Speculation: Ovechkin's new contract this summer

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I know Ovechkin has said he's going to re-sign in Washington but humour me, what would he get on the open market? What AAV and what term?

Is $10M AAV for 2 years in the ballpark? That's what I think he should get.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will nhlers follow LeBron, Brady, and be willing to witch teams?

See what Ovy decides to do.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I know Ovechkin has said he's going to re-sign in Washington but humour me, what would he get on the open market? What AAV and what term?

Is $10M AAV for 2 years in the ballpark? That's what I think he should get.

Right, on the heels of Backstrom getting 9.2 x 5 that makes perfect sense

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ovechkin is either gonna re-sign with the Caps or finish his hockey career with KHL. I say he will do $8 million per year on his next contract. To pay him like $12 million per year at age 35+ is not good spending, no matter how good he can still shoot the puck. You have to remember that with an unknown new TV deal and we don't exactly know when NHL arenas will be full capacity again, the salary cap could decrease.

Reactions: Morrison

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ovechkin is either gonna re-sign with the Caps or finish his hockey career with KHL. I say he will do $8 million per year on his next contract. To pay him like $12 million per year at age 35+ is not good spending, no matter how good he can still shoot the puck. You have to remember that with an unknown new TV deal and we don't exactly know when NHL arenas will be full capacity again, the salary cap could decrease.
The guy isn't taking a decrease in his wage, a million more seems somewhat reasonable but the guy should be able to ask and get whatever he wants from the caps organization. He made them relevant for 15 + years

Reactions: Accelleratii

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Hes still scoring and getting over a pt a game

I dont know the term cause of his age years but the guys unreal maybe 2 x 10-11 .... im sure he’ll try 3 yrs

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Hes not going to the khl man , guys chasing Gretzky’s record ... im sure vladimir’s got him on the case

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I know he is still, at worse, a top 5 goal scorer in the league, but 12M for him at his age is absolute insanity.
Insanity, sure, but would you be surprised if a GM offered that up? I wouldn't. But I also don't think he'd leave the Caps. I think he'll get around $10.5 million per from Washington on a 3-4 year deal and he stays. It would be fun to see him sign in somewhere like Seattle though. Would be some good PR.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Insanity, sure, but would you be surprised if a GM offered that up? I wouldn't. But I also don't think he'd leave the Caps. I think he'll get around $10.5 million per from Washington on a 3-4 year deal and he stays. It would be fun to see him sign in somewhere like Seattle though. Would be some good PR.

I would not be surprised if Washington offered him that contract. They always put him ahead of the rest of the team (and that's fine, he made them a LOT of money).

They got their Cup, there is probably more money for them in Ovechkin catching Gretzky and spending his entire career in DC than there is in trying to re-open a window that is probably closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->