Speculation: Ovechkin's new contract this summer

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
He’s never getting to Gretzky’s record

he needs 183 more

That is absolutely attainable; even at a 30g pace he would get it done in his age 41 season. If he can score another 120g in the next 3 years, then he only needs 63 over the following 3 (21/season) --- very very doable. Even as he ages, 41/42 isn't some decrepit senior citizen, he will still be able to launch the puck on the powerplay.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
he needs 183 more

That is absolutely attainable; even at a 30g pace he would get it done in his age 41 season. If he can score another 120g in the next 3 years, then he only needs 63 over the following 3 (21/season) --- very very doable. Even as he ages, 41/42 isn't some decrepit senior citizen, he will still be able to launch the puck on the powerplay.
Hes probably a good old canadian who only loves canadian players (probably from alberta)

If he scores on average 40 next 2 he’ll be 80ish behind you think he’ll just stop? He’ll forever be a legend in russia being the nhl all time leading goal scorer

Hes already better imo he didnt have the benefit of taking shots from far away and having the goalies always do leg kicks like gretzky did ... unless he gets injured he’ll 100% get the record even if it means hes playing till 41-43 .... record would be a huge deal for russia

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Question is does he want to keep playing. From the retired players that I have heard on the radio, one of the primary reasons to call it a career is that they don't want to do the off-season training that it takes to be NHL ready. Kids get older, body hurts a bit, made their money, won a championship.

For Ovy, you think about how many games he's lost. He was days short of the 2003 draft, which would have given him another 82 games, he had the work stoppage season of another 82 games, plus the shortened 48 season, lost about 12 games to Covid last season and another 26 to Covid this season.

That is 82, 82, 34, 12, 26 games lost which is 236 games. If he got 100 goals for the 210 games he lost out on up to this season, he'd be what like 84 goals away from Wayne. He'd break that with either a big 2 year span at his age of 42 goals per season this year and next or he'd do it in 3 seasons for sure.

Things unfortunately for Ovy just did not line up.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Stays in Washington..............3-4 yr deal probably 10-11M per season...

I can't see the Capitals not bringing him back, but if he ends up on the Lundqvist route I could absolutely see Ovechkin in Montreal, New York (R), Pittsburgh, Toronto or Edmonton.

Montreal - He has always said how much he likes the city, a player like him would be a dream for Bergevin, will have young Nick Suzuki to be his center which isn't too shabby

New York Rangers - Panarin. Big city, get the chance to be a superstar without being in Canada.

Pittsburgh - Malkin; I think they have put a lot of their differences aside over the past few years and are likely friends due to international stuff. Gives Ovi an elite Russian center and puts him on a chance where he can win - would be weird due to Washington/Pittsburgh rivalry, but idk how much Ovi cares about stuff like that.

Toronto - Gets to play with great players and in a big city. Doesn't have to be "the guy" and can just focus on scoring in bunches. Joins an already deadly powerplay to make one of the best in the League

Edmonton - Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. And just like the Edmonton Oilers, that's all I got.

Reactions: BLONG7

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Caps rebuild starts the minute Ovechkin and Backstrom retire. A year or two more to prolong this doesn't change a thing. He wants 4x12, you give it to him. No matter if the last two years have negative value. Washington Capitals = Alex Ovechkin.

Reactions: filinski77

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Hes probably a good old canadian who only loves canadian players (probably from alberta)

If he scores on average 40 next 2 he’ll be 80ish behind you think he’ll just stop? He’ll forever be a legend in russia being the nhl all time leading goal scorer

Hes already better imo he didnt have the benefit of taking shots from far away and having the goalies always do leg kicks like gretzky did ... unless he gets injured he’ll 100% get the record even if it means hes playing till 41-43 .... record would be a huge deal for russia
Will talk again in two years and see how the progress is going . Due to covid issues , age and injuries I can’t see it . Good luck though .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will talk again in two years and see how the progress is going . Due to covid issues , age and injuries I can’t see it . Good luck though .
183 goals is 4 seasons of 46 goals per season. 3 seasons of 61 goals. Or 5 seasons of 37 goals. And he loses 26 games this seasons, so that will hurt his chances.

If everything had lined up better for Ovy, being drafted in 2003 vs 2004, no lockout in 04-05 season, no Covid, he'd probably put up around 100 goals over that 210 games missed. Meaning he'd be 2 seasons of 42 goals behind Wayne. Would likely sign for 1 year to see if he could break the record next season, then decide whether he wants to play another season when he begins it at age 37. Score on Seattle so that he would have scored against 31 teams.

But, that didn't happen for him. Which is a shame. because he really is the best goal scorer in the history of the NHL.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A 5 year deal gets him out at 40. Thats enough time to get the record. I think the cap hit depends on COVID and revenue projections.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Goodluck with what? Im not a caps fan i just think he’ll break it unless he gets injured, he’d still be on pace for like 40 goals this yr if he pops in another 20 hes 160ish behind ... the only thing that will stop him is if he gets hurt , cant see him dropping down to just 20 goals and under a yr for at least another 3-4 yrs his shot just too good

We’ll see what happens

Reactions: TheGhost

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
A 5 year deal gets him out at 40. Thats enough time to get the record. I think the cap hit depends on COVID and revenue projections.
I dont think he needs to sign that long but even if hes at 850-860 lets say at age 40 and hes that close he’ll play till hes 42 if need be to get the record

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
, age and injuries I can’t see it.

Can you point out injury history with Alex Ovechkin? I dont think he has missed a dozen games with injury in his career. While injuries are possible, seeing his well established track record i wouldnt assume

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'd expect at least 2 x 10 from the Caps, but it could easily be more if he goes elsewhere.

I would love for him to break Gretzky's record, but I think he'll end up in 2nd all time, which is still an incredible feat for the era he's played in.

While he's been incredibly durable and consistent, it's all the other things that cost him between the lockout year, the shortened season, and COVID.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
No need for any ovechkin fans to get worked up . I just don’t see him maintaining a pace of 5 years for 36-37 goals a season . I’ve been wrong before so I’m sure I will be again . Just my personal opinion he won’t make it . I respect your views he will . Like I said good luck .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Can you point out injury history with Alex Ovechkin? I dont think he has missed a dozen games with injury in his career. While injuries are possible, seeing his well established track record i wouldnt assume
No he’s been amazingly healthy . He’ll need that to continue to get close . Maybe he’ll continue to avoid the injury bug . As he ages I see at least nagging injuries coming up .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad