechkin's new contract this summer

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What's freaky to me is that it's only his second contract... right off of ELC he signed that THIRTEEN YEAR monster of a contract and he lived up to it... and more. (speaking of monster contracts this would be the last year of Rick DiPietro's contract, crazy eh?)

And idk, what do ppg, 40-50 goal scorer wingers get paid nowadays? Skinner gets paid $9.5M, I think Ovy will be ok at $10M. Lenght will be risky if it goes as long as 4 years, but knowing the guy he'll find a way to live up to another insane contract.

It could be that Ovechkin and Backstrom's super long term contracts worked out to easily be the best of their kind.

As to his salary, the only issue is the percentage of the salary cap that it takes up. He is more than worth every penny of his check in merch sales alone.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It could be that Ovechkin and Backstrom's super long term contracts worked out to easily be the best of their kind.

As to his salary, the only issue is the percentage of the salary cap that it takes up. He is more than worth every penny of his check in merch sales alone.

Maybe the Crosby one will have them beat, the only other super-long-term contract that worked out that I can think of is Luongo.

And yeah that's fair for the salary cap percentage, but I don't think the Caps have the youth to worry about the salary cap in the next 3-4 years. Vrana and McMichael (potentially) are the most obvious candidates for big raises but McMichael is on ELC for another 2 years after this one, and they can move someone else to make space for Vrana.

I wonder if they'll start the rebuild before Ovy/Backstrom retires or try to milk it as much as they can like the Sharks did with Thornton

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe the Crosby one will have them beat, the only other super-long-term contract that worked out that I can think of is Luongo.

And yeah that's fair for the salary cap percentage, but I don't think the Caps have the youth to worry about the salary cap in the next 3-4 years. Vrana and McMichael (potentially) are the most obvious candidates for big raises but McMichael is on ELC for another 2 years after this one, and they can move someone else to make space for Vrana.

I wonder if they'll start the rebuild before Ovy/Backstrom retires or try to milk it as much as they can like the Sharks did with Thornton

It depends on how good Vrana and Wilson can be. It depends on if McMichael can be a legit 2c and at least one of their young defensemen a legit top 4. Carlson is going to provide points for years still. Ov and Backstrom will regress but neither appear to be the kind of player to collapse suddenly. Oshie is though. One day he might just go from good to suck. The other question is Kuznetsov. It appeared that when Backstrom started to slide from a 1c to a 2 that Kuzy would still be a legit 1c. If he isnt, they will have a challenge at center.

Reactions: abo9

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
As much Ovy is probably the GOAT of goalscorer . People saying 12.5m at his age in a covid cap are crazy. Maybe if covid never happened. But jesus 12.5m that's way too much.

It's back payment for playing on a steal his entire career.

Imagine if he signed a normal second contract that expired around the time Toews/Kane got 10.5 per

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
As much Ovy is probably the GOAT of goalscorer . People saying 12.5m at his age in a covid cap are crazy. Maybe if covid never happened. But jesus 12.5m that's way too much.

Also one thing to consider is revenue. If you’ve been to Washington, you’ll notice half the fans attending the game are wearing Ovechkin jerseys.

I suppose a lot of them would also not be as likely to show up at the game if he wasn’t there.

From a marketing and financial point of view, it would likely make more sense to overpay him by about $3-4M per season to gain the extra revenue in merchandise, tickets sold, increased ticket prices and high brand/name recognition.

Ovechkin put hockey on the map in Washington and is still the largest part of their on ice success.

I don’t think Ted Leonsis would be thrilled at all if they missed out on revenue just because they wouldn’t pay the price for Ovechkin’s contributions, on and off the ice.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Pay the man whatever he wants.

Ovechkin's agent:

giphy.gif

Agent...get it, cause he's KGB...I'll see myself out...

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
He should just re-up at the same number for 4 more years, should be that easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad